Thread poster: Sarah Chalmers

Sarah Chalmers
Germany
Local time: 23:20
German to English
+ ...
Nov 19, 2011

Hi everyone,

I'm about to lose my patience with this project and am hoping someone out there has an answer. I have searched the forum and found similar problems, but only under Trados 2007.

I have worked with SDL Studio 2009 since the end of last year and this is the first time I've come across this.

My project involves a roughly 130-slide PPT file that was originally a Keynote (Mac?) file but had been converted. The second converted file gave no problems.<
... See more
Hi everyone,

I'm about to lose my patience with this project and am hoping someone out there has an answer. I have searched the forum and found similar problems, but only under Trados 2007.

I have worked with SDL Studio 2009 since the end of last year and this is the first time I've come across this.

My project involves a roughly 130-slide PPT file that was originally a Keynote (Mac?) file but had been converted. The second converted file gave no problems.
UPDATE: After trying to open the properly generated target translation I unfortunately discovered that although it had been converted in to a PPT, the file would not open in PowertPoint.

I did not change anything about the file (i.e. name or extension) and created a regular project folder as I always do. I used a TM made by alignment in 2007 (which also worked without problems for the second file). After completing the translation I get the following error message for the large file:

Error: Unable to locate original file: [name of file]
Please copy this original file into directory above and try again.

There is no directory mentioned "above" anywhere.

I also tried creating a brand new folder, re-copying the original file from the USB stick I received it with, once with and without changing the name (it has a few special characters in the name) but I still get the same message every time. The original file is still in the original folder, and the bilingual file is also in the project folder.

Has anyone had a similar problem and knows an answer? I would greatly appreciate it...

Thanks!

[Edited at 2011-11-19 20:49 GMT]

[Edited at 2011-11-19 20:50 GMT]
Collapse

Inga Nellen  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
Same problem Dec 2, 2011

Hi Sarah

Did you manage to find a solution? I've just been faced with the same problem.

Thanx,
Inga

19:47 same day - I have actually no idea what worked but after downloading SP3 and the Cumulative Hotfix Patch I finally managed to finalise this project. However, I would like to know what the real solution to this particular problem is - in case it happens again

[Bearbeitet am 2011-12-02 18:48 GMT]

Bernard Lieber  Identity Verified
English to French
+ ...
Copy Source File Into Source Folder Dec 2, 2011

Hi,

As far as I know, Studio 2009 first tries to look for the source file in the source folder in your project if it can't find it depending on your OS (I'm using Vista Pro and Windows 7) it'll create a temp folder (AppData -> Local -> Temp -> some cryptic folder) copy the source file into it and it should work.

HTH,

Bernard

Inga Nellen  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
Thanks for your advice Dec 3, 2011

Thank you Bernard, in case it happens again I'll try that first.

Have a nice weekend
Inga

Sarah Chalmers
Germany
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Keynote problem in this case Dec 4, 2011

Hi Inga and Bernard,

sorry for the late reply, I only just read your emails. Bernard, thank you for your suggestion, I will remember it in case this problem ever happens again.

After hours of frustrating attempt to create the project folder afresh and trying all sorts of ideas, I still found so solution.
Eventually, I took the Keynote file which had been converted into a PPT by the client and deleted all of the "extra" stuff that was unnecessary for the actual tra
... See more
Hi Inga and Bernard,

sorry for the late reply, I only just read your emails. Bernard, thank you for your suggestion, I will remember it in case this problem ever happens again.

After hours of frustrating attempt to create the project folder afresh and trying all sorts of ideas, I still found so solution.
Eventually, I took the Keynote file which had been converted into a PPT by the client and deleted all of the "extra" stuff that was unnecessary for the actual translation - it was a presentation on photography and had LOADS of pictures of cameras and settings, and many example pictures. I deleted those, together with the very busy background from the master slide file, and then I was able to convert the file again. However, it must have already become corrupted during the initial conversion from Keynote into PPT, as some slides were missing content completely.

I don't know if this actually solved the problem or if this just happened to be an addition complication that was then removed by deleting all the extras, but it worked and I finalised the project, even though this meant the client had to re-format the file entirely with the pictures and background.

Next time it happens (if at all) I will try what Bernard suggested, and hope that does the trick.

Have a nice Sunday,
Sarah
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Error message: unable to locate original file

Advanced search

SDL Trados Studio 2019 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2019 has evolved to bring translators a brand new experience. Designed with user experience at its core, Studio 2019 transforms how new users get up and running and helps experienced users make the most of the powerful features.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search