Can I use SDL Studio 2011 on Window thin client for creating TM?
Thread poster: Sushan Harshe

Sushan Harshe
India
Local time: 15:04
English to Hindi
+ ...
Nov 9, 2011

Hi,

We are using Windows Thin Client Server. Can we use Studio 11 in this environment and create a TM?

Regards,

Sudarshan

Grzegorz Gryc  Identity Verified
Local time: 11:34
French to Polish
+ ...
It should work but... Nov 9, 2011

Sushan Harshe wrote:

We are using Windows Thin Client Server. Can we use Studio 11 in this environment and create a TM?

IMO Studio was not intended as an application for thin clients but I suppose it's possible (I use sometimes the administrative terminal mode for Studio installed on my Windows server, which is very similar).

Nonetheless:
- you must have Professional floating licenses (for other license types the license is disabled if Microsoft RDP is detected);
- you should give a lot of memory to the client (Studio may use up to 2 GB of RAM for some operations e.g. AS dictionary generation), so t may be cheaper and more effective to buy normal workstations if you're planning multiple Trados thin clients (the floating Pro license is also very expensive);
- it's possible you should adjust the user right settings for some files/folders in the shared system folders (generally, it should work, Studio is not so messy as the old Trados).

PS
The last time I tested it for S2009.
The licensing server technology for S2011 changed, so it may be some quirk here.

BTW
The support for MS Terminal Server was recently introduced in memoQ.

Cheers
GG

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Can I use SDL Studio 2011 on Window thin client for creating TM?

Advanced search

SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search