Unable to open target files exported from TTX
Thread poster: DanieleH

DanieleH  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 06:50
English to French
+ ...
Nov 16, 2011

Once again I am having late nights (currently 1. 29, EST) and pulling my hair out and going crazy with TRADOS 2007.
I am translating a series of .doc files large and small about a sales training manuals that has a lot of text in boxes :
sometimes it is boxes in boxes as well, like small square boxes with the name of an account in a larger box that is a check list or a form to fill.

Tedious in Workbench as the boxes are not large enough to show both source and target segments so I switched to TTX; on a first run of smaller files, the Word file opens fine in TTX, I translate, save in bilingual file, export to target seemingly everything goes OK. The resulting .doc target file however does not show with the Word icon but the generic icon when the program cannot be identified. When I tried to open the file I received a message :

Windows cannot access the specified device, path or file. You may not have the apporpriate persmissions to access the item.
This is a new one to me Any idea???
I am using TRADOS 2007 and MS Office 2007. The doc files are in Word 2003.
Desperate; Only 22K to go and 22 files.....

Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 12:50
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Did you even try to open the file from within Word? Nov 16, 2011

Did you use the "Save target as" command?
Can you see the file name extension of the target file?
If not, start with changing the view in Windows in order to see file name extensions.
Relying just on icon and double-click is quite a bad method.

If you still are not able to open the correctly stored target file, start Word, chose the Open command, select the file and from the drop down menu on the right (where the "Open" button is) select "Open & Repair".

DanieleH  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 06:50
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Unable to open target files exported from TTX - problem solved Nov 16, 2011

Thank you for you suggestions ; I had in fact NOT included an extension when saving the file as target files, assuming that TRADOS was taking car of it since the format of the file (MS Word 2003 in that case) is indicated in the small window below.
And when you save as bilingual file you dot need to include an extension, it is done for you.
Once I made sure I did include an extesion it worked fine.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Unable to open target files exported from TTX

Advanced search

SDL MultiTerm 2019
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2019 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2019 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »
SDL Trados Studio 2019 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2019 has evolved to bring translators a brand new experience. Designed with user experience at its core, Studio 2019 transforms how new users get up and running and helps experienced users make the most of the powerful features.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search