SDL Studio 2009: How do I ensure text boxes are included in the sdlxliff files?
Thread poster: Andrew Tooms

Andrew Tooms
France
Local time: 20:27
Member (2006)
French to English
+ ...
Nov 7, 2011

I'm using SDL Trados Studio 2009 to translate a Word file most of which consists of text boxes. How do I get the text boxes to appear in the sdlxliff file?

Robert Daraban  Identity Verified
Romania
Local time: 21:27
Member (2008)
English to Romanian
+ ...
Re: SDL Studio 2009: How do I ensure text boxes are included in the sdlxliff files? Nov 7, 2011

Hello,

I have been working with SDLTrados Studio 2009 for more than a year and now I use SDLTrados Studio 2011, but this is not the point.

I have also translated with Studio 2009 many texts containing text-boxes. The great about this application is, that it automatically includes text boxes in the sdlxliff files. There is no particular way to check this, but do not worry. Experience showed me that text boxes are included, translated and created back after cleaning.

So all you have to do is to proceed with the translation.
I hope I was of help.

Andrew Tooms
France
Member (2006)
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Problem with Word 2010? Nov 7, 2011

Thanks very much for your answer Robert.

Unfortunately this did not happen when I converted the docx file into sdlfxliff. The text boxes were not included. Maybe this is because of a problem with Word 2010? I have previously had problems converting Word 2010 files into sdlxliff. I shall have to translate the text boxes manually I think.

Dr. Matthias Schauen  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
Text boxes not recognized in Word 97-2003 format when included in picture Nov 7, 2011

Studio 2009 did not recognize text boxes that were part of pictures in the last DOC file I translated. The text boxes were editable when editing the picture in the document (right-click on the picture and so forth), but they were not recognized.

Andrew Tooms
France
Member (2006)
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Simple text boxes Nov 7, 2011

In my case these are simple text boxes, not included in a picture.

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English
Which version? Nov 7, 2011

Hi,

Can you confirm which version of Studio you are using and which updates you have installed. This was a known issue in Studio 2009 prior to CU13 (http://kb.sdl.com/article.aspx?article=3353&p=1) so this should be resolved as this was June.

If you have the latest updates installed and still see the problem feel free to send me the file, or one with confidential info removed and still exhibiting the problem, and I'll be happy to take a look.

Regards

Paul
pfilkin@sdl.com

Alex Marshall  Identity Verified
United States
Member (2011)
Russian to English
+ ...
Had the same problem... Nov 7, 2011

... and solved it by saving the Word file as a Word 97-2003 document. For whatever reason, this problem affects only .docx files (Word 2010). I also experienced this problem with footnotes.

Andrew Tooms
France
Member (2006)
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Paul Nov 7, 2011

Hi Paul

You were right, I hadn't updated. Now I've installed the updates and the text boxes are included in the sdlxliff file.
I've also enabled the search for automatic updates option which I had disabled because it slowed down the opening of the application. It's worth waiting a few seconds to avoid this kind of problem.

Bye
Andy

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

SDL Studio 2009: How do I ensure text boxes are included in the sdlxliff files?

Advanced search

BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search