Trados Studio: Alt + Up Arrow - what does it do?
Thread poster: Wendy Cummings

Wendy Cummings  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 13:18
Member (2006)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Oct 28, 2011

I have Trados Studio 2009. By accident I mis-hit a key combination and discovered that a black outline appeared around the segment I was translating. I have since discovered that this is obtained by pressing Alt + Up/down-arrow. If you then use Alt + up/down arrow again, the black outline moves to the segment above/below.

If you then hit Alt + Space, the outlined segment gets faintly highlighted. If you then hit up-arrow or down-arrow, the black outline disappears.

It doesn't seem to do anything, and it has no discernible effect on the translation or the files. But I still want to know what its for!

Can anyone shed any light?

Thanks!

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 14:18
English
Manually selecting segments with the keyboard Oct 28, 2011

Hi Wendy,

Hold the alt key down and then use the arrow up and down keys to navigate the document, pressing the space bar everytime you hit a segment you wish to select. The active segment will have the black outline so yo know where you are, and selected segments will be yellowed.

Regards

Paul

United Kingdom
Member (2006)
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
not the same! Oct 28, 2011

Hold the alt key down and then use the arrow up and down keys to navigate the document, pressing the space bar everytime you hit a segment you wish to select. The active segment will have the black outline so yo know where you are, and selected segments will be yellowed.

That's not what happens! The black outline is not around the active segment. The cursor remains in whatever segment I have been typing in. So even if i move the black outline to several segments away, when i type anything (including hitting the spacebar) it just continues to type in the original segment I was using.

United Kingdom
English
Maybe I explained this poorly Oct 28, 2011

Hi Wendy,

The cursor will stay in whatever segment you are currently in. Using these keyboard shorcuts still allow you to select multiple segments with the keyboard and then perform whatever functions you want on these selected segments. When I say the black outline is showing you where you are it is because you need this to see where you are because the cursor stays in the active segment.

Is this a little more clear?

Regards

Paul

United Kingdom
Member (2006)
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Maybe its because its Friday... Oct 28, 2011

...or maybe i'm just being really thick!

I have been playing around with this feature, and i cannot see how i select multiple segments using the black outline function, or how I can then modify the outlined segment.

The usual method for selecting multilpe segments is Alt + SHIFT + up/down arrow. That then highlights several segments (pinkish highlight) (with one of them having a black outline) and I can perform whatever functions I like.

But the key function i'm playing with is Alt + up/down arrow (i.e. no Shift), and it only outlines one segment at a time. That segment remains outlined in black, until I actively get rid of it (and the only way i've found of doing that is by highlighting it with Alt + Space and then hitting any key.

I'm sure its not really important, but it's just annoying me!

United Kingdom
English
It's probably just not what you think it is Oct 28, 2011

Hi Wendy,

As a couple of examples you can do things like this:

Hold down the Alt key and then use the down arrow to get to the segment you want (can be any segment not just the next one) and then when you get there press the space bar (keeping the Alt key down). Then select a couple more in the same way so you have several segments selected (they will be the yellow ones).

Now press Ctrl+L and you will see all the segments you selected are now locked.

Do the same thing again, and this time once all the segments are selected press Ctrl+Ins and you will copy source to targeyt for all the segments you just selected.

One more example... this time hold the Alt key down and use the space bar, then down arrow, then space bar and down arrow, then space bar again so you select three consecutive segments (within the same paragraph) and then press Ctrl+Alt+s and all three segments will be merged.

Maybe this will make it a little more clear what this feature is for?

Regards

Paul

United Kingdom
Member (2006)
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you! Oct 28, 2011

Yes, that's clear now. I'm not sure i'll ever use the function, but at least now I know what it's for!!

Thanks for your patience in explaining it!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Trados Studio: Alt + Up Arrow - what does it do?

Advanced search

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
SDL Trados Studio 2019 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2019 has evolved to bring translators a brand new experience. Designed with user experience at its core, Studio 2019 transforms how new users get up and running, helps experienced users make the most of the powerful features, ensures new

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search