Is there a Workbench in Trados Studio 2011?
Thread poster: Carolin Krüger

Carolin Krüger
Germany
Local time: 12:30
English to German
+ ...
Oct 27, 2011

I am sorry if this question seems stupid but I just bought Trados Studio 2011 and I dont get it! Is there something like a workbench that can be used with MS Word (like in Trados 2007)? There is only a MultiTerm tab in Word...

Sorry again for the newbie question. Hope you can help!

Direct link Reply with quote

Helmaninquiel
English to Spanish
+ ...
It's an standalone program Oct 27, 2011

So there is no such option in MS Word. Once you get used to it, you won't want to go back to Word

Post removed: This post was hidden by a moderator or staff member for the following reason: duplicate posting

Chris S  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Swedish to English
+ ...
If you want to work in Word Oct 27, 2011

Trados is no longer an option. Instead I would recommend Wordfast Classic. Essentially the same as "old" Trados but better. And cheaper. And fully compatible wth Trados.

I still use TagEditor occasionally for customers who insist on tagged output (ttx files) but otherwise I have moved on from Trados, and given the severe limitations of all the "standalone translation environments" I can't imagine moving back.

Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 13:30
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
Disadvantages of stand-alone applications Oct 28, 2011

Stand-alone applications are fine if the texts come in well-defined formats for dtp or if the source files are carefully prepared for translation. But always when you have to deal with scanned and optically character-recognized files or Word-files from people not trained in using word-processor-software you are better off with tools that use Word as editor. Wordfast Classic was always more versatile than the Trados WB version.
So the choice depends on your clients. If they use SDL software you have to follow suite.

Carolin Krüger
Germany
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you! Oct 28, 2011

I feel a bit less stupid now and I do hope I'll get used to it. Thanks again to all of you.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Is there a Workbench in Trados Studio 2011?

Advanced search

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search