Trados Studio 2009 freelance - invalid licence
Thread poster: msgallo

msgallo
Local time: 14:37
German to English
+ ...
Nov 21, 2011

I am currently taking a Postgraduate Translation course, for which I have been assigned a Trados account and the use of Trados 2009 until July 2012.

I successfully downloaded the software, and was able to use it for several days, but not longer than as week. After which point, my laptop was unable to connect to the SDL server when I loaded it up. Instead it ttok me to the product activation wizard which asks if I have a licence or need to buy one. Obviously I then clicked through to the 'have a licence' section, and inputted my licence number in the box. At this point, the connection to server seems disturbed, as the load time is within a second. I have used up dial-up internet connections in the past, and recognise that a server search takes longer than a second.

I then get: Could not contact activation server (Error code 0)

Activation failed.

I have scoured the forum for the same error type, which seems to hint at it being a firewall problem. I dutifully uninstalled my then virus software, and loaded a new type of software, Avast. I also did a boot scan, detecting and eliminating trojans. Then I retried loading Trados. Nothing.

The next step was checking my Windows Firewall. I added the SDL settings and port numbers to the list - and retried loading Trados. Nothing.

Hehehe, next I switched off the Windows Firewall for a quick attempt at loading Trados. But to my dismay, again the same error message happened.

My tutor thinks it could be an OS problem, and advised me to maybe think of installing Windows7. I am currently using Vista Home. I'm not too sure about doing this without losing too much information, and I have backed up my documents and photos since then, but really, I am launching a fresh attempt at figuring out the solution to this problem before I make any purchases in a new OS.

Looking forward to getting some feedback.

Best wishes

Michelle Gallo

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Trados Studio 2009 freelance - invalid licence

Advanced search

WordFinder Unlimited
For clarity and excellence

WordFinder is the leading dictionary service that gives you the words you want anywhere, anytime. Access 260+ dictionaries from the world's leading dictionary publishers in virtually any device. Find the right word anywhere, anytime - online or offline.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search