Thread poster: Wendy Cummings

Wendy Cummings  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 23:28
Member (2006)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Nov 1, 2011

When I perform a concordance search, I often come up with segments that are enough of a match for me to want to copy them in their entirety into the target segment, and then edit the bits I need.

I cannot see any icon on the toolbar to do this, so I right click on the segment and I get the menu options:

Copy
Select All
Insert into document
Concordance search
Edit translation unit
Delete translation unit.

Aha - perfect.... But not. "Copy" and "Insert into document" are both greyed out and so I cannot use them. Of course, I can select the text, copy it and then paste it into the target, but that seems like 3 clicks too many when the option to "insert into document " obviously exists, but is just unusable.

Is there something I have to activate in order to use this function?

Thanks

Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 00:28
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Place the cursor where you want to have the text Nov 1, 2011

You start the concordance search from the source side. Than it is normal, that you cannot insert any text there. When you place the cursor on the target side, you will be able to insert text.

United Kingdom
Member (2006)
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
doesn't work Nov 1, 2011

In 2009 you can of course do a concordance search in either the source or target.

However, once the concordance results have been displayed, regardless of where i place the cursor in the target, the option "Insert into document" still remains greyed out. (Of course, if i place the cursor in a new target segment, the concordance window switches back to the TM results window).

Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 00:28
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Do you have ANYTHING selected there? Nov 1, 2011

Unless you select at leas a single character no copy & paste works in any Windows application.
Please perform concordance, place the cursor where the text should go, select what you want to be copied from concordance and right click. Then it must work - at least it does with me since March 2009.

United Kingdom
Member (2006)
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Hmm Nov 1, 2011

It seems hard to believe that, of all the different combinations I have been trying, none of them included selecting some of the text and then right clicking. However, that seems to have been the case, since it is now working!

In my defence, the cursor has to be hovering over the selected text, otherwise when you right click it deselects it, so maybe that is what happened on previous attempts.

Thanks Jerzy - as always you have helped resolve something that has been bugging me for weeks.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Studio 2009: Cannot insert concordance results into document

Advanced search

SDL Trados Studio 2019 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2019 has evolved to bring translators a brand new experience. Designed with user experience at its core, Studio 2019 transforms how new users get up and running and helps experienced users make the most of the powerful features.

More info »
SDL MultiTerm 2019
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2019 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2019 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search