Studio 2011 - Changing where files are saved
Thread poster: Susanne Lomander

Susanne Lomander  Identity Verified
Sweden
Local time: 19:11
Swedish to English
+ ...
Nov 8, 2011

I have had Studio 2009 but never really got it to work properly, and am now testing Studio 2011 on another computer to see if I want to take a leap of faith from Freelance 2007 straight to Studio 2011. But I have some file structure issues that I can't seem to resolve, perhaps someone out there who is more knowledgeable can help!

First of all, is there a way to stop Studio 2011 (and Multiterm) from creating standard folders where I don't want them? I have a complex file structure in my computers, keeping all my Translation-related files under specific folders (such as being C:/My Documents/Translation/Trados, where I keep all my TMS, MTWs, alignments etc.) And that is where I want my Multiterm folders to be, and nowhere else.

My Studio 2011 Project folders could either be saved under the same C:/My Documents/Translation/Trados folder, or I could save the projects under each individual client, if that seems like a practical idea. At this point I am unsure of what is best.

What I DO NOT want is to have Trados automatically create C:/My Documents/SDL and C:/My Documents/Studio 2011 folders every time they start up. How can I redirect the programs to save the fodlers where I want them (or simply stop them from autocreating the unwanted folders?)??

Another file structure issue is that I have many customers with very specific target document naming requirements, and this also causes me a headache with Studio 2011. In TagEditor 2007 I could easy "Save Target As" and then choose both the folder and name of the target document. In Studio 2011 files are saved in a standard project file, which actually is very far from where I want to keep my source/target documents (which I keep as C:/My Documents/Translation/Translations/Customer name/Year/Month/In + Out). Is it possible in Studio 2011 to NOT keep the source/target files in the obligatory project folder but maintain my own structure (and choose the name of the target document myself?).

Or do I manually have to cut/copy the target file from the Studio 2011 project folder and save it under my own structure with the right client-required name? Obviously, this adds a very unnecessary step to every single document I translate, and is both unnecessarily time-consuming and annoying.

It may seem petty to some, but if you have many clients who send lots of small files that need to be named in a specific way, maintaining strict file structure discipline is very important, in my point of view. And to do that, I need to be the one deciding where things are saved, and not software programs.

Anyone know how to resolve these file structure issues in Studio 2011? Or Studio 2009, as I still have my license...

XXXphxxx (X)  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 18:11
Portuguese to English
+ ...
Hear, hear! Nov 8, 2011

I don't have the answer Susanne but just to let you know it's not petty at all. I have exactly the same problem and feel Studio 2009 is controlling me rather than me controlling it. I look forward to hearing the solution.

Natalie  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2002)
English to Russian
+ ...

Moderator of this forum
Save target as Nov 8, 2011

Hi Susanne,

Just click "Save target as" and show the folder where do you wish the file to be saved.

Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
When opening a single file Nov 8, 2011

the target folder is always the same as the folder where the original file was.
However, when creating a project you are given the choice where to store it.
Just specify the path on the second screen of the project creation. Please note, that when you type in the project name the program automatically uses this name as the name of the project folder.
And please just pay a little bit attention to what and how you do in Studio. Nearly everything done there has a wizard, where you configure the options. But if you simply click through and accept all defaults it is clear, that you get the impression being controlled by the program while it is you who in fact controls the program. Unlike many competing tools you can easily chose and change locations of projects in Studio.

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English
Working with Studio Nov 8, 2011

Hi Susanne,

There are different ways to work with Studio to suit the way you work, but generally I would recommend trying to work with it until we make more ways to control where files and folders are placed.

So for example if you create Projects for all of your work rather than using the Open Documents approach then I think the most appropriate way to work is like this:

- Keep your Customer folders organised as you see fit
- Allow Studio to create the translation projects using the default folder structures

This does two things. First you will never lose the original files because Studio will create specific language folders for the project and when you generate target files or finalise a Project the target files will always be placed into the target language folders of the Project. You can then (if you choose) copy and rename as you see fit into your customer folders for archiving once the Project is complete. Secondly all of your translation projects will always be in the same place, sort of like work in progress until you copy finished work into your customer folders.

This approach is quite good if you have multiple files in a Project, or if you set up Projects per Client and keep adding new source files whenever you receive them. If you keep changing the path to the projects Studio has a tendency to remember where you were last and it's very easy to create projects where you don't want them.

This may sound controlling but imagine a Project with 20 language pairs and 500 source files. The manual administration of this could be error strewn and time consuming whereas Studio will manage this comfortably when you leave it to work as it wants.

If you use the Open Document approach, then this is quite well suited to creating background projects in your Customer folders because Studio will create the Project in the same location as the file you opened. Now that we don't create excessive folders with filetypes since 2011 you will only find the bilingual and the project file in addition to the source file you opened. The disadvantage of this approach is that you need to be careful you don't overwrite the source file with your target when you are finished because Saving Target As will use the same file name unless you rename it. I normally stick a t_ in front and after a while it becomes a habit. But of course you can call this whatever you like or add an additional folder for your files depending on how you wish to organise the work.

Whether you create Projects or use the Open Document approach you can always use Save Target As instead of finalizing or generate target translations and then you can save the file with whatever name you like and also specify the location for the file.

I'm sure most users come up with their own way of managing their work, but I'm a believer in allowing software to work as it wants and this way I have less problems when I use it.

Having said this, I would also like to see some enhanced file management capability in Studio, but until this happens my recommendation for what it's worth would be to work with the software and not against it.

I hope that is at least useful, or encourages a little discussion so we can see how others work around this administrative task.

Regards

Paul

Sweden
Swedish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Studio 2011 - Changing where files are saved Nov 8, 2011

Thanks, Paul, for your detailed answer!! I will test the "Open document" method, so far I had only been using the Project method as I figured I could structure the monthly files as separate monthly Projects per Customer, and that way still maintain some of my original file structure idea. Perhaps the Open document method will solve my problem!icon_smile.gif

Or should I say, part of my problem: the actual project/translation file problem.

What about the creation of the standard folders directly under My Documents? I know you say to wait and see if this is corrected in future builds, which would be great. I am not suggesting you completely stop this behaviour, I am just asking for the OPTION to choose if you want to use your own file structure, or just allow the program to decide for you. It could just be unchecking a box and then filling in the filepath of your choice.

As you say, we may all use the programs differently, and some may not be bothered by software programs imposing an autocratic file structure. But if would be much more user-friendly and practical to always give users a choice, as we all structure our computers in a very individual manner. And I know many of my colleagues agree, as this is often a much-discussed matter when translators meet...

The same also applies to Multiterm, of course (and I know I have vented my frustration on this issue elsewhere in this forum, as Multiterm's hidden file structure has caused me to backup my glossaries manually so as not to lose them, causing unnecessary duplications).icon_frown.gif

And I totally agree - hopefully we can get a discussion going! So once again, thanks so much for your input, and thanks also to Natalie, Jerzy and Lisa. And please excuse my ignorance, Studio is still very new to me.

United Kingdom
English
Using a defined path for project folders Nov 8, 2011

Susanne Lomander wrote:

What about the creation of the standard folders directly under My Documents? I know you say to wait and see if this is corrected in future builds, which would be great. I am not suggesting you completely stop this behaviour, I am just asking for the OPTION to choose if you want to use your own file structure, or just allow the program to decide for you. It could just be unchecking a box and then filling in the filepath of your choice.

Hi Susanne,

As Jerzy pointed out this is possible now. The point I was making is that if you can live with the defaults you don't even have to think about it and so you don't find stray projects appearing in places you didn't want them. If you want to choose each time where to place the project then simply browse to the location when you create the Project in here:

Maybe this is what you need so you can select the appropriate Customer Folder each time and still use Projects but with a bespoke folder structure?

Regards

Paul

Sweden
Swedish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Eliminating the creation of C:/My Documents/Studio 2011 Nov 8, 2011

[quote]

As Jerzy pointed out this is possible now. The point I was making is that if you can live with the defaults you don't even have to think about it and so you don't find stray projects appearing in places you didn't want them. If you want to choose each time where to place the project then simply browse to the location when you create the Project in here:

Maybe this is what you need so you can select the appropriate Customer Folder each time and still use Projects but with a bespoke folder structure?

[quote]

I think you both misunderstood me: I do know how to save Projects where I want them, just as you showed in the image. My question referred to the standard folders created by the program every time it starts up:

Studio 2011 creates a folder under C:/My Documents/Studio 2011 (which contains /Project and /Project Templates)

and Multiterm creates one called C:/My Documents/SDL/SDL Multiterm/Termbases

These are the standard folders that I mean are an unnecessary nuisance and should be able to be opted out (by unchecking a box asking you if you want to use SDL standard directory locations or choose your own filepath), so that the program doesn't create them during every startup. Is there a way to stop the programs from doing this?

Then you could choose your own project filepaths under Projects and live with the Studio 2011 default folder settings, or use the Open document approach and use your own structure, as you suggested, when it comes to the actual translation. This would allow you at least some authority over where you save your Studio files.

I hope I was a bit clearer this time around! Thanks, as always!icon_smile.gif

Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
These folders are no nuisance Nov 8, 2011

And they can be kept emptyicon_smile.gif
The only thing which is indeed stored there and cannot be moved elsewhere are the project templates and the Projects.xml file.
But you can move My Documents everywhere on your computer, this folder must not necessarily remain on disk C: - so in that case all users would be served. All those, who do not even know how to create folders or have problems with administrating those and users who indeed need their own folder structure.
Please note also, that many other applications do create their folders there too. This is a common location under Windows, and this since Windows 95 already.

United Kingdom
English
The standard folders Nov 8, 2011

Hi Susanne,

Indeed I did misunderstand you... apologies. We do have a longer term backlog item in development to look at how we could change this for users. At the moment these folders will always be recreated because we also place the projects.xml file in the Studio 2011/Projects folder and Studio looks for this here so it knows where your projects are.

Regards

Paul

Evelyna Radoslavova  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 10:11
English to French
+ ...
File location and other issues Jan 31, 2012

Hi Paul,

I have been a Trados user since 1998; I am SDL Trados Certified and was close to becoming a Trados approved trainer. I have been Trados's fervent supporter for all those years, but I am sorry to say you are about to lose me as a client because of Studio 2011, combined with the fact that Trados 2007 does not work well with MS Office 2010.

The file location issue is just one of the many issues I find with Studio 2011 (and I would be happy to discuss them on another forum). In my case, not only does it conflict with my usual way of working, imposed both by client requirements and by the use of a standalone project and client management software, but it also conflicts with my very essential need to work seamlessly on my laptop and desktop computers. You see, I use Dropbox to synchronise my files between my two computers (and my portable device), and that means that all files that I want synchronised need to be in a folder called My Documents/My Dropbox. That means that I need to be able to store my translation memories in a folder in My Dropbox, which would allow me to work from my office, then pick up from where I left off on my laptop, without the additional step of copying the latest translation memory I had been working with to another folder.

As you see, it is urgent to resolve the file location issue, as well as many other issues related to the user's ability to customize their preferences and tweak the software to suit their way of working. In the meantime, despite my investment of time and money, I am seriously considering dropping SDL Trados in favour of either Wordfast or Deja Vu.

Canada
English to French
+ ...
Off-topic PS re: Dropbox Jan 31, 2012

By the way, if any forum user wishes to consider Dropbox (or a similar off-site storage solution), I strongly recommend it - it simply changed my life. The website is www.dropbox.com

And if you do decide to try Dropbox, you and I both will get 50 Mb of extra storage if I invite you, so please do not hesitate to e-mailicon_wink.gif

Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
You can easily synchronise desktop and laptop when using Studio Jan 31, 2012

Evelyna Radoslavova wrote:
You see, I use Dropbox to synchronise my files between my two computers (and my portable device), and that means that all files that I want synchronised need to be in a folder called My Documents/My Dropbox. That means that I need to be able to store my translation memories in a folder in My Dropbox, which would allow me to work from my office, then pick up from where I left off on my laptop, without the additional step of copying the latest translation memory I had been working with to another folder.

As you see, it is urgent to resolve the file location issue, as well as many other issues related to the user's ability to customize their preferences and tweak the software to suit their way of working. In the meantime, despite my investment of time and money, I am seriously considering dropping SDL Trados in favour of either Wordfast or Deja Vu.

I use AlwaySync for synchronization. However, the software itself does not matter at all.
What I have done:
On desktop and laptop I have exactly the same user name in Windows. This makes the Libraries paths the same.
Then both desktop and laptop have a partition D: for working files with EXACTLY the same folder structure.
Now I just need to synchronize D: and Libraries and I am done.

From early 2011 the situation became a little more complicated, as I introduced network storage at home. Now I then have D: for TMs and TBs, another drive for working files (this is the network one) and the libraries as usual.
So in order to synchronize computers I need to synchronize libraries, D: drives and the network drive with an external HDD, which plays the role of the network drive on the laptop when I am on the road. Works like a charm.
On top of this it allows me to keep a very decent folder and file structure in favor of the EN 15038 requirements.
So I do not really see any issue (or big issue) with file location.

Canada
English to French
+ ...
File location Jan 31, 2012

Jerzy Czopik wrote:
So I do not really see any issue (or big issue) with file location.

Nope. No issue at all. As long as we all work in the way SDL presumes that we need to, or in the same way that you do.

However, I don't feel the need to change, because my way works like a charm for me. And I am sure that there are as many ways of working as Trados Studio users (185,000 according to SDL).

Therefore, the lack of customisation options (and especially one as simple as that) IS a huge issue.

Sweden
Swedish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
File location IS an issue - and a nuisance! Feb 1, 2012

[quote]Jerzy Czopik wrote:

These folders are no nuisance

And they can be kept emptyicon_smile.gif
The only thing which is indeed stored there and cannot be moved elsewhere are the project templates and the Projects.xml file.

I think I tuned out of the discussion after Jerzy's somewhat condescending response, because I didn't see the point in arguing that these dictatorially created files that screwed up my file structure/work methods were indeed a nuisance to me, even if they weren't to others. However, I see that I am not the only one bothered by this, which gives me hope that this issue will soon be resolved by Trados.

And if if were indeed the case, as Jerzy says, that some of our colleagues are incapable of basic file administration (although I doubt that highly skilled translators who manage many different and complex software programs on a daily basis are unable to create folders), that is still no excuse for assuming that this applies to ALL users, and therefore forcing the majority to work according to a system created for the minority, with no chance of customizing such a basic thing as where you need your files to be saved. As Evelyna so eloquently put it, if there are 185,000 Trados Studio users, there are probably just as many customization choices!

And in response to Jerzy's final statement about there being many software programs that automatically create unwanted folder structures, going all the way back to Windows 95, I can only agree with that. Yes there are, but that is no justification! Just because all the other Dodo birds are jumping off the cliff, doesn't mean that you have to too!

(Please excuse the attempt at humour via the Ice Age movie reference; I find their version of why the Dodo bird went extinct quite hilarious. "There goes our last female..!"icon_smile.gif)

In my opinion, the bottom line is that file location IS a huge issue and one the any program that strives to be user-friendly needs to address via customization. The fact that some people are less picky and can live with or ignore unwanted/intrusive folders that mess up their work flow doesn't mean that the system isn't flawed and shouldn't be fixed.

It is, and it should.

Pages in topic:   [1 2 3] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Studio 2011 - Changing where files are saved

Advanced search

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »
SDL MultiTerm 2019
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2019 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2019 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search