How to skip particular font in Excel by translation in TagEditor?
Thread poster: Dmitri Platonov

Dmitri Platonov
Estonia
Local time: 14:18
German to Russian
+ ...
Oct 30, 2011

Hi!
I have to translate a huge Excel sheet with TagEditor 8.3.
The table is bilingual and the half of an text don't need to be translated.
This "do-not-translate-me" text has a green colour, it looks like
(cf colour="0x808000")Do not translate me(/cf)*
or
(cf font="Arial" size="8" colour="0x808000" bold="on")Do not translate me(/cf)
Is it possible to explain TagEditor it has to skip this text?

*Bracket are of course < and >, they don't work here.

Thanks!icon_smile.gif

Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 13:18
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Via Word Oct 30, 2011

where you can easily format that text (in this particular color) as hidden text. This will be omitted in TagEditor. I am not aware of an existence of a similar function in Excel.

Emma Goldsmith  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2010)
Spanish to English
Hide the column Oct 30, 2011

Dmitri Platonov wrote:

The table is bilingual and the half of an text don't need to be translated.

If the text is a column/row, simply hide it in Excel and then in Studio, make sure that you check the box "hidden content" in the Excel file type.

Edited to add: Sorry, I've just realised you're working in Tag Editor, not Studio. It's still worth trying though, as I think hidden text will work in Tag Editor too.

[Edited at 2011-10-30 21:55 GMT]

Dmitri Platonov
Estonia
German to Russian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Nov 3, 2011

Emma, Jerzy,
thank you for your tips, however they don't apply to me: via Word I lose formatting (the table is huge), hiding column isn't possible because the translatable and non-translatable text are both in the same column.
I don’t think any solution for my problem is actually possible for a TTX file.
Maybe it's a reason for full migrating to Studio icon_smile.gif

Best,

Dmitri

István Hirsch  Identity Verified
English to Hungarian
There seems to be a solution... Nov 3, 2011

...but I would like to know if the texts to translate (black) and texts not-to-translate (green) are in separate cells? I mean, are there mixed colour cells?

Dmitri Platonov
Estonia
German to Russian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Cells are mixed Nov 3, 2011

István Hirsch wrote:

...but I would like to know if the texts to translate (black) and texts not-to-translate (green) are in separate cells? I mean, are there mixed colour cells?

Hi István,
the texts are mixed, and 1 cell includes both types - translatable and non-translatable.

István Hirsch  Identity Verified
English to Hungarian
In Excel Nov 6, 2011

There is a simple solution if every cell has only one "colour", but if they have both, I would do this:
It is shown for only one column which has mixed colour text with maximum two different colour strings in the same cell (only one „black” and only one „green” string/cell).

The text to work with is in column A. Copy/paste column A to column B. Select B. Go to Edit/Find Replace and
Find:
<cf colour="0x808000">*</cf>
Replace with: nothing

(to delete the parts which will not be translated). Do the same with the other expression that creates green text.
Now in B you have the text to translate – translate it, and put the translation in column C.
Write in cell D1:

=REPLACE(A1,FIND(B1,A1),LEN(B1),C1)

(enter), (to replace B in A with C and to enter the resulted text into D), then move the mouse over the right bottom corner of cell D1 and drag the appearing filling plus down to fill column D with the formula.
If everything has gone well, now in the cells of column D you have the „green” text untouched as well as the translated text.

Example:
A1: <cf colour="0x808000">Do not translate me</cf> This is to translate.
B1 (after replacing): This is to translate.
C1 (after translating): Ezt le kell fordítani.
D1: <cf colour="0x808000">Do not translate me</cf> Ezt le kell fordítani.

This works for a small and simple sample spreadsheet as described, however, with a "real” spreadsheet it may not be as simple as that.

[Módosítva: 2011-11-06 12:07 GMT]

[Módosítva: 2011-11-06 16:34 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to skip particular font in Excel by translation in TagEditor?

Advanced search

WordFinder Unlimited
For clarity and excellence

WordFinder is the leading dictionary service that gives you the words you want anywhere, anytime. Access 260+ dictionaries from the world's leading dictionary publishers in virtually any device. Find the right word anywhere, anytime - online or offline.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search