Studio 2011: compatibility bugs?
Thread poster: Tapsa

Tapsa
Local time: 14:22
English to Finnish
Nov 12, 2011

This is frustrating, as Studio 2011 keeps crashing in real use in about once in haff hour because of some unexpeccted memory exeption error or something (not relevant as an error), as there is plenty of memory left both in 2 G Vista machine and brand new 8 G Win 7 machine, according to Task manager.

As far as I see, it is related to poor programming in the interface or something between Studio and Multiterm. First, Studio refuses to recognise all terms in source sentences (which aré in termbase), then (not everytime but very often) the recognision pane "freezes" to show one of the results of one of the previous sentences, and finally, the whole Studio 2011 crashes.

This is soooo... frustrating, as similar heppened in 2009, and it was not fixed.

Is this what I paid for upgrading? Compatable bugs and new for free?

(new is the freezing of the pane)

[Edited at 2011-11-12 03:00 GMT]

Natalie  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 13:22
Member (2002)
English to Russian
+ ...

Moderator of this forum
Perhaps something is wrong with your installations? Nov 12, 2011

Try re-installing everything in accordance with SDL instructions. If something does not run correctly in your computer it does not necessarily mean that something is wrong with the software.

Tapsa
English to Finnish
TOPIC STARTER
Reinstalling does not help Nov 12, 2011

I have done it so many times - even to off the shelf machines with no other software but the operating system. The problem is in the software.

[Edited at 2011-11-12 11:38 GMT]

Natalie  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2002)
English to Russian
+ ...

Moderator of this forum
Quite strange Nov 12, 2011

Could you please specify which exactly versions do you use?

[Edited at 2011-11-12 11:40 GMT]

Susanne Rieg  Identity Verified
English to German
+ ...
Same problem here Nov 13, 2011

Hi Tapsa,

You are not the only one, we have exactly the same problem on my husband's and on my system (both Windows 7, 64bit, 4GB RAM). It has nothing to do with RAM.
We have noticed that the problem is related to the size and number of the MutiTerm TBs used (and possibly the size and number of the TMs and Autosuggest files).

The problem occurs, if you do a lot of adding/editing terms in Termbase View in Studio in one of those large TBs. But sometimes it can also occur simply because you have added TBs to your project that are too large. Some of the TBs we use have 100.000 terms and more. If the size of the TBs exeeds something like 500MB the problem starts to occur.

It does not occure if, (like quite a few translators strangly), you DO NOT use termbases or you have the usual small termbases with just a few hundred terms.

However, I understand SDL seem to be aware of the problem and do seem to be working on a fix.

Sanne

Tapsa
English to Finnish
TOPIC STARTER
Hope SDL is finally fixing this bug Nov 14, 2011

Natalie: Studio 2011 is build 10.0.2692.0, and Windowses are Finnish Home Premium editions, both with all the latest patches, but the problem doesn't seem to be there, as it has been (without the "freezing" pane) also in every Studio 2009 build I have had.

Susanne: Well, I too have one rather large Multiterm termbase (ab. 90 000 entries - ab. 150 000 source "words" and similar amount of target "words" if counting all variants in single entry), and the size is well over 600MB.

I truly hope SDL is aware of this problem - and most of all - finally fixing it (as the problem of not being able to find and highlight all terms that are in the termbase/termbases is also in Studio 2009).

By the way, after the Term Recognition pane has frozen to show matches in some previous segment, I can usually fix it temporarily (the program still crashes after some time) by clicking the Project Termbase Setting button in Term Recognition pane and clicking then the Termabase Search Setting page in Project Settings window.

This doesn't improve the recognition, but it at least lets Studio try to find matches in relevant segments again - for a while.

[Edited at 2011-11-14 23:20 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Studio 2011: compatibility bugs?

Advanced search

SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2017 helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »
PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search