Thread poster: Yuki Okada

Yuki Okada  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 16:43
Member (2007)
English to Japanese
+ ...
Oct 26, 2011

I installed Trados Studio2011 last week. After I was "welcomed" by some erroneous behaviors, I got a big one.

I opened a ttx file and an xls file with 2011, and created their sdlxliff files. I saw some abnormal behaviors so I wanted to switch back to 2009. I closed 2011 and launched 2009. When I tried to open the sdlxliff files with 2009, it said the file was created using a newer version of Studio and cannot be opened. I ended up starting from a scratch using 2009.

I had asked the SDL support if I would be able to send files back and forth between 2009 and 2011, and the answer was affirmative. Obviously the reality is not. I would think that there are forward and backward compatibilities in some cases, but not in cases like above.

This means that until all your clients and client's clients and translators have converted to 2011, you cannot use 2011.

Yuki

Direct link Reply with quote

Stanislav Pokorny  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
Local time: 01:43
English to Czech
+ ...
Not entirely true Oct 26, 2011

Hi Yuki,
I don't have experience with simply copying SDLXLIFF files between 2009 and 2011, but your clients can always use the "Create Studio 2009 Project Package..." to send off work, provided they have the Professional version of course.

I'm sorry though I can't help you resolve your file transfer problems.

Yuki Okada wrote:
This means that until all your clients and client's clients and translators have converted to 2011, you cannot use 2011.

Yuki

Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Not realy true Oct 26, 2011

Have you tried to open the SDLXLIFF file or the project file?
While SDL Trados Studio 2011 project packages are NOT backward compatible, you can still open SDLXLIFF files between the versions.
You can also easily receive 2009 packages in Studio 2011 and deliver them back. I am doing this since March, as I got the first beta.
So without knowing your exact way of working and what you really have done, I tend to say you must have done something wrong - as I did not have any such problems.
I have even tested that now: opened a SDXLIFF file from Studio 2011 in Studio 2009 with no slightest problem.

Canada
Member (2007)
English to Japanese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
It was sdlxliff Oct 26, 2011

It was sdlxliff files as I said. I believe I saw somewhere that packages are forward and backward compatible, though I have not tested it myself.

I now know at least sdlxliff files from 2011 opened all right with 2009 with Jerzy's machine. It was not the case with mine as I said.

Yuki

Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Could you please test again Oct 26, 2011

with another SDLXLIFF file?
It should open without problems.
As for project packages: they are not compatible, so you need to create a Studio 2009 package within Studio 2011. The reason is the missing folder for File Formats in a Studio 2011 package.

Canada
Member (2007)
English to Japanese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
OK this time Oct 26, 2011

Hi Jerzy,

I created another sdlxliff file from a simple doc file with 2011. It opened all right with 2009. I then went back to two sdlxliff files I previously mentioned. They opened with 2009 with no error! There was a computer reboot in-between.

So I guess it is compatible, but with some instability.

This sort of instability is not uncommon to SDL products as far as my experiences go. I just can't reply on something that may or may not work. I would like to waste no more time and I am going back to 2009 until I see some evidence that none of clients would have compatibility issues.

Yuki

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Studio2011 files do not open with Studio2009

Advanced search

Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search