Are Word 2007 equations editable in Studio 2011?
Thread poster: Matthew Fisher (X)

Matthew Fisher (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 03:05
German to English
Nov 13, 2011

I have a source document in Microsoft Word 2007 .docx format, which contains mathematical equations entered with Word's equation editor. I believe the equation editor was a new feature in Word 2007.

I have added this .docx file to a Studio 2011 project, prepared the file for translation, and opened the target language version of the file for translation. However, in the editor window, I don't see any segments for the equations.

When I save the target document, and open it in Word 2007, the untranslated equations do appear in the correct locations. So at least no information is lost.

I do understand that it's both difficult and expensive to achieve and retain 100% compatibility with Microsoft products. So this is not a complaint, just a question:

Obviously there are a few workarounds in the meantime:

1) Replace the original equation with something that doesn't rely on the new Word 2007 equation editor. For example, a simple equation can be typed in as ordinary text, e.g., C = ((Cvor + Cnach) / Cvor) x Q. This may require additional parentheses as compared to mathematical typesetting, and will not be so pretty, but in some situations it will meet the need.

2) Post-edit the target language document outside Studio 2011.

Incidentally my software version is SDL Trados Studio 2011 (Trial). I did order the Freelance Plus version with paid support on Friday, but my bank appears not to allow large online debit card payments to Europe. They went so far as to lock my card. This happens to be a 3-day holiday weekend in the United States, and bankers do love their holidays, but I'll try to sort the transaction out on Monday.

So far, the score is SDL 1, bankers 0. The interface and feature set are very nice.

Thank you.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Advanced search

WordFinder Unlimited
For clarity and excellence

WordFinder is the leading dictionary service that gives you the words you want anywhere, anytime. Access 260+ dictionaries from the world's leading dictionary publishers in virtually any device. Find the right word anywhere, anytime - online or offline.

More info »
PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search