How do I clean up files with Studio 2011, that were originally translated with Trados 2007?
Thread poster: pbakke
Nov 14, 2011

I'll try to keep this brief.

We've hesitated in upgrading from Trados 2007 (Workbench) to Studio, mainly due to having numerous legacy files that were translated with T2007 and still have to be reviewed (don't ask) and we wanted to be able to continue working with those files.

Now that T2011 allows us to work with bilingual legacy files, we've started testing T2011, and I was able to open old bilingual files in T2011 and review them without any problems.

However, having completed the revision, I now want to generate a clean Word-file, like we used to do with Workbench, where you remove the source text and Trados codes. And end up with a clean target translation. This is where we are stuck.

I've tried the Finalize and Generate Target Translation commands, but the Word file produced still contains the source text and Trados codes.

Please don't tell me I need Trados 2007 installed to run a clean-up...

George Cook
United Kingdom
Local time: 10:44
French to English
+ ...
You asked not to tell you, but... Nov 14, 2011

Unfortunately, Trados Studio only supports editing/reviewing bilingual Word documents; there is no way of outputting just the translation. This functionality is intended to make it possible for agencies/freelancers with different versions of Trados to exchange and translate documents more easily. Of course, you can't update the original Workbench TM from within Studio, so it provides only the functionality to edit and re-export the bilingual Word document to go back to where it came from and be cleaned into that TM.

However, you do not necessarily need to go into Workbench and run a cleanup. If you have updated the TM from within Studio, then you only need to remove tags/source text from the target document. To do this, you can use the tw4winclean macro from within Word, which will remove all the source text and tags, and leave you with a clean target file.

Of course, as your TMs are now all upgraded to Studio, once you have done this once with these legacy files, you should not have a problem with future translations.

Also, if you only need the TM updated, but don't need to actually do anything with the target translation (ie. send to a client), then you need not bother with cleaning it at all, provided you run the "Update Main TM" batch task from within Studio.

Edit: I have just realised that the macros of which I speak will not be included as part of Studio 2011, as they are part of the "Trados8" document template. In theory, however, a simple "find & replace" in the bilingual document, replacing hidden text with nothing, should also remove the source and tags.

[Edited at 2011-11-14 15:20 GMT]

pbakke
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you. Nov 15, 2011

Thanks for replying.

It turns out I can still run the tw4winClean macro as I still have the old Trados template available.

I also discovered that Word 2010 has a neat function called Document Inspector which allows you to delete all hidden text in one go. (File - Info - Check for Issues - Inspect Document). Problem solved!

Thanks again for taking the time to write such an informative reply.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How do I clean up files with Studio 2011, that were originally translated with Trados 2007?

Advanced search

PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search