I've got a new computer: What should I do to install TRADOS (intstalled in the older one) in it?
Thread poster: Mariana T. Buttermilch

Mariana T. Buttermilch  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 13:19
Member (2006)
German to Spanish
+ ...
Nov 14, 2011

Hi, I am trying to install my TRADOs (with license for only one computer) in my new computer and I can't. Should I unistall it first from the other one or should I do sth else???

Thanks in advance,
Mariana

Enote  Identity Verified
Local time: 19:19
Member (2007)
English to Russian
Usually you should return license to SDL Nov 14, 2011

You should run SDL License Manager on old computer.
Select View Activated Licenses - Return License items.
Then you can activate returned license on new computer.

Argentina
Member (2006)
German to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks for your help Enote!! Nov 14, 2011

I'll try it right now!!!

Greetings from Argentina,
Mariana

Argentina
Member (2006)
German to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I bought Studio 2011 - If I return the license to SDL... Nov 14, 2011

Will I still be able to work with Studio 2009??. I know colleagues who bought Studio 2011, and when they installed it, they lost their Studio 2009. I hope this doesn't happen to me when I return my license!!!

Greetings,
Mariana

Andrzej Lejman  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 17:19
Member (2004)
German to Polish
+ ...
Most probably no Nov 14, 2011

Mariana T. Buttermilch wrote:

Will I still be able to work with Studio 2009??. I know colleagues who bought Studio 2011, and when they installed it, they lost their Studio 2009. I hope this doesn't happen to me when I return my license!!!

Greetings,
Mariana

I didn't reinstalled anything yet, but 2009 is not listed among my licences anymore.

So I can use it as long as I don't touch my system.

But for what reason should you need 2009? You may need 2007, but it remains.

A.

Argentina
Member (2006)
German to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
My license allows me to use TRADOS in both computers Nov 14, 2011

But it does not work in the new one, that's the problem. I want to keep my old stuff. May be if i return the Studio 2011 I will be then able to solve the problem. I don't want to loose 2007 either!!!

Greetings,
Mariana

Enote  Identity Verified
Local time: 19:19
Member (2007)
English to Russian
It's serious matter Nov 14, 2011

You better ask SDL Support.
But AFAIK 'return of license' is actually nickname for deactivating it. The license belongs to you, as you bought it. You simply return to the state when you just bought SDL license and didn't activate it yet - so you can activate this license on any computer, old or new.
I didn't have Studio 2011 but I suppose that licenses for 2009 and 2011 are different and independent.

Emma Goldsmith  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2010)
Spanish to English
Licences and downloads Nov 14, 2011

As I understand it you had Trados 2007 and Studio 2009 on your old machine, and you upgraded to 2011. By upgrading, your old 2009 licence was replaced by the 2011 one. That means you will still be able to use 2009 on your old machine, but you won't be able to relicence it on your new machine.

However, it's not necessary. You don't need 2009 at all if you have 2011 installed. You won't lose any work because you can even open projects created in 2009. See this post by Paul about this
... See more
As I understand it you had Trados 2007 and Studio 2009 on your old machine, and you upgraded to 2011. By upgrading, your old 2009 licence was replaced by the 2011 one. That means you will still be able to use 2009 on your old machine, but you won't be able to relicence it on your new machine.

However, it's not necessary. You don't need 2009 at all if you have 2011 installed. You won't lose any work because you can even open projects created in 2009. See this post by Paul about this:
http://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/211648-can_studio_2011_open_projects_from_studio_2009.html#1838491

You must return your 2007 and 2011 licences on your old machine before you can licence them on your new machine.
Note that installation and licensing are two different things. You can download the applications on your new machine without any problem. But you won't be able to license them unless you have returned them from your old one machine.

So, in short, you won't lose 2007 at all, and you don't need to install anything from your old machine. Just return the licences.

Hope that helps.

Edited to add:
I'm not sure whether you have the "plus" version or not, because in your first post you say "with license for only one computer" and in your last post you say "My license allows me to use TRADOS in both computers", so maybe you could clarify this?

[Edited at 2011-11-14 19:26 GMT]
Collapse

Argentina
Member (2006)
German to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Emma!!! Nov 14, 2011

I do have this Version: SDL Trados Studio 2009 Freelance Plus. Even though I have bought Studio 2011 I haven't installed it yet (in my old machine) and don't want to:). I am just getting used to Studio 2009, so I prefer to go on working with it!

So, to the point and before following the steps you kindly suggest:) (thanks for your clear explanation)

If I want to keep 2007 and 2009, will I get them back if i return them, or will I only get the Studio 2011 back???
... See more
I do have this Version: SDL Trados Studio 2009 Freelance Plus. Even though I have bought Studio 2011 I haven't installed it yet (in my old machine) and don't want to:). I am just getting used to Studio 2009, so I prefer to go on working with it!

So, to the point and before following the steps you kindly suggest:) (thanks for your clear explanation)

If I want to keep 2007 and 2009, will I get them back if i return them, or will I only get the Studio 2011 back???

Sorry if my question sounds pretty stupid, but I really want to be sure that they will return me the versions I want to install in my new machine and not the upgrade i bought!

Greetings,
Mariana
Collapse

Natalie  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2002)
English to Russian
+ ...

Moderator of this forum
SITE LOCALIZER
Hi Marianna Nov 14, 2011

Install Studio 2011 in your new computer, and don't touch Studio 2009 in your old computer. This way you will have both (at least for the time being). Don't be afraid of Studio 2011: it looks exactly as 2009, but performs much better.

Argentina
Member (2006)
German to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Natalie for your advice! Nov 14, 2011

In that case I won't keep 2007 to install it in my new computer. Am i right??. Some clients send me word documents to proofread them and i need 2007 for that!

Greetings from Argentina,
Mariana

Poland
Member (2002)
English to Russian
+ ...

Moderator of this forum
SITE LOCALIZER
--- Nov 14, 2011

Bilingual DOC files can be opened and proofread in Studio 2011 (even the changes can be tracked), and you can save them afterwards also as bilingual DOC files, so no problems at all.

P.S. But you can install the old 2007 Trados, if you wish, of course.

[Edited at 2011-11-14 20:52 GMT]

Argentina
Member (2006)
German to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks again Natalie Nov 14, 2011

I like changes, but not the technical ones:). I will try this now. Hope it works;)!!!

Poland
Member (2002)
English to Russian
+ ...

Moderator of this forum
SITE LOCALIZER
Technical improvements Nov 14, 2011

make your life better and easier - don't be afraid to try them

Natalia

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

I've got a new computer: What should I do to install TRADOS (intstalled in the older one) in it?

Advanced search

SDL MultiTerm 2019
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2019 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2019 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search