Can't clean TagEditor file
Thread poster: XXXphxxx

XXXphxxx  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 10:34
Portuguese to English
+ ...
Nov 7, 2011

Please excuse slight beginner's question:

I haven't used TagEditor for an age. Today when a client asked me to clean a file I couldn't. I seem to remember something about the target and source files having to be in the same folder (which they were). I also checked for damaged tags. There were none. Can somebody please talk me through what I might be doing wrong?

Big thanks in advance!


 

Andrea Piu  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 11:34
English to Italian
+ ...
same folder, same file name and an option Nov 7, 2011

Hello Lisa,

Could be the file names are different? As far as I remember they have to be in the same folder and also the file names have to be the same.
I also remember that, for .doc files, you need to toggle the option "TRADOSTagXML workflow for .doc files". You can find it in: Translation memory options>Tools (Workbench)

Ciao


 

XXXphxxx  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 10:34
Portuguese to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
No luck Nov 7, 2011

Thanks for the suggestion Andrea. Checked all 3. Admittedly the "TRADOSTagXML workflow for .doc files" wasn't ticked first time round but it still isn't working...

 

Hazel Underwood  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 10:34
Member (2005)
German to English
+ ...
Error message Nov 7, 2011

What error message are you getting?

 

XXXphxxx  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 10:34
Portuguese to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
None Nov 7, 2011

Hazel Underwood wrote:

What error message are you getting?


It's just not cleaning the document. I feel very dumb. Haven't done this for years and I'm sure it's something horribly simple that I'm missing.


 

Emma Goldsmith  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 11:34
Member (2010)
Spanish to English
A few ideas Nov 7, 2011

Like you, I haven't used Tag Editor for a long time, but a couple of things spring to mind.
In Tag Editor you don't "clean files", you just "save as". So you don't need to go through WB to do it.
Have you run Verify?

How about opening the bilingual ttx in Studio and saving it there?
Or as a last possibility, create a new ttx with your source doc, and pretranslate it with your TM in Studio. Then save it as a ttx and as the target doc.


 

XXXphxxx  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 10:34
Portuguese to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Managed an .rtf Nov 7, 2011

The client was happy enough with that. From memory the source file (in this case in Word) which is in the same folder with the same name should have been updated to the target language when I 'saved as'. Didn't happen. Wonder what I was doing wrong?

 

XXXphxxx  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 10:34
Portuguese to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Tried Studio Nov 7, 2011

Emma Goldsmith wrote:

Like you, I haven't used Tag Editor for a long time, but a couple of things spring to mind.
In Tag Editor you don't "clean files", you just "save as". So you don't need to go through WB to do it.
Have you run Verify?

How about opening the bilingual ttx in Studio and saving it there?
Or as a last possibility, create a new ttx with your source doc, and pretranslate it with your TM in Studio. Then save it as a ttx and as the target doc.


If by 'Verify' you mean F8, yes I did that and there was no prob with the tags apparently.

Somehow there's got to be something wrong with one of the files. I opened the ttx in Studio and tried saving as a target from there but it wouldn't work, couldn't preview either. You're right, your last option might have done the trick but since the client is happy with the .rtf file I'll leave it at that for the time being and press on with the backlog of other jobs. Thanks very much for your helpful suggestions though... wish I knew what the problem was.


 

XXXphxxx  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 10:34
Portuguese to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Conflict between versions Nov 8, 2011

In case it should help anyone else: I had another TagEditor file to clean for the same client today and I managed it this time. Took a bit of fiddling around but my guess is that yesterday's problem was a conflict between a 2007 TagEditor file and a 2003 Word source file, once the Word file had been saved as a 2007 one everything it cleaned up nicelyicon_smile.gif

 


To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:


You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Can't clean TagEditor file

Advanced search







CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »
BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »



Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search