Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Studio 2011: System.OutOfMemoryException
Thread poster: Sylvie Chartier

Sylvie Chartier  Identity Verified
Canada
Member (2010)
English to French
+ ...
Nov 17, 2011

Is there a way to fix this out of memory exception in Trados 2011 ?

Please find below the report.



- Une exception de type 'System.OutOfMemoryException' a été levée. - System.OutOfMemoryException, mscorlib, Version=2.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089 Sdl.FileTypeSupport.Filters.Word -

- SDL Trados Studio 10.0.0.0 10.0.2692.0 Microsoft Windows 7 Édition Familiale Premium Service Pack 1 1036 1252 Sylvie-Desktop\Sylvie 2.0.50727.5448 SYLVIE-DESKTOP True 6012684 MB

Thank you very much for your help.


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Mohamed Kamel  Identity Verified
Egypt
Local time: 13:17
English to Arabic
+ ...
I had the same problem... Nov 17, 2011

Dear Sylvie,

First, this error caused by a large SDLXLIFF file resulted from creating a project/opening a big file in 2009 version based on a big word, PDF, ...etc file. If you checked the SDLXLIFF file resulted you can see it is of a big size.

I faced the same problem in SDL Trados Studio 2009 and contacted one of support staff who used 2011 version and it worked like charm in 2011 version.

So, 2011 version is better in handling bigger files.

HTH


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Paul Harrison MITI
United Kingdom
Local time: 12:17
French to English
Kill Trados processes and restart Nov 17, 2011

This problem is due to the fact that Studio seems to be bad at managing its memory use.

Close Trados, open task manager and make sure there are no Trados processes running (end them if necessary), and reopen Trados: it should now let you clean up your file!

[Edited at 2011-11-17 14:51 GMT]


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Mohamed Kamel  Identity Verified
Egypt
Local time: 13:17
English to Arabic
+ ...
This might work, but... Nov 17, 2011

Paul Harrison wrote:

This problem is due to the fact that Studio seems to be bad at managing its memory use.

Close Trados, open task manager and make sure there are no Trados processes running (end them if necessary), and reopen Trados: it should now let you clean up your file!

[Edited at 2011-11-17 14:25 GMT]


This might work, however, I have 8 GB of RAM, but didn't work.


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Sylvie Chartier  Identity Verified
Canada
Member (2010)
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you but... Nov 17, 2011

Thank you Mohamed but I am using 2011...

Paul I will try your suggestion and hopefully it will work as I often work with lengthy files, specially PDFs.

Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Sylvie


Direct link Reply with quote
 
Martin Gyampoh  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 13:17
Member (2011)
English to German
+ ...
Disable AutoSuggest and AutoPropagate Sep 6, 2012

You will probably have found a solution for your translation project by now, and I'm not sure whether this will help with your particular problem, but my experience is that AutoSuggest and particularly AutoPropagate use a lot of memory. Particularly on large files it may help to disable these functions (you may have to restart Trados, too).

Direct link Reply with quote
 

pjg111  Identity Verified
Local time: 13:17
Member (2010)
English to French
Disabling AS and AP partially worked for me Sep 9, 2012

Martin Gyampoh wrote:

You will probably have found a solution for your translation project by now, and I'm not sure whether this will help with your particular problem, but my experience is that AutoSuggest and particularly AutoPropagate use a lot of memory. Particularly on large files it may help to disable these functions (you may have to restart Trados, too).


Hi Martin,

May I jump at this thread as your advice was helpful to me?
I'm having projects comprised of several ITD files generated from MS Office documents (mainly Word and PPT) that are to be submitted translated back onto SDL TMS.
I'm working on them locally using Trados Studio 2011.

Since I installed SP2, I've noticed that sometimes I'm unable to import large pptx.itd files into Trados Studio 2011. I get a similar memory exception message as Sylvie reported.

I tried your method disabling AS and AP before importing and it worked just fine for 2 of the 3 unimportable files. Moreover when I restarted Trados Studio 2011 after enabled AS and AP again, for one of the files (obviously the largest one), Trados Studio 2011 was unable to connect to the relevant MultiTerm termbase.

What would you suggest me to do? What could I ask my client to do for me?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers.

Patrick


[Edited at 2012-09-09 15:07 GMT]


Direct link Reply with quote
 

pjg111  Identity Verified
Local time: 13:17
Member (2010)
English to French
To Paul: Any idea to help me out? Sep 9, 2012

Hi Paul,

I can see you're available even on Sundays. I really appreciate it.
Any idea about my problem with large pptx.itd files into Trados Studio 2011?

Many thanks in advance.

Cheers.

Patrick


Direct link Reply with quote
 

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 13:17
English
Quick question Sep 11, 2012

Hi Patrick,

What OS are you using? If it's XP this may be the reason as we made changes to SP2 that resolved most, if not all, of the out of memory issues we were seeing earlier. But XP users can still experience this.

There is a setting you can use in Windows to increase the amount of RAM you are using, but obviously only effective if you have around 4Gb of RAM in the first place.

Regards

Paul


Direct link Reply with quote
 

pjg111  Identity Verified
Local time: 13:17
Member (2010)
English to French
OS is XP SP3 with only 3GB RAM installed Sep 11, 2012

SDL Support wrote:

Hi Patrick,

What OS are you using? If it's XP this may be the reason as we made changes to SP2 that resolved most, if not all, of the out of memory issues we were seeing earlier. But XP users can still experience this.

There is a setting you can use in Windows to increase the amount of RAM you are using, but obviously only effective if you have around 4Gb of RAM in the first place.

Regards

Paul


Hi Paul.

I'm using XP SP3 with 3GB of physical RAM installed.

Any advice?

Patrick


Direct link Reply with quote
 

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 13:17
English
Upgrade... Sep 11, 2012

... is probably not the advice you wanted. But moving to W7 would certainly help... otherwise maybe you could increase the available RAM in your XP solution and then try this process IF the additional RAM doesn't help by alleviating the draw from any other processes you have running.

http://dwf.blogs.com/beyond_the_paper/2009/04/enabling-3gb-switch-on-windows-vista.html

This isn't a process I can endorse because I don't know what effect this might have on anything else you are running, but if you are comfortable trying it and "untrying it" then it may help. Certainly I think if it was me (and I wanted to remain on XP), and if I had too many of these problems then I would give it a go.

Regards

Paul

[Edited at 2012-09-11 07:35 GMT]


Direct link Reply with quote
 

pjg111  Identity Verified
Local time: 13:17
Member (2010)
English to French
Use of /3Gb Switch just worked fine for me Sep 11, 2012

SDL Support wrote:

... is probably not the advice you wanted. But moving to W7 would certainly help... otherwise maybe you could increase the available RAM in your XP solution and then try this process IF the additional RAM doesn't help by alleviating the draw from any other processes you have running.

http://dwf.blogs.com/beyond_the_paper/2009/04/enabling-3gb-switch-on-windows-vista.html

This isn't a process I can endorse because I don't know what effect this might have on anything else you are running, but if you are comfortable trying it and "untrying it" then it may help. Certainly I think if it was me (and I wanted to remain on XP), and if I had too many of these problems then I would give it a go.

Regards

Paul

[Edited at 2012-09-11 07:35 GMT]


Hi Paul,

Thank you so much for your advice.
I'm glad to let you know that after having followed the steps outlined in the link you provided and enabling the /3Gb switch in my Windows XP boot.ini the importing issue was solved for each of the large pptx.itd files.

Cheers.

Patrick


Direct link Reply with quote
 

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 13:17
English
Thank you Fas..! Sep 11, 2012

Hi Patrick,

The credit is entirely down to Fas... a Senior Support Manager in Maidenhead who gave me this one..!

Cheers

Paul


Direct link Reply with quote
 

pjg111  Identity Verified
Local time: 13:17
Member (2010)
English to French
Sure but you were the middleman Sep 11, 2012

SDL Support wrote:

Hi Patrick,

The credit is entirely down to Fas... a Senior Support Manager in Maidenhead who gave me this one..!

Cheers

Paul


Dear Paul,

Thanks to Fas indeed but you have been the middleman and once again you did prove your dedication in helping.

Cheers

Patrick


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Javier Centeno
Germany
Local time: 13:17
German to Spanish
Same problem when trying to save, don´t want to loose work Nov 18, 2012

I get the same message and I can´t save my file. I already translated a lot. I am going to loose all work if I restart?
Please help.....


Direct link Reply with quote
 
Pages in topic:   [1 2] >


To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:


You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Studio 2011: System.OutOfMemoryException

Advanced search







PDF Translation - the Easy Way
TransPDF converts your PDFs to XLIFF ready for professional translation.

TransPDF converts your PDFs to XLIFF ready for professional translation. It also puts your translations back into the PDF to make new PDFs. Quicker and more accurate than hand-editing PDF. Includes free use of Infix PDF Editor with your translated PDFs.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »



Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search