translation memory entries show up slowly in Studio 2011
Thread poster: Tomas Mosler, DipTrans IoLET MCIL MITI

Tomas Mosler, DipTrans IoLET MCIL MITI  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
Local time: 10:27
Member (2008)
English to Czech
Nov 18, 2011

Hi, I'm playing with Studio 2011 (new user) now and I noticed one thing:

When I'm moving between segments, it always takes a little while (like 0.5 sec) to get the entries (if any available) from the translation memory displayed for the next segment. This was no issue with Trados / Workbench 2007, the entries were instantly shown.

I understand 0.5 sec is nothing terrible, but still it is somewhat annoying having to wait to see (in TM) what I can(not) use, especially given it works better with the earlier release.

I don't think my machine is exactly slow, with 64-bit Win, 4 GB RAM and a SSD drive. (And the system was reinstalled recently so it is not full of whatever garbage that could effect this.)

Any hints what I could try to do about this? Or is it simply "normal"? icon_eek.gif

Thanks!

Tomas


 

Jan Kolbaba  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
Local time: 10:27
Member (2006)
English to Czech
+ ...
Hi Nov 19, 2011

there. I experience the same problems although I have a pretty strong and new machine (6 GB RAM, Intel Core i7). I'd say that this depends on number of TMs that you have open (active), size of actual document and/OR on the size (number of entries) of your TM(s). I think the computer's memory is slowly filling up by searching in your TM(s). I found out that it helps to switch the application (or at least the editor view) off and back on at certain intervals. I know, however, this can be very annoying and it's not a solution at all.
Honza


 

Tomas Mosler, DipTrans IoLET MCIL MITI  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
Local time: 10:27
Member (2008)
English to Czech
TOPIC STARTER
hmm Nov 19, 2011

Ahoj Honzo,

Frankly that is quite bad!

I have later tried several things, like changing the speed priority for the TM in Settings and Studio process priority in Task Manager, but to no avail.

The behaviour occurs even with a very short text and a brand new memory.

Interestingly MemoQ - which uses a similar integrated solution as Studio - is able to show up the entries immediately.

I'd appreciate if someone from SDL could comment these delays. I'd expect with upgrades the major things should be getting better or at least stay as good as before.


 

Susanne Rieg  Identity Verified
Local time: 10:27
English to German
+ ...
The first segment takes the longest time to find Nov 22, 2011

I noticed that it is the first segment once you have opened the file in Editor, where Studio takes longest to bring up a result. If I have many active TMs Studio sometimes throws up an error claiming that on of the TMs is "locked" whilst this is clearly not the case (probably some kind of timeout?). So the waiting is probably due to some access problems (possibly due to Windows 7 file management?)

For all the following segments Studio delivers results from the TM reasonably fast and will also find matches in TMs it earlier said were "locked". However during a large project it occasionally "stalls" and takes longer searching for matches only to pick up speed again for the subsequent segments.


Sanne


 

Tomas Mosler, DipTrans IoLET MCIL MITI  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
Local time: 10:27
Member (2008)
English to Czech
TOPIC STARTER
not only Nov 22, 2011

Hi Susanne and all,

I tried the TM look-up also with Studio 2009 on Windows Vista (32-bit) and a slower machine, and the speed seems to be the same (kind of delayed, no matter what segment it is), not worse, so this is maybe not hardware or OS related at all.

It almost seems as if Studio would be calling something (external) that is not able to react faster, no matter what the hardware configuration or operating system version is. Or as if there would be some "delayer" - which is (luckily!) missing from the good old Workbench - saying "wait 0.5 sec even if we could do faster".

Obviously even if it is by design by a chance, it is still not good. If the TM look-up is the second of the most important features (the first being the editor interface itself) of any CAT tool and fails to be instant, everyone can judge how much does it say about the "Innovations delivered" motto of SDL, when this functionality is actually worse in the Studio versions compared to Workbench 2007.


 

Algis Masys
Canada
Local time: 01:27
Member (2009)
English to Lithuanian
Welcome to the club Nov 29, 2011

Tomas, it seems that quite a few people are facing these issues.

http://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/210590-trados_2011_operating_at_very_very_low_speeds.html

And so far SDL appear to ignore these issues, although they waste a lot of our precious time.


 


To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:


You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

translation memory entries show up slowly in Studio 2011

Advanced search







CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »



Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search