SDL Trados Starter Edition: is it enough for a beginner?
Thread poster: PGarciaJones

PGarciaJones  Identity Verified
English to Spanish
Oct 27, 2011

Hi everyone,

I have recently started off as a full-time freelancer and have never used TRADOS before. From what I gathered from the online demo, it looks like it will take me a while to get the hang of it (I am not a techie by any stretch of the imagination).

I was wondering what your thoughts were about the Starter Edition 2011. On the website, it says that it is a scaled down version of the regular one but in terms of cost, it is significantly cheaper. I know that using TRADOS is a must for translators these days and that I should view it as an investment for the future but do you think the Starter version would be enough to begin with? Would it be good enough to tackle most translation assignments and to get familiarised with the software?

Any suggestions and comments would be much welcomed.

Many thanks,

Paula

Direct link Reply with quote

Helmaninquiel
Local time: 13:13
English to Spanish
+ ...
Some important functions missing (for me) Oct 28, 2011

Well, it depends.
As far as I can see, the TM size is limited to 5,000 translation units. If you are creating your own memory, probably that wont be a problem, but if you are sent a big TM...
And there is no option to work with Trados bilingual files (bad if you are requested to deliver clean and unclean files).
You cant convert translation memories into .SDLTM...
And you cant't convert excel glossaries into Multiterm ones or feed glossaries.
But this is something you have to think by yourself, because maybe you are not interested in working with terminology or are used to work with Excel glossaries. Or maybe you don't need to deliver unclean files...

[Edited at 2011-10-28 10:32 GMT]

PGarciaJones  Identity Verified
English to Spanish
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks... Oct 28, 2011

As a complete neophyte, I am yet to discover the many wonderful functions that TRADOS offers. I have done a basic tutorial online and I can understand what you mean. Ultimately, I know that it will be essential for me to have a full version of it so that I can become competitive in the field so it might be sensible to make that investment sooner rather than later and to become fully conversant in it in the near future.

Gracias otra vez,

Paula

SoniaRota  Identity Verified
Italy
Italian to English
+ ...
Infact it is a waste of money ! Oct 30, 2011

PGarciaJones wrote:

As a complete neophyte, I am yet to discover the many wonderful functions that TRADOS offers. I have done a basic tutorial online and I can understand what you mean. Ultimately, I know that it will be essential for me to have a full version of it so that I can become competitive in the field so it might be sensible to make that investment sooner rather than later and to become fully conversant in it in the near future.

Gracias otra vez,

Paula

SoniaRota  Identity Verified
Italy
Italian to English
+ ...
SDL Trados Starter Edition... a waste of money Oct 30, 2011

Yes Paula, you are correct you need to have a full version in order to fully perfom. The SDL Trados Started is nothing better than using Google Translator which is free !

Sonia

Emma Goldsmith  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2010)
Spanish to English
apples and pears Oct 30, 2011

SoniaRota wrote:

The SDL Trados Started is nothing better than using Google Translator which is free !

Sonia

I think the comparison of Studio 2011 and Google Translator may be misleading. Studio isn't machine translation at all. If Paula wants to learn the basics of Studio before she makes a big investment, the Starter Version may be the way to go.

Of course it has drawbacks (mainly the limited TM size and lack of backwards compatability to produce ttxs or work with bilingual docs, IMO), but €100 is a reasonable amount to spend for a year to try it out.

Here is the feature comparison table for the different versions:
http://www.translationzone.com/en/translator-products/sdl-trados-studio/#tab2

Another option would be a group buy here on Proz, to purchase the Freelance version at a discounted price. http://www.proz.com/tgb/

[Edited at 2011-10-30 16:57 GMT]

Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Fine for freelancers Oct 30, 2011

PGarciaJones wrote:
I was wondering what your thoughts were about the Starter Edition 2011. On the website, it says that it is a scaled down version of the regular one but in terms of cost, it is significantly cheaper.

The Starter Edition will not allow you to cooperate with agencies that "require" Trados, because such agencies usually require features that the Starter Edition does not offer (such as support for Uncleaned RTF of TagEditor). So the Starter Edition is for translators who want to get the benefit of using a CAT tool but who do not need the CAT tool specifically because clients require it.

[Edited at 2011-10-30 16:47 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

SDL Trados Starter Edition: is it enough for a beginner?

Advanced search

memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search