Thread poster: Richard Hall

Richard Hall  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 06:43
Italian to English
+ ...
Nov 2, 2011

I have what looks like a major stability problem with Studio 2011. Two times
within three days Studio crashes when trying to open a document for translation.
The only thing common with the two documents which I cannot open are that they
are in a project with multiple documents. If I create a project for the problem
document alone, it opens with no problem.

I re-installed Studio and it initially looked like it had solved the problem, but 24 hours later it started crashing again and I am in the process of re-installing again today.

Has anyone else had this experience. I think I can recall seeing something when
Studio 2011 was first released. Has anyone found the reason or a workaround.

I running Windows 7 Professinal 32 bit.

Thanks.

Susanne Rieg  Identity Verified
Local time: 12:43
English to German
+ ...
Same problem solved by deleting UserSettings.xml Nov 2, 2011

Studio 2011 crashes on me sometimes when I try to open documents. In all these cases I managed to "fix" the problem by simply deleting "UserSettings.xml" (in ...AppData/Roaming/SDL/SDL Trados Studio/10.0.0.0).
Not really a "productivity enhancer", as I have to reinstall my settings every time, but at least it works.
Would be nice to know (and avoid) the reason, though.

Sanne

Madeleine Chevassus  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 12:43
Member (2010)
English to French
tip from SDL re Windows7 and Studio 2011 Nov 2, 2011

I was dialoguing with SDL support re: my upgrade to Windows7 and possibly to Studio11.
I've been giving the following recommendation which seems to be close to Suzanne's question:

"As you are going to use Windows 7, please make sure you turn off your UAC as this might be interfering with Studio. Please review article 3194 from our Knowledge base on how to do this: http://talisma.sdl.com/article.aspx?article=3194&p=1"

I hope it helps - Marie

Richard Hall  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 06:43
Italian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks you... Nov 2, 2011

...Susanne and Marie.

I've just re-installed Studio and it's working fine now. I'll try your recommendations when it crashes again, presumably tomorrow.

I had a look at the article you suggested Marie but it only appears relevant to installation problems. Is that correct?

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Studio 2011 Unstable

Advanced search

WordFinder Unlimited
For clarity and excellence

WordFinder is the leading dictionary service that gives you the words you want anywhere, anytime. Access 260+ dictionaries from the world's leading dictionary publishers in virtually any device. Find the right word anywhere, anytime - online or offline.

More info »
memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search