Thread poster: Malin Skillby

Malin Skillby  Identity Verified
Sweden
Local time: 13:57
English to Swedish
+ ...
Nov 1, 2011

Hi,
I helped a friend install Trados 2007 on Windows 7 and with TagEditor I got the error "(80003): TagEditor is unable to open this document because the file type is not recognised". I can see that a lot of people have come across this error with other files, but I actually get it with .doc files. Any ideas?

Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Save as proper Word file Nov 1, 2011

the file you try to open has not the proper Word format expected. You can name any file anything, so the extension alone is no real guarantee, that the file has the expected format.
Open in Word, press F12 and chose to save as Word 2003.

Malin Skillby  Identity Verified
Sweden
English to Swedish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Could it be something else? Nov 1, 2011

I did try several Word files, all created in Word 2003 and functional. I also tried Open and repair on one of them, with no result. But I will try resaving them, if you think that might help. Thank you!

Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Please pay attention to the stored format Nov 1, 2011

For some reasons I do not know your file can be stored as RTF, even the extension says doc.
In that case TE or Studio will refuse to open.

Heather Cook  Identity Verified
German to English
+ ...
Repair the Trados installation instead of de-installing and re-installing Feb 6, 2014

I have been receiving the same error message when trying to open Word files in Tag Editor. When I went to de-install Trados Freelance 2007, I right clicked on the program and a list of options: "Deinstall", "Modify" and "Repair". So I decided to give "Repair" a try. Ten minutes later and I am now able to open my Word file in TagEditor! I hope this quick fix might help others so I wanted to share it.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

TagEditor error 80003, with doc files

Advanced search

PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »
SDL Trados Studio 2017 only €435 / $519
Get the cheapest prices for SDL Trados Studio 2017 on ProZ.com

Join this translator’s group buy brought to you by ProZ.com and buy SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance for only €435 / $519 / £345 / ¥63000 You will also receive FREE access to Studio 2019 when released.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search