How can I enter a thin space in Studio (09 or 11)
Thread poster: Jonathan Hopkins

Jonathan Hopkins  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 16:22
German to English
+ ...
Nov 23, 2011

Hello friends and colleagues,

Does anyone know how to add a thin space (U+2009) in Studio? When I try simply using ALT+2009 (or ALT+8201 for that matter), I get a strange symbol, which isn't exported as a thin space.

Any ideas?

Also, if anyone knows how to access a list of special characters in Studio, that would be greatly appreciated. So far I haven't found any such list.

Thanks in advance for your replies.

Jonathan

Direct link Reply with quote

xxxjacana54  Identity Verified
Uruguay
English to Spanish
+ ...
Had a similar problem with “ (Alt+0147) Nov 23, 2011

Hi Jonathan,

Try going to Tools>Options>Keyboard shortcuts.

Get rid of that funny symbol that is associated your command, and try again. I solved it that way.

The F1 (Help) section has helped me solve many problems.

I printed out the whole list of shortcuts and have it on my desk for easier reference... obviously only use a few of them.

Good luck!

[Edited at 2011-11-23 12:36 GMT]

Germany
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
There is no Studio shortcut using ALT+2009 Nov 23, 2011

Hi Lucia,

Thanks for your quick reply. If I understood you correctly, you suggest that ALT+2009 is already in the list of Studio's shortcuts list? And that's what causes me trouble? Did I understand you correctly?

I've checked the list, but I don't see any command with this shortcut assigned to it.

Any other ideas?

Jonathan

Uruguay
English to Spanish
+ ...
You're right! Nov 23, 2011

Hi again,

I did mean that but now I see that you're right. I'll look again. Sorry.

Have you tried adding that command in the list under Project Settings-Options-Keyboard shorcuts?

Please be patient until the Studio experts get to read your questions... people are in different time zones and I'm sure you'll get a better reply.

Edited to add a question

[Edited at 2011-11-23 12:48 GMT]

Germany
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
You can't add new "Actions" to the shortcuts list Nov 23, 2011

Hi Lucia,
Have you tried adding that command in the list under Project Settings-Options-Keyboard shorcuts?

As far as I know, you can't actually add new commands to the list in Studio. You can only change the assignment of shortcuts to the default commands.

Jon

Uruguay
English to Spanish
+ ...
I'll wait with you Jon Nov 23, 2011

OK, Jon, I'll wait with you and hopefully in a short while we'll both learn from somebody else.

Giles Watson  Identity Verified
Italy
Italian to English
Custom QuickInsert? Nov 23, 2011

You could add the space as a custom QuickInsert item.

Go to Project Settings>File Types>the document tye you are working in>QuickInsert

then click Add and copy and paste the space from Word into Studio, making sure to tick the Toolbar box so the item will appear in your Studio toolbar. Mouse over the toolbar button to see what keyboard shortcut it has been assigned (CTRL+a number).

Germany
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Great tip! Nov 23, 2011

Hi Giles,

Thanks for the tip! That works great!

Cheers,
Jonathan

Richard Hill  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 10:22
Member (2011)
Spanish to English
@Giles and Jonathan Jun 29, 2012

I followed the instructions to add a thin space in Studio 2011 which worked great, so I went to add another QuickInsert but it seems to only be possible to add one QuickInsert. I guess this is because Ctrl+9 was allocated to thin space meaning that number 1-8 are used up by other default QuickInserts, and I can't work out how to remove the default ones to free up a number for another custom one. Any ideas? BTW, my second QuickInsert does appear in "select a QuickInsert item from a list of those available" on the toolbar.

Cheers!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How can I enter a thin space in Studio (09 or 11)

Advanced search

memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »
SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2017 helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search