Can Studio 2011 open projects from Studio 2009?
Thread poster: Ángel Guillén

Ángel Guillén  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 12:56
English to Spanish
Nov 9, 2011

Hi

I have upgraded to Studio 2011 and I can't open projects from Studio 2009. Is that normal? Do I have to desinstall Studio 2009 for 2011 to work correctly?

Thanks

Angel

Direct link Reply with quote

Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
It can Nov 9, 2011

What do you mean with "I can't open Studio 2009 projects"?
Total refusal or just an error message?
In case you really can't - this is NOT normal.

Spain
English to Spanish
TOPIC STARTER
Nop Nov 9, 2011

Jerzy Czopik wrote:

What do you mean with "I can't open Studio 2009 projects"?
Total refusal or just an error message?
In case you really can't - this is NOT normal.

It says something like:"This project was created with a previous version of SDL Studio. It can only be opened in this version after it has been opened in SDL Studio 2009 SP3".

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English
Opening 2009 Projects with 2011 Nov 10, 2011

Hi Ángel,

If your project was previously created in 2009 SP3 then when you open for the first time in Studio 2011 you should get this message:

This is a one off operation and you won't need to do this again for that Project in 2011. You will also notice the archive option in the window. If this is checked then the Project will also disappear from the 2009 Projects View and if you look at the Project with Windows Explorer you will see that it has been zipped up within the Project Folder for 2009.

If you then try to open the upgraded Project with 2009 you will get this:

So you would need to unzip the archived Project in the SDL Trados 2009/Projects folder to use this project again. Of course any changes you made to it using 2011 will no longer be there. So once you upgrade a project to 2011 and work on it then you should only use 2011 for it in the future.

If you don;t choose this archive option then the project will remain available in 2009, but changes made using 2011 will still not be reflected in it because you are clearly working on a different set of files now in a different location.

On the message you are describing I'm not sure. I wonder if this is a Project created using a much older version of Studio 2009, and that maybe it needs to be upgraded to 2009 SP3 before 2011 knows what to do with it. To be honest I have not tested this scenario, but maybe you could test that? Alternatively feel free to send me the Project (if it's not confidential) and I can take a look?

Regards

Paul

[Edited at 2011-11-10 07:23 GMT]

Spain
English to Spanish
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Nov 10, 2011

Yes, you are right. I was trying to open some old project created with older version. I tried to open a more recent one (created with SP3) and it worked.

Thanks

Angel

Selcuk Akyuz  Identity Verified
Turkey
Local time: 14:56
Member (2006)
English to Turkish
+ ...
What about forward compatibility? Nov 10, 2011

Can Studio 2009 open projects created by the 2011 version?

Spain
English to Spanish
TOPIC STARTER
yes Nov 10, 2011

Selcuk Akyuz wrote:

Can Studio 2009 open projects created by the 2011 version?

See the answer from SDL support above!!

Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
I do not understand something then Nov 10, 2011

Ángel Guillén wrote:

Yes, you are right. I was trying to open some old project created with older version. I tried to open a more recent one (created with SP3) and it worked.

Thanks

Angel

But previously you wrote:
Ángel Guillén wrote:
It says something like:"This project was created with a previous version of SDL Studio. It can only be opened in this version after it has been opened in SDL Studio 2009 SP3".

The message is quite clear, so I really do not understand where the problem was.

This is a general question, not meant personally in any way, but what I really do not understand is why so many users do not even try to do what the software suggests or to avoid an error reported by those in a clear matter. Why so many people do not even try to analyse what they have done and try to redo avoiding the errors. Why so many people do not even try to learn by doing or to take some courses but are instead ready to critisize the software and ask the same questions all the time... Again - it is not the topic starter whom I adress here, but the whole community. Can someone please enlighten me and tell me, why so many people do not take any conclusions from what they do when it comes to software usage?

@Selcuk: no, it is not possible. Exactly as it is not possible to open a InDesign CS5 document in InDesign CS3.
The project structure has changed dramaticaly (also due to so many user requests regarding the creation of the "unnecessary" File Formats folder), so that Studio 2009 cannot use this format.

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English
Packages not Projects Nov 10, 2011

Hi Selcuk,

The short answer is no. If you try to open a project created with 2011 using 2009 then you will get the error message I posted above.

However, you have a couple of other options.

1. Create a Package for 2009 in Studio 2011. There are two package creation options.
2. Just translate the sdlxliff files

Regards

Paul

Post removed: This post was hidden by a moderator or staff member for the following reason: No personal comments, please
Post removed: This post was hidden by a moderator or staff member for the following reason: Previous post removed

Selcuk Akyuz  Identity Verified
Turkey
Local time: 14:56
Member (2006)
English to Turkish
+ ...
Forward compatibility Nov 10, 2011

Jerzy Czopik wrote:

@Selcuk: no, it is not possible. Exactly as it is not possible to open a InDesign CS5 document in InDesign CS3.
The project structure has changed dramaticaly (also due to so many user requests regarding the creation of the "unnecessary" File Formats folder), so that Studio 2009 cannot use this format.

Hi Jerzy,

I noticed the removal of the "unnecessary" File Formats folder. I am not a Studio user so I cannot say anything on the usefulness of that folder. Adobe has no real competitors so it does not mind about compatibility but this is another story.

SDL Support wrote:
The short answer is no. If you try to open a project created with 2011 using 2009 then you will get the error message I posted above.

However, you have a couple of other options.

1. Create a Package for 2009 in Studio 2011. There are two package creation options.
2. Just translate the sdlxliff files

Good for 2009 users! And even good for users of other CAT tools assuming that the package structure (which is a zip file) did not change.

Selcuk

alessandra bocco  Identity Verified
Member (2006)
English to Italian
+ ...
Problem with Studio packages Jan 7, 2013

I'm replying to this very old post, hoping someone from SDL can solve my problems...
I only have Studio 2011 and I used it smoothly for several months. Since I upgraded to the latest version (I think 10.4.3056), when I try to open Studio packages I receive the message "Upgrade project for SDL Trados Studio 2011" that was included in Paul's reply. If I upgrade the project, this message appears "The selected project could not be opened".
No way to work on the package unless I translate the individual sdlxliff files included (this works perfectly); my clients are getting annoyed since they would like me to send them a return package instead of several individual files and for me too it is not very convenient.
What can I do?
Alessandra

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Can Studio 2011 open projects from Studio 2009?

Advanced search

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search