Can I save files translated in TagEditor as both clean and unclean?
Thread poster: Mariana Rohlig Sa

Mariana Rohlig Sa  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 14:18
English to German
+ ...
Nov 8, 2011

Dear all,

I am quite inexperienced with TagEditor and was wondering if bilingual files can be saved as both clean and unclean? If so, what are the steps to do so? Do I need to select the translated text, open a new TagEditor window and save it as unclean? I don't want to mess with it, now that I just finished translating a file.

Thank you for any input and apologies if this has been discussed already.

Mariana

Vadim Kadyrov  Identity Verified
Ukraine
Local time: 16:18
Member (2011)
English to Russian
+ ...
Sorry Nov 8, 2011

But you cannot do that. I studied a lot to learn how to do it, but it is impossible.

You can only use the TM you used to translate the file in TagEditor in order to translate the file in Trados Workbench.

Mariana Rohlig Sa  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 14:18
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
ok Nov 8, 2011

Thank you, Vadim. I was just wondering whether I had to do it, but if it is not an option, the client won't be expecting an unclean file.

crista_b
United States
Local time: 08:18
French to English
+ ...
Possible Nov 8, 2011

It actually is possible to return a bilingual file. It will be a .ttx file though rather than the original format (e.g., MS Word). If you have the file open in TagEditor, once it has been translated, choose File>Save bilingual as.... From there, you can do the file name as you otherwise would, but leave whatever comes after the [dot], and leave the "save as type:" as "SDL Trados Bilingual Documents". So if your original file is example.doc, when you click "save bilingual as..." choose the folder to save it to, and you could change the name to example-trans.doc. You will then have a file in the folder named "example-trans.doc.ttx". This is the bilingual, "unclean" file.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Can I save files translated in TagEditor as both clean and unclean?

Advanced search

SDL Trados Studio 2019 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2019 has evolved to bring translators a brand new experience. Designed with user experience at its core, Studio 2019 transforms how new users get up and running, helps experienced users make the most of the powerful features, ensures new

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search