Questions about Trados 2011 (spellchecker, segment status, termbase etc.)
Thread poster: Rain Na Bun

Rain Na Bun
Thailand
Local time: 15:49
Member (2011)
English to Thai
Nov 9, 2011

Hi,

I have some questions about Trados 2011.

1. The spell check does not work.
I use MS word 2010.
The spell ckeck button under tools is in grey color and indicate that Language not Supported.
What can I do?

2. When I open the SDL XLife for review, the file always go to translation page.
When I open it from the file page, it indicate that the file has already openned for translation.
What should I do?

3. I am reviewing a project.
If I edit what translator did, should I put the status as translation rejected.
Will the amended target segment save in TM, if the status is translation rejected.
I would like my edited segment appears in TM.

If I edit and then click the status as approve, will the client see what has been edited?

Will the edited segment save in TM, when I enter to the next segment?

4. I would like to add term to termbase in Trados 2011.
I click right at the target segment but the add new term is not activated.
Why?
Is there any other method for me to add a term to a termbase in Trados 2011?

5. I don't know why some terms cannot be searched when using Termbase search.

Thank you very much

Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 10:49
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Quite a bunch of questions, but not a problem of the software, so your title is misleading Nov 9, 2011

To start with: when you post a topic called Problem, people at once associate this with a software in question. So even without reading the topic they will assume the software is making problems. This way you are on the way to ruin the name of the software. There are obvious reasons why it is necessary to be precise in title. In your very case the problems are caused by the lack of knowledge how to use the software rather then real problems of the software itself. I would be very grateful if you could edit the posting title.

Rain Na Bun wrote:

Hi,

I have some questions about Trados 2011.

1. The spell check does not work.
I use MS word 2010.
The spell ckeck button under tools is in grey color and indicate that Language not Supported.
What can I do?

Which spell checker is activated? Did you activate Word as spell checker? Is the necessary language installed in Word?

2. When I open the SDL XLife for review, the file always go to translation page.
When I open it from the file page, it indicate that the file has already openned for translation.
What should I do?

How do you open the file? A double click always opens for translation. To open for review right click and chose proper operation. Should you already have done so, the software will open the file in the Editor view, so in the same place as for translation, however for a different task. The Editor view will thus change.

3. I am reviewing a project.
If I edit what translator did, should I put the status as translation rejected.
Will the amended target segment save in TM, if the status is translation rejected.
I would like my edited segment appears in TM.

If I edit and then click the status as approve, will the client see what has been edited?

Will the edited segment save in TM, when I enter to the next segment?

Leave the status as long you did not create the return package for the customer. Approved segments do not contain track changes, so the customer will not see any changes.
When you created the return package open the file anew, accept changes, finish the review and update your TM. This way you and your customer will have what needed.

4. I would like to add term to termbase in Trados 2011.
I click right at the target segment but the add new term is not activated.
Why?
Is there any other method for me to add a term to a termbase in Trados 2011?

Did you select any source and target terms? If not, how shall the software know what to add.

5. I don't know why some terms cannot be searched when using Termbase search.

Me neither. No typos in the terms? Do you use fuzzy search?

Rain Na Bun
Thailand
Member (2011)
English to Thai
TOPIC STARTER
Question Nov 9, 2011

Jerzy Czopik wrote:

Which spell checker is activated? Did you activate Word as spell checker? Is the necessary language installed in Word?

I activate MS Word 2010 as spell checker. Yes it is installed and work well in Windows.

How do you open the file? A double click always opens for translation. To open for review right click and chose proper operation. Should you already have done so, the software will open the file in the Editor view, so in the same place as for translation, however for a different task. The Editor view will thus change.

I open the file from computer into Trados 2011, then the file appears right away to the editor view. So I go the file page and right click 'open for review', then there is the message 'the file is already open in editor for translation. I delete the file in editor page for translation, and open the file again from computer into Trados, it repeat to open in translation page.

Leave the status as long you did not create the return package for the customer. Approved segments do not contain track changes, so the customer will not see any changes.
When you created the return package open the file anew, accept changes, finish the review and update your TM. This way you and your customer will have what needed.

I would like to update the TM while I review.
So if I remain the status of translation rejected, my edited segment will not save in TM, right?

For your suggestion, does it mean that I submit the file with translation rejected segment, and then open the file anew accept changes and update the TM and send this TM to customer?
Because if I submit the status of approved segments, the client cannot see any changes?

Did you select any source and target terms? If not, how shall the software know what to add.

Thank you very much for your suggestion.

I use fuzzy search. The term also not appear in term recognition.
I guess it because the term in termbase contains 2 words that divide by slash.

Thank you very much

Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Answers Nov 9, 2011

Rain Na Bun wrote:

Jerzy Czopik wrote:

I activate MS Word 2010 as spell checker. Yes it is installed and work well in Windows.

Is the desired language installed? Can you spell check that language in Word?
I do not doubt Word working correctly, but the language seems to be missing.

I open the file from computer into Trados 2011, then the file appears right away to the editor view. So I go the file page and right click 'open for review', then there is the message 'the file is already open in editor for translation. I delete the file in editor page for translation, and open the file again from computer into Trados, it repeat to open in translation page.

You should not open the file "from computer".
Start Studio first, chose the project and the the file to open. Any other way will open for translation.

I would like to update the TM while I review.
So if I remain the status of translation rejected, my edited segment will not save in TM, right?

Indeed it will not.
But you can have both at a time. Either you do review and leave the changes for the customer to see or you confirm.

For your suggestion, does it mean that I submit the file with translation rejected segment, and then open the file anew accept changes and update the TM and send this TM to customer?
Because if I submit the status of approved segments, the client cannot see any changes?

Exactly.

Thank you very much for your suggestion.

Select target term. Press F6, select source term. Right click one of those, select Add new term.
That's it.

I use fuzzy search. The term also not appear in term recognition.
I guess it because the term in termbase contains 2 words that divide by slash.

That could be. Why are these words divided by slash? Are they synonyms?
Then there should be two separate terms on target side.

Rain Na Bun
Thailand
Member (2011)
English to Thai
TOPIC STARTER
Question Nov 9, 2011

Jerzy Czopik wrote:

Is the desired language installed? Can you spell check that language in Word?
I do not doubt Word working correctly, but the language seems to be missing.

Yes it is installed. I can spell check in MS office.

You should not open the file "from computer".
Start Studio first, chose the project and the the file to open. Any other way will open for translation.

I guess I have to wait for a moment and reopen it from the project file. Because I can open it now from the project view.
Thank you for your kind suggestion.

Indeed it will not.
But you can have both at a time. Either you do review and leave the changes for the customer to see or you confirm.

Thank you very much. I will do what you suggest to submit the file with translation rejected segment, and then open the file anew accept changes and update the TM and send this TM to customer.

Although, this will make me cannot use what I edited to the previous segment to the same word in the new segment, because I cannot save TM while I review, when the segment is in the status of translation rejected.

Select target term. Press F6, select source term. Right click one of those, select Add new term.
That's it.

I select the source term and add new term, then save what I add. This comment appears 'This term already exists in the termbase. Do you want to merge the entries? There is OK and CANCEL button. I click OK.
But when I use termbase search, it still cannot find the term and also does not appear in term recognition.
May be I have to delete the old term with slash and enter a new one.

That could be. Why are these words divided by slash? Are they synonyms?
Then there should be two separate terms on target side.

They are synonyms.

Thank you very much.

Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Clarification Nov 9, 2011

For the term problem I really do not know any solution.
Maybe you open the termbase in Multiterm and reorganize it? First close Studio, then reorganize the termbase in MT and then open Studio again. I must admit I have assumed term recognition problems are gone with S2011.

For the review problem: you cannot indeed use the corrected translation when reviewing the file. This way also when you correct an autopropagated segment this will not affect the other segments from the series. I have already commented on this to the program developers, so they are aware of this shortcoming.

Synonyms should be inserted in MT as separate entries. For example you have "car" in English and "Fahrzeug" or "Auto" on the German side. The entry should look like this:
car
Fahrzeug
Auto

but not "Fahrzeug, Auto" or similar.
Only in the case I shown MT will give you Fahrzeug or Auto as separated hits, otherwise you always get "Fahrzeug/Auto" together, when working from English into German and most probably nothing, when working the other way round (the probability your source will then have "Fahrzeug/Auto" is very small).

Rain Na Bun
Thailand
Member (2011)
English to Thai
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you for your suggestion Nov 9, 2011

I have already separated the term, and now it can be searched and recognized.

I will review and submit the file with translation rejected segment, and then open the file anew accept changes and update the TM and send this TM to customer.

I have to find way to make my spell check in Trados working.

Thank you very much Jerzy.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Questions about Trados 2011 (spellchecker, segment status, termbase etc.)

Advanced search

memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search