Help New on SDLX and Need to update a TM and Use it on another file
Thread poster: Paula S. Cardoso

Paula S. Cardoso
Netherlands
Local time: 23:45
English to Portuguese
Nov 7, 2011

Hi,

I have SDLX and I translated a wrong file which is part another correct file.

The thing is, I don't know how to update the TM (which is in *.mdb) and use it on the new file. I'm using Trados SDLX 2007

Can someone help me?

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English
Better to use... Nov 7, 2011

... http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/sdlx/ for questions relating to SDLX as the users in that forum are all experienced SDLX users.

I think a quick answer would be this... but it's not an application I use much and I like Studio so much more every time I doicon_wink.gif:

1. Open the "wrong" ITD you translated in SDL Edit
2. Make sure the TM you want is open
3. Use Translation Memory - Update and this will populate the TM with your translation
4. Open the new file in SDL Edit and select the TM you just updated in 3.
5. Use Translation Memory - Apply to populate the correct file with the translation

Hope that helps?

Regards

Paul

Paula S. Cardoso
Netherlands
English to Portuguese
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you for the tip. Nov 7, 2011

Hello Paul,

But when I do that it copies the tm source on the file target, and not updated tm target into the file target. And the locked translations are deleted.

I'm seriously disliking trados right now.....icon_frown.gif

Do you have any other suggestion?

I tried:

I went to Align, saved a new TM (but i guess it did only a small portion) and used Apply to paste the tm back on the correct itd. It deleted the gray and the previous matches but also translated what needed to be done, but only until line 918.

I used the file to copy/paste what was translated.

It's a 17,000 line document......

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English
My suggestion... Nov 8, 2011

Hi Paula,

I think my first suggestion to ask in the SDLX forum is the best one. But don't call it Trados when you go in thereicon_wink.gifhttp://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/sdlx/

I'm not sure I follow why you ventured into Align, but after asking an SDLX expert he thinks perhaps I should have said this:

1. In the wrong ITD file you need to make sure everything you have translated has been confirmed, ie, that is Press Enter on all segments that have been translated. If the whole ITD file has been translated then you can goto: Edit\Confirm/Unconfirm and select ‘Confirm Untranslated
  2. Make sure the TM you want is open
  3. Use Translation Memory - Update and this will populate the TM with your translation
  4. Open the new file in SDL Edit and select the TM you just updated in 3.
  5. Use Translation Memory - Apply to populate the correct file with the translation

So maybe you just hadn't confirmed the segments after translating them?

Regards

Paul

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Help New on SDLX and Need to update a TM and Use it on another file

Advanced search

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search