SDL Trados, txt file
Thread poster: Livia Dosa

Livia Dosa  Identity Verified
Hungary
Local time: 20:40
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Nov 18, 2011

I have received a txt file to be translated - in Trados 2007.
This is my first time I'm working with this type of file, I just would like to ask for opinions, has anyone translated a file with this extension? What about the final file, could you get a txt file as "end product"?
Isn't it better to ask for in another format?
Sorry if my questions seem a little "amateur" but I just want to make sure if that works well.
Cheers and thanks!

Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Not enough information Nov 18, 2011

What was the source format? Is this an exported Pagemaker document?
If this is just a plain TXT file without anything else, just open it in Word, save as doc and process this doc file. When done, save as TXT from Word.

FarkasAndras
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Why would you do that? Nov 18, 2011

Txt is the most simple, most basic, most problem-free text file format there is. If it's just text, copy-paste it to an empty doc file as suggested by Jerzy so that you can process it with workbench. If it contains tags (gibberish in <angle brackets>) and not just plain text, you'll have to do further research.

Hungary
English to Hungarian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
txt file in Trados Nov 19, 2011

Dear András,
In principle, I would not have any problems in translating it just turned out to have a really weird outlook, that's why I had my doubts. The material is basically tons of "customized multi-level Bill of Ladings", and its format makes this confusion. With .doc file, I can import it into Trados, just looks horrible. I'll talk to the Client.
Jerzy, once again, thanks for your help!

Alexandre Maricato
Brazil
Local time: 15:40
English to Portuguese
Maybe a file that has been converted into txt? Nov 21, 2011

Just a question:

Is it possible that this txt have been OCRed from some PDF file?

If so, they will cerainly look horrible when you save the target file.

Hungary
English to Hungarian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
File converted to txt Nov 21, 2011

Caro Alexandre,
It is the case for sure - I do not have any information on this still from the Client.
These B/Ls are from year 2000, so, it must have been scanned and exported to this txt file. You cannot imagine the outlook.icon_smile.gif

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

SDL Trados, txt file

Advanced search

SDL MultiTerm 2019
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2019 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2019 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search