https://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/212548-formatting_to_upper_case.html

Formatting to upper case
Thread poster: Lorraine Bathurst
Lorraine Bathurst
Lorraine Bathurst
United Kingdom
Local time: 20:36
Spanish to English
+ ...
Nov 21, 2011

Hi

When translating in Studio 2009 - the formatting in previously translated segments (from earlier translations) is often different to the current document. But Trados never recognises the new format and inserts the previously translated format - i.e. there are difference in italics, bold underlining etc

e.g. I want to put Clause One into CLAUSE ONE:

Is there an easy formatting button to do this?
Thanks
Lorraine

I have tri
... See more
Hi

When translating in Studio 2009 - the formatting in previously translated segments (from earlier translations) is often different to the current document. But Trados never recognises the new format and inserts the previously translated format - i.e. there are difference in italics, bold underlining etc

e.g. I want to put Clause One into CLAUSE ONE:

Is there an easy formatting button to do this?
Thanks
Lorraine

I have tried the below - but points 3 & 4 don't bring up all the formatting used in the ST

"This gives us the opportunity to have a look at another way of applying character formatting:
1. First, translate the segment without applying the character formatting.
2. Highlight the string in your target segments to which the character formatting need to be
applied.
3. Press the following keyboard combination: Ctrl+,
4. This will open a list with the three types of character formatting that are used in the source
segment.
5. Select the character formatting type that you want to apply by clicking it in the list.
6. Repeat these steps for the other strings in the target segment that need to be formatted, and
confirm the segment."
Getting Started: Studio 2009 Training Manual
Collapse

Angela Dickson (X)
Angela Dickson (X)  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
French to English
+ ...
Capitals Nov 21, 2011

Hi Lorraine,

Capitals aren't really formatting, so Ctrl+, won't help you in this case. If you highlight the relevant part of your target segment and press Shift+F3, this will toggle between "ALL CAPITALS", "Capital At The Beginning Of Each Word", and "lower case".

[Edited at 2011-11-21 13:21 GMT]

István Hirsch
István Hirsch  Identity Verified
Local time: 21:36
English to Hungarian
Workaround/capitals Nov 21, 2011

Filter the source side to collect all segments in capitals, select the filtered target segments and convert them into upper case in a single step, then restore all segments.

Lorraine Bathurst
Lorraine Bathurst
United Kingdom
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks to you both Nov 21, 2011

Cheers guys - very useful!

Alessandra Prado
Alessandra Prado  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 16:36
Member (2013)
English to Portuguese
Thanks!! Dec 8, 2015

Very useful!!!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Formatting to upper case

Translation news related to SDL Trados

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »