Thread poster: Chris Dawe
Chris Dawe
Chris Dawe  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 01:54
Portuguese to English
+ ...
Oct 27, 2011

Dear All, I've saved a client TM onto my machine and I when drill down to the location it's stored at, I can't find it. No matter what I select in File of type, the five TM files just don't appear. Does anyone know where I'm going wrong? Best, Chris.

Martina Klett
Martina Klett  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 02:54
Italian to German
+ ...
Are you searching in Windows Explorer or... Oct 27, 2011

Dear Chris,

are you looking in WE and can't find the files or are you searching in Workbench (by the way which Trados version?)?

As for Trados 2007: If you want to import a customer memory in your TM, it must have either .txt or .tmx format - you cannot import .tmw files. In order to create .txt or .tmx open the customer memory in Workbench and export it. Normally the best results are obtained choosing tmx1.4b.

HTH,
Martina

Chris Dawe
United Kingdom
Portuguese to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
.tmw files Oct 27, 2011

Hi Martina, thanks very much. I was actually searching through Workbench. It's actually the Freelance 2007 Suite. Yes, I was in fact trying to import .tmw files, and that's where I was going wrong it seems. Turns out the client TM was empty anyway, they'd just created a shell for me. Cheers, Chris.

Michal Berski
Michal Berski  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 02:54
Polish to English
+ ...
It should be avoided Oct 28, 2011

Dear Chris,

Considering my experience, you should NEVER merge any other TM with your own. Client's TM usually contains a lot of rubbish, errors and stuff translated by many translators. If you are to use TM provided by your client, use it separetely (eg. using "translate" function from Workbench) and then translate remaining portion using your own TM

Regards,

Michal

Chris Dawe
United Kingdom
Portuguese to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Noted Oct 28, 2011

Thanks very much Michal. I hadn't thought of that...the "polluting" element of doing this. I'll think twice next time before diving in head first. Cheers, Chris.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Importing client TM into Workbench

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »