Importing old MultiTerm Dictionary into Trados 6.5
Thread poster: Korina Hansel
Korina Hansel
Korina Hansel  Identity Verified
Local time: 11:30
English to German
May 10, 2004

Hi,
I have read severalquestions and answers in this forum and realized that there are some Trados-experts out there. Now I hope that you can help me with the following problem:
I have recently finished a translation job where the agency provided a termbase (Trados MultiTerm Dictionary Version 1.36). Now I would like to import this termbase into Trados 6.5 Freelance. The problem is that both programmes use different file formats (.md vs .tmw).
Does anybody know a way of import
... See more
Hi,
I have read severalquestions and answers in this forum and realized that there are some Trados-experts out there. Now I hope that you can help me with the following problem:
I have recently finished a translation job where the agency provided a termbase (Trados MultiTerm Dictionary Version 1.36). Now I would like to import this termbase into Trados 6.5 Freelance. The problem is that both programmes use different file formats (.md vs .tmw).
Does anybody know a way of importing this old dictionary into the new programme?

I appreciate your comments. Thanks a lot in advance.

Korina
Collapse

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Not sure whether import is possible May 10, 2004

Hi Korina,
MultiTerm Dictionary is a file format commonly used to distribute term lists without providing import capability; this is often done to protect material from third-party usage. AFAIK you cannot import this, at least not directly - unless anyone can come up with some tricks here?

Best regards, Ralf

Korina Hansel
English to German
TOPIC STARTER
Is import necessary? May 10, 2004

Hi Ralf,

Thanks for your reply.
I understand that third party rights need to be reserved and that, therefore, direct import is not wanted and probably not even necessary. I guess what I am aiming at is whether I can use this termbase alongside with the other conveniences Trados Workbench provides.
Can anyone give me any hints on how to get the two to work together? In Workbench>Options>Term Recognition Options...
I cannot select this termbase.

Thanks
... See more
Hi Ralf,

Thanks for your reply.
I understand that third party rights need to be reserved and that, therefore, direct import is not wanted and probably not even necessary. I guess what I am aiming at is whether I can use this termbase alongside with the other conveniences Trados Workbench provides.
Can anyone give me any hints on how to get the two to work together? In Workbench>Options>Term Recognition Options...

Thanks to the Proz,

Korina
Collapse

Ralf Lemster
Germany
English to German
+ ...
No integration of MD May 10, 2004

Hi again, Korina,
To answer your latest question: importing MD data isn't possible (actually, it never was) - importing terminology data into a termbase (either MT5.5 or MTiX 6.2) is necessary if you want to use the term recognition function in Workbench. (Note that MultiTerm Dictionary never provided this integration - just double-checked with Trados.)

I guess what I am aiming at is whether I can use this termbase alongside with the other conveniences Trados Workbench provides.

Alongside is the key word here...

Because it isn't a termbase, in a technical sense: to use term recognition in Workbench, you need to specify the terminology provider: either MultiTerm 5.5 (in which case you need to have a MT5.5 termbase comprising a .mtw file plus several index files) or MultiTerm iX (which needs to be installed to be able to select a termbase in the dialogue).

In any case, the data must be provided either in the native database format, or in a format which can be used for import, e.g. CSV or .txt.

HTH, Ralf

consuelo buitrago
consuelo buitrago
Local time: 05:30
English to Spanish
+ ...
To import the termbase, first you have to export it... May 14, 2004

The requirement to import is that the file you are importing is a text file. From MultiTerm you can export to a .txt file. To do that you must first configure certain parameters, etc. Then you have to import the file. Again, you first have to configure the parameters and then you can import the .txt file. I know it can be done, but you will have to read the MultiTerm manual (which is huge) and follow the procedure. If you don't have a Trados version that allows you to do that, let me know, may... See more
The requirement to import is that the file you are importing is a text file. From MultiTerm you can export to a .txt file. To do that you must first configure certain parameters, etc. Then you have to import the file. Again, you first have to configure the parameters and then you can import the .txt file. I know it can be done, but you will have to read the MultiTerm manual (which is huge) and follow the procedure. If you don't have a Trados version that allows you to do that, let me know, maybe I can do it for you (I'd have to read up though, can't remember how to do it).
Good luck!
Collapse

Ralf Lemster
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Not with MT Dictionary May 14, 2004

Hi,
The very point of MT Dictionary (which, BTW, is no longer sold by Trados) was to provide terminology without giving access to the data. IOW exporting from MD isn't possible unless you have the source termbase.

Best regards, Ralf

consuelo buitrago
consuelo buitrago
English to Spanish
+ ...
I don't understand you.... May 14, 2004

Ralf Lemster wrote:

Hi,
The very point of MT Dictionary (which, BTW, is no longer sold by Trados) was to provide terminology without giving access to the data. IOW exporting from MD isn't possible unless you have the source termbase.

Best regards, Ralf

Could you explain what the acronyms IOW and MD mean? Better still, could you expand on your comment? I really don't understand what you mean when you say that ..."the very point of MT dictionary was to provide terminology without giving access to the data." Please explain, I am confused.
Just by way of information, I have used Trados for five years no, so I do have some level of knowledge. Still, I am confused by your comments.
I look forward to your reply, I am simply mistified, and in no way intend confrontation! Have a good weekend,
Consuelo

Ralf Lemster
Germany
English to German
+ ...
No export from MT Dictionary May 14, 2004

Hi Consuelo,
No problem, and sorry for being cryptic.

"IOW" just means in other words, and "MD" was shorthand for MultiTerm Dictionary.

MD used to be a tool to publish dictionaries - if you have a look at MultiTerm Online, you'll get the idea (although it's worth mentioning that the technology running this website is different). For example,
... See more
Hi Consuelo,
No problem, and sorry for being cryptic.

"IOW" just means in other words, and "MD" was shorthand for MultiTerm Dictionary.

MD used to be a tool to publish dictionaries - if you have a look at MultiTerm Online, you'll get the idea (although it's worth mentioning that the technology running this website is different). For example, that site offers the Euterpe termbase provided by the European Parliament. You can look up terms, but you cannot download or extract any of the data. In contrast, if you have a termbase in MultiTerm, you can export it and send it to someone else, who will then be able to incorporate these terms into his/her databases.

Looking at it from a process point of view, you can integrate a MultiTerm termbase into your translation process (as Workbench has an interface to MultiTerm). That's why you can use automatic term recognition, displaying terminology based on what's in the segment you're working on. With MT Dictionary, you would need to search manually, and to paste it into your segment (pretty much like with any dictionary on CD-ROM, for example).

Hope that clarifies things - if not, please let me know.

Best regards, Ralf

[Edited at 2004-05-14 20:54]
Collapse

consuelo buitrago
consuelo buitrago
English to Spanish
+ ...
Trados 6.5 and MultiTerm May 14, 2004

Ralph, thanks for your response.
I am going to go through the steps here just so we both follow the process not because you and I don't know what they are (you have to be ever-so-careful not to offend anyone...) but for the sake of the example itself.
When I am using Trados 6.5 to translate I have Workbench open and say, MsWord.
As I run into a term found in MultiTerm, I can see the term displayed in Workbench on the right side of the window. I can choose to place it in the tra
... See more
Ralph, thanks for your response.
I am going to go through the steps here just so we both follow the process not because you and I don't know what they are (you have to be ever-so-careful not to offend anyone...) but for the sake of the example itself.
As I run into a term found in MultiTerm, I can see the term displayed in Workbench on the right side of the window. I can choose to place it in the translation simply by clicking in the appropriate Trados menu bar... (I don't have to "Copy" and then "Paste".)
Ok, so my question is, why are you saying that the MultiTerm database is not incorporated into Trados' functionality? I find it works very well.

However, on ohe subject of creating or updating a MultiTerm database, it can be done, regardless of the file format, becuase you can convert it to a compatible format. Knowledge of macros is an asset (but then, with just a little time, you can learn how to use macros in Excel and Word, at least) and then you simply import the terms to your MultiTerm database.

To summarize, I'd like to say this: I've worked with Trados and MultiTerm for 4 or 5 years now. I have imported all the glossaries I had, I have updated to Trados 6.5 and MultiTerm 5.5 and all my glossaries are doing fine. It is possible that the features offered in Trados did not do the job I needed and that I was able to use other tools (MSOffice only, no other fancy stuff) to get around the problem and produce the results I needed.

Thanks Ralf, for your input, and please add anything else you think is pertinent. I am forever grateful for your input.
Take care,
Consuelo
Collapse

Ralf Lemster
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Ever tried MT *Dictionary*? May 15, 2004

Hi again,

You have to go a long way to offend me with a question... but I know which response you're referring to (not in this thread). Don't take that personal.

As I run into a term found in MultiTerm, I can see the term displayed in Workbench on the right side of the window. I can choose to place it in the translation simply by clicking in the appropriate Trados menu bar... (I don't have to "Copy" and then "Paste".)

Correct, if you are using MultiTerm 5.x or MTiX. The original question in this thread was about MultiTerm Dictionary.

Ok, so my question is, why are you saying that the MultiTerm database is not incorporated into Trados' functionality? I find it works very well.

Please re-read my posts: I said MultiTerm Dictionary is not integrated, and that's by design. Try to use the Euterpe data (from the website I quoted) when translating, and you'll see what I mean.

It's probably worth mentioning that MultiTerm Dictionary is a separate application, not a general reference to a termbase.

However, on ohe subject of creating or updating a MultiTerm database, it can be done, regardless of the file format, becuase you can convert it to a compatible format. Knowledge of macros is an asset (but then, with just a little time, you can learn how to use macros in Excel and Word, at least) and then you simply import the terms to your MultiTerm database.

Once again, that's correct for a termbase under MT5.x or MTiX.

To summarize, I'd like to say this: I've worked with Trados and MultiTerm for 4 or 5 years now. I have imported all the glossaries I had, I have updated to Trados 6.5 and MultiTerm 5.5 and all my glossaries are doing fine.

Question: have you ever used the application MultiTerm Dictionary?

I'm not saying Trados cannot do all these things - what I'm saying (in response to the original question) is that you cannot export data from MultiTerm Dictionary (and then import it to your databases), simply because the product was designed not to permit that.

Best regards, Ralf

consuelo buitrago
consuelo buitrago
English to Spanish
+ ...
Ok, I see how I was confused! May 15, 2004

Sorry, Ralph, I was confused... No, I haven't used the MultiTerm Dictionary, I thought the references in this thread were to Trados MT... Thank you for your patience
Consuelo

Korina Hansel
English to German
TOPIC STARTER
So much confusion! May 17, 2004

Hi Consuelo, Hi Ralf,

Consuelo, I understand your confusion. Just like you, I assumed that the MT Dictionary could easily be included into Trados workbench (just like MT 5.5 and so on) for more convenience. Ralf, however, is right in saying that the MT dictionary does not allow for integration because certain copyrights need to be protected. The termbase I originally received for the job was compiled by a large company. The vocabulary relates directly to their specific needs. Which
... See more
Hi Consuelo, Hi Ralf,

Consuelo, I understand your confusion. Just like you, I assumed that the MT Dictionary could easily be included into Trados workbench (just like MT 5.5 and so on) for more convenience. Ralf, however, is right in saying that the MT dictionary does not allow for integration because certain copyrights need to be protected. The termbase I originally received for the job was compiled by a large company. The vocabulary relates directly to their specific needs. Which means that will have to keep copying and pasting (sigh!).
Ralph, thank you for your comments.

Korina
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Importing old MultiTerm Dictionary into Trados 6.5

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »