Studio 2011 Problem: Not Responding. Termbase Size Issue?
Thread poster: Koshinokinsho
Koshinokinsho
Koshinokinsho  Identity Verified
Local time: 22:20
Japanese to English
Nov 23, 2011

I'm currently working on a large Japanese to English project. Until recently, I hadn't been experiencing any problems, having been using Trados for the last 6 weeks and having upgraded from 2009 to 2011. However, on this large project, I'm repeatedly experiencing a situation in which Trados goes Not Responding, with the cursor changing to a circle. It tends to happen after I've opened the termbase. I'm using a termbase with 790 entries, so I'm not sure whether it's to do with the size of the ter... See more
I'm currently working on a large Japanese to English project. Until recently, I hadn't been experiencing any problems, having been using Trados for the last 6 weeks and having upgraded from 2009 to 2011. However, on this large project, I'm repeatedly experiencing a situation in which Trados goes Not Responding, with the cursor changing to a circle. It tends to happen after I've opened the termbase. I'm using a termbase with 790 entries, so I'm not sure whether it's to do with the size of the termbase. However, I've just increased the size of the memory on my laptop from 4GB to 8GB and that doesn't seem to have made a difference. I really need to get this project back on track and with all of the terminology unified. Please help!

*ADDENDUM* I'm now pretty sure it's to do with the size of the termbase - Trados & MultiTerm are working fine with a different project and termbase that are smaller. Does anyone know if there is a limit on the size of the MultiTerm termbase that can be used? 790 terms seems rather small, though.

My other query is whether it is possible to create two termbases from a single one. Can it be done in MultiTerm Desktop? If not, can it be done if one purchases MultiTerm Extract?

Any help anyone can give me would be greatly appreciated.

[Edited at 2011-11-23 04:57 GMT]
Collapse

Koshinokinsho
Koshinokinsho  Identity Verified
Local time: 22:20
Japanese to English
TOPIC STARTER
A possible breakthrough? Nov 23, 2011

I removed about 24 terms from the termbase and also used the "reorganize" function to reorganise the termbase. It seems to be working OK again, touch wood, though I'm not sure whether it's just because I didn't use the file or that particular termbase for a while (have been working on a different project).

I'm now wondering whether I should start saving terminology to a new termbase (effectively making it Volume II for this particular subject), or whether just reorganising the term
... See more
I removed about 24 terms from the termbase and also used the "reorganize" function to reorganise the termbase. It seems to be working OK again, touch wood, though I'm not sure whether it's just because I didn't use the file or that particular termbase for a while (have been working on a different project).

I'm now wondering whether I should start saving terminology to a new termbase (effectively making it Volume II for this particular subject), or whether just reorganising the termbase regularly will keep it working OK. Again, would appreciate any input any other Trados users can provide.

Best wishes,

Eleanor
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Studio 2011 Problem: Not Responding. Termbase Size Issue?

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »