Thread poster: Steve Melling
Steve Melling  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 08:00
French to English
+ ...
Nov 4, 2011

Dear all,

I am a complete CAT Tool novice but the market seems to be squeezing out those translators without one.

I have seen SDL Trados 2011 with and without 2007 Suite.

Would those people who know about the subject please let me know their feelings on whether the 2007 Suite is a must and why?

Many thanks,

Steve

Direct link Reply with quote

Kate Chaffer
Italy
Italian to English
Look down a couple of posts Nov 4, 2011

http://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/210263-trados_studio_2011_freelance_with_or_without_2007.html

France
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you. Nov 4, 2011

Thank you Kate,

I feel a bit silly now.

Find it all rather confusing. As a matter of interest, do you have an opinion on the subject, please?

Many thanks,

Steve

Per Magnus  Identity Verified
English to Norwegian
You do not need it. Nov 4, 2011

Since you are a novice, you don’t need 2007. That is a completely different program and you only need it if you are working with clients that require it (or if that is the environment you prefer (but since you have no experience with it, you don’t want it)).

With 2011 the necessary components to open TTX, upgrade legacy TMs and run WinAlign is bundled with the software. If you had Studio 2009, you would need 2007 to do these things.

[Edited at 2011-11-04 15:49 GMT]

[Edited at 2011-11-04 15:50 GMT]

NR_Stedman  Identity Verified
France
French to English
You may need 2007 Nov 4, 2011

Hi Steve

When clients ask for Trados they tend to mean Trados 2007 rather than Trados studio.
In fact one major provider specifically asks that you do not use studio because of the problems with tags. They are two completely different types of software and I'm not at all sure that Trados Studio will become very widely used - certainly not like Trados 2007.

There are two really good CAT tools that completely free - Wordfast anywhere and Across. They are both very easy to use and WF anywhere is compatible with most Trados bilingual files. You can transfer translation memories between them and later to Trados if one day you decide you have to join the crowd.
If I was starting out today I would download them both and play around a bit - you may find you never have to buy Trados as all.

Dominique Pivard  Identity Verified
Local time: 09:00
Finnish to French
Wordfast Anywhere vs. Across Nov 4, 2011

NR_Stedman wrote:
There are two really good CAT tools that completely free - Wordfast anywhere and Across. They are both very easy to use and WF anywhere is compatible with most Trados bilingual files.

Actually, I don't think Wordfast Anywhere can open *Word* bilingual (="uncleaned") documents, such as those produced by Trados Workbench or Wordfast Classic. It does support the TTX format (TagEditor), however. But for "uncleaned" document, you can use the demo version of Wordfast Classic, which lets you do quite a lot.

NR_Stedman wrote:
If I was starting out today I would download them both and play around a bit - you may find you never have to buy Trados as all.

Actually, with Wordfast Anywhere, there's nothing to download: it's a browser-based tool, so all you need is a connection to the Internet. Across, OTOH, is a huge download. I played a bit with it this summer and I found it had quite a few quirks. I'm biased towards Wordfast and memoQ, but I'd rather consider Wordfast Anywhere, the demo version of Wordfast Classic or the free version of memoQ (memoQ4free), all of which offer more possibilities than Across IMO.

Per Magnus  Identity Verified
English to Norwegian
Of course it will be widely used. Nov 4, 2011

NR_Stedman wrote: When clients ask for Trados they tend to mean Trados 2007 rather than Trados studio. In fact one major provider specifically asks that you do not use studio because of the problems with tags. They are two completely different types of software and I'm not at all sure that Trados Studio will become very widely used - certainly not like Trados 2007.

There are two really good CAT tools that completely free - Wordfast anywhere and Across. They are both very easy to use and WF anywhere is compatible with most Trados bilingual files. You can transfer translation memories between them and later to Trados if one day you decide you have to join the crowd.

Studio is a far better program than Trados 2007. I agree with the rest of what you say, Stedman. But if you are starting out today, you would obviously go for Studio 2011, chances are that Steve will never be asked to deliver anything that 2007 could provide.

NR_Stedman  Identity Verified
France
French to English
Download the WF manual at least to read on the bus! Nov 4, 2011

Dominique - its true that peoples experience of Across is very contrasted - mine was obviously positive. WF anywhere is much simpler and you can be up and away in a few minutes.
Per Magnus - tag editor 2007 is still necessary for certain jobs that studio can't do. Will S 2011 be completely compatible with tag editor files? Otherwise I have never been asked to do anything specifically in studio.

Steve - often people ask for Trados just to find out if you accept reductions for repetitions. In fact an agency has just this last hour asked me if I had Trados for a job they sent me. I said yes but did they want 2007 or Studio and was told that the only reason they wanted to know if I had Trados was for the PO!

France
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Completely lost! Nov 4, 2011

I would like to thank everybody for their answers but I'm struggling to establish a consensus.

A) The customer is trying it on to see if I will accept discounts for repetitions. It's difficult guessing this, isn't it?

B) Wordfast: it is apparently free to download but you have to pay later on (according to their website). And if a customer genuinely wants Trados can Wordfast do the same? Someone has told me about TMs. The customer would presumably want a TM with the translation. Is a Wordfast TM the same as a Trados TM?

Are there any genuine benefits for translators with these things?

Dominique Pivard  Identity Verified
Local time: 09:00
Finnish to French
Wordfast as better/cheaper Trados substitute Nov 4, 2011

Steve Melling wrote:
B) Wordfast: it is apparently free to download but you have to pay later on (according to their website).

As stated earlier, Wordfast Anywhere is totally free and there's nothing to download (it's a browser-based online tool). You can download Wordfast Classic and Wordfast Pro and use them in demo mode, which lets you perform quite many tasks (the main restriction is related to the size of TM's). Both Classic and Pro will run in demo mode without a time limitation, so whether and when you pay is entirely up to you.

Steve Melling wrote:
And if a customer genuinely wants Trados can Wordfast do the same?

"Trados" means nothing, or it can mean many things, so you first have to agree on what is meant by "Trados required". In most cases, it refers to delivering Word documents in bilingual (commonly known as "uncleaned") format. Wordfast Classic lets you do this without problems, which is one reason why it is so popular (but there are many other reasons).
"Trados" can also mean TTX, which is the format of TagEditor. You can handle TTX files with Wordfast Pro or Wordfast Anywhere (and many other tools, eg. memoQ, Déjà Vu etc.).

Steve Melling wrote:
Someone has told me about TMs. The customer would presumably want a TM with the translation. Is a Wordfast TM the same as a Trados TM?

Delivering a TM is seldom a requirement: in the Trados world, a bilingual document (whether DOC or TTX) is usually sufficient to update the client's TM.
If a TM is really needed, you can use TMX, which is designed precisely for this (exchanging TM's between different tools).

Steve Melling wrote:
Are there any genuine benefits for translators with these things?

Most translators who use a CAT tool efficiently will tell you the benefits are genuine. The main reason for using such tools should be your own free choice, not what client A or B requires. When translators are able to choose freely, they usually end up choosing other tools than Trados.

France
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Exploding head. Nov 4, 2011

Dear Dominique,

My head is spinning.

First of all, thank you very much for taking the time to help me.

I really need to get some sleep and come back to this maze-like subject over the weekend.

I don't know whether or not you'll have the patience to put up with any more questions from me (you've already really helped me) but I will return to this thread when my brain starts functioning properly again.

Many thanks and good night,

Steve

brandane
English to French
+ ...
Wilshin says, what did you finally choose, if anything? Jan 8, 2013

Hi Steve,
Just came across this post, late as usual.
What did you decide?
I use Trados Studio on a daily basis, having upgraded from Trados 2007.
There are lots of real benefits for me in using a CAT tool.
I find it useful for analysing the amount of work to be done, giving an estimate of delivery time etc. I also use it to align documents which have already been translated, although not by me. It's also very handy for ensuring coherent terminology in long technical docs, or docs related to each other, but which arrive months, or years apart. Depends if you are just translating a different doc each time, multiple updates of the same doc, extracting terminology to create glossaries.

Let me know if I can be of any help

Cheers
Karen Wilshin

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

SDL Trados 2011-without 2007 Suite

Advanced search

BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »
PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search