Thread poster: Rachel Freeman

Rachel Freeman  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 01:04
Spanish to English
+ ...
Nov 11, 2011

Hello translators,

I hope someone can help me with this, and I would like to say thank you in advance.

I converted a PDF document in Spanish to a Word.docx to translate with Trados 2007. I've done this before and never had a problem until now. Now when I open the segments with Trados to translate them into English, either Trados or Word detects the source language as Arabic and flips the text. So the text still appears in Spanish but it splits the sentence, flips it, and types backwards.

I have tried changing the document from docx to doc and it still is convinced I'm writing in Arabic. I've also tried changing the segment source language from Arabic back to Spanish, but that doesn't work either.

Has this happened to anyone before? Again, thank you for any solutions you can offer.

Stanislav Pokorny  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
Work in TagEditor Nov 11, 2011

Hello Rachel,
no, this has never happened to me. I can just suggest that you try to open the Word document in TagEditor and use TagEditor as the translation environment. This should help.

Rachel Freeman  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank You Nov 11, 2011

Thanks a lot. I have been shying away from using the Tag Editor becuase I was trained on the Translator's Workbench. I guess now is as good a time as any to learn.icon_smile.gif

Stanislav Pokorny  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
Workbench + Word, Workbench + TagEditor Nov 11, 2011

Hello Rachel,
even when translating in TagEditor, you always use Workbench as the TM management tool. Just the editing environment is quite different from Word, but not too difficult to learn.

[Upraveno: 2011-11-11 16:36 GMT]

Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Switch automatic language recognition in Word off Nov 11, 2011

Automatic language recognition in Word is translators enemy.
This is why I always switch it off.
Then Word cannot change the segment language anymore.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Segments in Trados 2007 changing source language from Spanish to Arabic

Advanced search

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search