How to skip particular font in Excel by translation in TagEditor?
Thread poster: Dmitri Platonov

Dmitri Platonov
Estonia
Local time: 21:54
German to Russian
+ ...
Oct 30, 2011

Hi!
I have to translate a huge Excel sheet with TagEditor 8.3.
The table is bilingual and the half of an text don't need to be translated.
This "do-not-translate-me" text has a green colour, it looks like
(cf colour="0x808000")Do not translate me(/cf)*
or
(cf font="Arial" size="8" colour="0x808000" bold="on")Do not translate me(/cf)
Is it possible to explain TagEditor it has to skip this text?

*Bracket are of course < and >, they don't work here.

Thanks!icon_smile.gif

Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 20:54
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Via Word Oct 30, 2011

where you can easily format that text (in this particular color) as hidden text. This will be omitted in TagEditor. I am not aware of an existence of a similar function in Excel.

Emma Goldsmith  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2010)
Spanish to English
Hide the column Oct 30, 2011

Dmitri Platonov wrote:

The table is bilingual and the half of an text don't need to be translated.

If the text is a column/row, simply hide it in Excel and then in Studio, make sure that you check the box "hidden content" in the Excel file type.

Edited to add: Sorry, I've just realised you're working in Tag Editor, not Studio. It's still worth trying though, as I think hidden text will work in Tag Editor too.

[Edited at 2011-10-30 21:55 GMT]

Dmitri Platonov
Estonia
German to Russian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Nov 3, 2011

Emma, Jerzy,
thank you for your tips, however they don't apply to me: via Word I lose formatting (the table is huge), hiding column isn't possible because the translatable and non-translatable text are both in the same column.
I don’t think any solution for my problem is actually possible for a TTX file.
Maybe it's a reason for full migrating to Studio icon_smile.gif

Best,

Dmitri

István Hirsch  Identity Verified
English to Hungarian
There seems to be a solution... Nov 3, 2011

...but I would like to know if the texts to translate (black) and texts not-to-translate (green) are in separate cells? I mean, are there mixed colour cells?

Dmitri Platonov
Estonia
German to Russian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Cells are mixed Nov 3, 2011

István Hirsch wrote:

...but I would like to know if the texts to translate (black) and texts not-to-translate (green) are in separate cells? I mean, are there mixed colour cells?

Hi István,
the texts are mixed, and 1 cell includes both types - translatable and non-translatable.

István Hirsch  Identity Verified
English to Hungarian
In Excel Nov 6, 2011

There is a simple solution if every cell has only one "colour", but if they have both, I would do this:
It is shown for only one column which has mixed colour text with maximum two different colour strings in the same cell (only one „black” and only one „green” string/cell).

The text to work with is in column A. Copy/paste column A to column B. Select B. Go to Edit/Find Replace and
Find:
<cf colour="0x808000">*</cf>
Replace with: nothing

(to delete the parts which will not be translated). Do the same with the other expression that creates green text.
Now in B you have the text to translate – translate it, and put the translation in column C.
Write in cell D1:

=REPLACE(A1,FIND(B1,A1),LEN(B1),C1)

(enter), (to replace B in A with C and to enter the resulted text into D), then move the mouse over the right bottom corner of cell D1 and drag the appearing filling plus down to fill column D with the formula.
If everything has gone well, now in the cells of column D you have the „green” text untouched as well as the translated text.

Example:
A1: <cf colour="0x808000">Do not translate me</cf> This is to translate.
B1 (after replacing): This is to translate.
C1 (after translating): Ezt le kell fordítani.
D1: <cf colour="0x808000">Do not translate me</cf> Ezt le kell fordítani.

This works for a small and simple sample spreadsheet as described, however, with a "real” spreadsheet it may not be as simple as that.

[Módosítva: 2011-11-06 12:07 GMT]

[Módosítva: 2011-11-06 16:34 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to skip particular font in Excel by translation in TagEditor?

Advanced search

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search