Studio 2009 Multiterm Widget
Thread poster: Will Kelly
Will Kelly
United Kingdom
Dutch to English
Nov 23, 2011

Hi all,

I purchased Studio 2009 a couple of months back and shortly after installation my PC became extremely slow (to the point of being nigh on unusable), would not shut down, and would require several attempts at booting. The PC repair shop identified the problem as the Multiterm Widget. Once deleted, problems were all completely solved.

Now I'm not happy that a piece of software that costs hundreds of pounds cost me four days work and a repair bill. Not happy at all. But I'm also wondering what I'm now missing. I mean, the Multiterm Widget was part of the package that I paid for, and now I don't have it. What is it, and what does it do (other than damage PCs)?

Direct link Reply with quote

XXXphxxx  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 02:31
Portuguese to English
+ ...
Same problem here Nov 23, 2011

You now remind me Will. I had EXACTLY the same problem. My computer wouldn't shut down at all and the whole system just froze up. I can fix most problems on my PC but this was beyond me and I also had to take it to a repair shop and have the Multiterm Widget removed. I wrote it off as an incorrect installation on my part but perhaps it wasn't. Yes, what is this troublesome widget for?

Tansy  Identity Verified
Local time: 03:31
German to English
Interesting Nov 23, 2011

I recently installed Studio 2009 on my new laptop. Now whenever I start up my laptop I get the error message "Fehler beim Lesen der XML-Struktur. Bitte überprüfen Sie ob die Datei C:\Users\Tansy\AppData\Roaming\SDL\SDLMultiTerm\WidgetSettings.xml wohlgeformt ist. Das Stammelement ist nicht vorhanden."
which roughly traslates as "Error in reading the XML structure. Please check whether the file .... is well-formed. The master element is not available"
This is then followed by a second error message "Der Objektverweis wurde nicht auf eine Objektinstanz festgelegt"

And whenever I try to shut down my laptop it tells me that programmes are still open (although they're not!) and asks whether I want to force the laptop to shut down - which I do and it does.

So a multiterm widget also seems to be causing me problems somewhere - although with me it's more of an annoyance than a serious problem.

Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Delete the file which is mentioned in the error message Nov 23, 2011

then delete the element "MT Widget" from the Autostart menu in your computer.
Should you also find SDL Trados 2007, delete that either.
After restart you should not have any problems with MT Widget and with shutting down your PC.

Will Kelly
United Kingdom
Dutch to English
TOPIC STARTER
True, but... Nov 23, 2011

fixing it isn't the issue. The questions are what is it, why is it so rubbish and what am I now missing given that it's something I've paid for and now can't be used?

Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Then just delete the file Nov 23, 2011

and leave the Widget in Autostart.
Then you will not be missing anything.
When you configure your Widget to search sources relevant to you, make yourself a backup copy of the xml file which is now reported to be damaged. In case it gets damaged next time you simply can replace the damaged one with the backup copy and thus keep your settings.

And please do not ask why. Why a Normal.dot in Word is getting corrupted? Why an injection valve in an engine stops working? Why the computer crashes? Sorry, I do not know...

Michael Grant
Japan
Local time: 11:31
Japanese to English
MT Widget according to SDL... Nov 24, 2011

Will Kelly wrote:

fixing it isn't the issue. The questions are what is it, why is it so rubbish and what am I now missing given that it's something I've paid for and now can't be used?

FYI here's the description of the Widget according to SDL:

The SDL MultiTerm Widget is the latest innovation in the SDL MultiTerm product suite. It is a simple application that allows anyone to easily check the meaning or translation of a word as they read, write or translate.

Access words from anywhere - check your terminology accuracy from with a browser, DTP tool, text editing tool or any translation technology

Connect to online content - look-up words from online dictionaries and search engines such as Google Dictionary or Linguee.com

Increase your productivity - reduce the time it takes to research words and terminology in multiple languages

Promote your work - if you have built up terminology for a translation project, it is now easily accessible to everyone with the SDL MultiTerm Widget

The SDL MultiTerm Widget is the perfect solution to ensure you are using the right word, at the right time, in any language.

Source: http://www.translationzone.com/en/translator-products/sdlmultitermdesktop/sdl-multiterm-widget/

MLG4035

Will Kelly
United Kingdom
Dutch to English
TOPIC STARTER
That sounds like Nov 24, 2011

something I'd want, something that could be very useful.

XXXphxxx  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 02:31
Portuguese to English
+ ...
Is there is a simple way of getting it back? Nov 24, 2011

Will Kelly wrote:

something I'd want, something that could be very useful.

My computer repair shop had to delete it as it was making my computer seize up, couldn't shut down at all. Is there any way of getting it back and trying again? Having said that, I don't fancy another repair bill if it does the same thing again...

Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Just recreate the shortcut Nov 24, 2011

And I am quite certain, that Widget did not stop your computer from shutting down.
It was Synergy and this is a well known problem.
Just do not auto-start SDL Trados 2007 and you're done.

Grzegorz Gryc  Identity Verified
French to Polish
+ ...
Multiterm Glutton... Nov 24, 2011

Jerzy Czopik wrote:

And I am quite certain, that Widget did not stop your computer from shutting down.
It was Synergy and this is a well known problem.

Nope.
The problem is the Multiterm Widget.
Synergy was not preventing the shutdown before Multiterm Widget was installed.

I.e., as always, the Muliterm guys assumed they live in a perfect world and didn't test the compatibility with their own software.

Just do not auto-start SDL Trados 2007 and you're done.

In fact, almost nobody used the Synergy features, so its speed launcher (called SDL Trados 2007) can be safely deleted with no problem at all...

BTW
If the machine is rather weak, one may also delete the Multiterm Widget shortcut and launch the software manually when really needed.
Multiterm Widget eats a lot of memory even if inactive, i.e. approx. 40 MB of RAM, total 90 MB (with swap), which is scandalous if compared to most resident programs.
Even an entire translation environment like DVX eats less memory (40 MB of RAM, total 50 MB for a 25000 word project...).

Catspeed
GG

[Edited at 2011-11-24 22:13 GMT]

FarkasAndras
English to Hungarian
+ ...
MT widget Nov 24, 2011

Promote your work - if you have built up terminology for a translation project, it is now easily accessible to everyone with the SDL MultiTerm Widget

Does this mean "You send your MultiTerm mdb file to people via email attachment, and they can open it if they have the software" or is there some sort of live online sharing for us paupers who only bought the Freelance edition of Studio/MT?

Luca Tutino  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 21:31
Member (2002)
English to Italian
+ ...
It starts (and jams up everything) anyway Nov 24, 2011

I do not have MT widget nor SDL Trados 2007 in my Autostart menu ("Esecuzione Automatica" in my Italian version). However I have the impression that the widget opens every time I use trados (2007 or 2009) or Multiterm, and possibly even when I do not use them.

I have an 8MB RAM 64-bit PC under WIN7 fully updated, the CPU might not be the most updated (I3) but it should be largely sufficient for much more than such an add-on, but the Widget keeps slowing down my communications and eventually my System Explorer until when I do not close it down.

I never configured any xml file (I am not interested in using the widget right now).

Luca

Jerzy Czopik wrote:

then delete the element "MT Widget" from the Autostart menu in your computer.
Should you also find SDL Trados 2007, delete that either.
After restart you should not have any problems with MT Widget and with shutting down your PC.

[Edited at 2011-11-24 15:37 GMT]

Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
To have an impression is not equal to know something Nov 24, 2011

Luca Tutino wrote:

I do not have MT widget nor SDL Trados 2007 in my Autostart menu ("Esecuzione Automatica" in my Italian version). However I have the impression that the widget opens every time I use trados (2007 or 2009) or Multiterm, and possibly even when I do not use them.

If Widget starts, you will have it in your Windows notification area.
And you can see the process. So please check that to get to know. Impressions are very good in paintings and maybe when it comes to fashion, but not in computer business.

Susanne Gansloser-Hartmann  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2009)
English to German
Deinstall Multiterm Widget? Aug 11, 2013

I have deinstalled Multiterm Widget and deleted it from the Autostart. The reason is that after having a real cool translation time with Studio 2011 and Multiterm, Studio 2011 refused to open. After the Plug-in installation screen nothing happened. Moreover I was in the middle of project.

I have installed and deinstalled Multiterm 2009 and 2011 and Studio 2009 and 2011 several times. But nothing helped. As soon as I switched of my computer and switched it on again, Studio refuesed to open.

I have only one question: Does the deinstallation of this miracle widget in any way impair the functionality of Studio 2011 and Multiterm (which is in my opinion a real symbiosis without widget)?

By the way, why was it necessary to change a really good running system just to play with words throughout a company? No need to answer to this question.

Thanks

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Studio 2009 Multiterm Widget

Advanced search

WordFinder
The words you want Anywhere, Anytime

WordFinder is the market's fastest and easiest way of finding the right word, term, translation or synonym in one or more dictionaries. In our assortment you can choose among more than 120 dictionaries in 15 languages from leading publishers.

More info »
LSP.expert
You’re a freelance translator? LSP.expert helps you manage your daily translation jobs. It’s easy, fast and secure.

How about you start tracking translation jobs and sending invoices in minutes? You can also manage your clients and generate reports about your business activities. So you always keep a clear view on your planning, AND you get a free 30 day trial period!

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search