Cannot open documents in Word after successfully saving target version in Trados Studio 2009
Thread poster: David Evans
David Evans  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 18:01
Catalan to English
+ ...
Nov 9, 2011

For the last two days I haven't been able to open target versions of translations in Word during and after completing translations in Studio 2009.

Before I start processing the files in Studio, I have no problem opening them in Word. Something seems to happen to the file when I save a target version, although Studio saves it successfully.

Studio cannot generate a preview version during the translation process either. In the case of the preview error, the message is: Exception from HRESULT: 0xE0041270.

The message Word gives is that the file appears to be corrupt, damaged or may damage my system. I'm working with Office 2010 in Windows 7.

However, when I try to open the same target files in Word on my old computer (Windows XP, SP3, Word 2003) there is no problem. All the information is there. My customer was also able to open them.

Three days ago everything was working fine and I haven't installed anything new.

I'd appreciate any suggestions, thanks.

Direct link Reply with quote

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English
Can we see a file? Nov 10, 2011

Hi David,

Seems odd that it was working and isn't now. Perhaps you could create a simple example for me and let me see whether the file fails to open for me too. I'm also using W7 with Office 2010 and this would at least rule out Studio as being a culprit here and we can consider another course of action.

Regards

Paul

Spain
Catalan to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
File Nov 10, 2011

Thanks very much Paul, how would I send it to you? I'm also reluctant to say that it's a Trados issue, given that the translated files can be opened on other computers, but I can open all these files in Word before processing them in Trados.

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English
email is fine Nov 10, 2011

Hi David,

You can mail me, pfilkin@sdl.com

Regards

Paul

Spain
Catalan to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Observation Nov 10, 2011

Thanks Paul,

I'll prepare a simple document. I have noticed one thing. These are Word 2003-2007 or .docx documents but when I save the target version in Trados the only option that it is offering me is to save Word 2000-2003 (*.doc. *.dot). That seems very unusual.

David

Mariana Moreira
Portugal
Local time: 17:01
Member (2004)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Same issue May 18, 2012

Dear David, the same started happening to me as well today. Was your problem solved? How, can you please help me?

Thanks in advance
Mariana

Spain
Catalan to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Not solved May 18, 2012

Dear Mariana,

No, it wasn't solved. This was a problem I had with a specific set of files. It hadn't happened before and it hasn't happened since. I could edit the files in Trados and open the saved target version in an older computer. Crucially, the customer could open them as well. Is this happening with all your files or just with those of a specific job that you are doing? If you don't have access to another computer, see if you can view the saved target version as a Google doc. I was also able to do that.

Regards,

David

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Cannot open documents in Word after successfully saving target version in Trados Studio 2009

Advanced search

SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search