"Studio v2009 Freelance Plus" 2nd installation on a Windows 7 Starter, shared internet acess?
Thread poster: Pavel Tsvetkov

Pavel Tsvetkov  Identity Verified
Bulgaria
Local time: 22:30
Member (2008)
English to Bulgarian
+ ...

Oct 29, 2011

Dear All,

I am planning to do the following - and wondering if it is going to work - your help is appreciated:

1. I am currently using one of the available installations under a license for Studio v2009 Freelance Plus, on a laptop with Windows SP Pro SP3 installed.

2. I need to use the second available installation on another laptop, located at the same address and using the same internet connection with Windows 7 Starter installed and updated.

My questions:

1. Will this work at all? Will the prerequisite Trados v2007 install on Windows 7 at all - are they compatible?

2. When everything is installed, will the activation go well (keeping in mind that the two laptops share the same internet connection?)

3. Can two people work simultaneously on the two laptops? Are there any licensing restrictions pertinent thereof?

Kind Regards,
Pavel

Direct link Reply with quote

Helmaninquiel
Local time: 21:30
English to Spanish
+ ...
I'm afraid not Oct 29, 2011

I believe you won't be able to use both at the same time. One will enter in demo mode. (That happened to me when trying to use Tag editor in 2 computers).

Grzegorz Gryc  Identity Verified
French to Polish
+ ...
No longer true... Oct 29, 2011

brnk wrote:

I believe you won't be able to use both at the same time. One will enter in demo mode. (That happened to me when trying to use Tag editor in 2 computers).

It worked in this way up to T2007 Suite
It works with T2009, AFAIK (I have Pro but I remember some SDL staff posts).

BTW, the workaround for T2007 and earlier is primitive.
Just make sure the workgroup name is different on both machines.
Or, if you have a more complex network, use a managed switch, declare different VLANs for both machines (I suggest asymmetric VLANs if some ressources are shared on a server).

Cheers
GG

Bulgaria
Member (2008)
English to Bulgarian
+ ...

TOPIC STARTER
Further specification Oct 29, 2011

The two laptops are using the same internet provider and the same router to access Internet. Apart from that they are not part of any common network, workgroup, etc.

Will it work?

Helmaninquiel
English to Spanish
+ ...
Thanks Oct 29, 2011

Grzegorz Gryc wrote:

It worked in this way up to T2007 Suite
It works with T2009, AFAIK (I have Pro but I remember some SDL staff posts).

GG

Do you mean T2007 is also included?

Thank you for your information.
Cheers

Bulgaria
Member (2008)
English to Bulgarian
+ ...

TOPIC STARTER
Answer found Oct 29, 2011

Paul from SDL has been kind enough to provide the answer:

1. Will this work at all? Will the prerequisite Trados v2007 install on Windows 7 at all - are they compatible?

[PF] Yes. I have this installed on W7 64-bit

2. When everything is installed, will the activation go well (keeping in mind that the two laptops share the same internet connection, that is the same access router)?

[PF] Only one of the 2007s will not work at a time unless you have Professional (which you don’t) and 2009 will be fine running at the same time.

3. Can two people work simultaneously on the two laptops? Are there any licensing restrictions pertinent thereof? What I need to do exactly is to create a project package with a translation I am currently working on and open it on the second laptop, where a translator will be checking it.

[PF] As per 2. 2007 will prevent this but 2009 will be fine. But based on your process to create a Project and check it then you should be fine as you won’t need 2007 running on both machines to do this.

Thank you, Paul!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

"Studio v2009 Freelance Plus" 2nd installation on a Windows 7 Starter, shared internet acess?

Advanced search

BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search