How do I translate a .csv file from Chinese to English and Swedish?
Thread poster: Fredrik Pettersson
Fredrik Pettersson
Fredrik Pettersson  Identity Verified
Hong Kong
Local time: 17:57
Member (2009)
English to Swedish
+ ...
Nov 23, 2011

This .csv file already has all the Chinese source words translated to English. I want to open the file in SDL Trados Studio 2011, keep the Chinese source words and the English translations and then add my own Swedish translations.

Is that possible, to have one source language and two target languages (one target language, English, already translated)?

It is a long word-list on more than 10
... See more

This .csv file already has all the Chinese source words translated to English. I want to open the file in SDL Trados Studio 2011, keep the Chinese source words and the English translations and then add my own Swedish translations.

Is that possible, to have one source language and two target languages (one target language, English, already translated)?

It is a long word-list on more than 100,000 words.

Also, I want to use my own TM:s, where one TM is Hong Kong traditional Chinese and the other TM is mainland China Chinese. Is that possible, if I set the project-TM as PRC Chinese, and the Hong Kong-TM as global TM? This .csv file contains both traditional and simplified Chinese
Collapse

Heinrich Pesch
Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 18:57
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
Set as non-translatable what you don't need Nov 23, 2011

Or just hide the columns with stuff you don't want to see. I don't know about Studio, but in WFP you can choose which column you want to translate and into which column the target is put.

Fredrik Pettersson
Fredrik Pettersson  Identity Verified
Hong Kong
Member (2009)
English to Swedish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I get two identical rows Nov 24, 2011

When I opened the 100,000 rows, the both rows with source and target were identical:

http://screencast.com/t/ef4jD0Ma

So I suppose I need to prepare the .csv file first, perhaps cut out only the row I want to translate and the English translated row to an Excel sheet and open that in Studio.

Studio is very slow so the 100,000 rows will be too much to handle, I will
... See more
When I opened the 100,000 rows, the both rows with source and target were identical:

http://screencast.com/t/ef4jD0Ma

So I suppose I need to prepare the .csv file first, perhaps cut out only the row I want to translate and the English translated row to an Excel sheet and open that in Studio.

Studio is very slow so the 100,000 rows will be too much to handle, I will split it up in 5 segments.

Can I make the editor window and display of each TU larger, larger font? As it is now, the details of the Chinese characters are hard to discern.
Collapse

Heinrich Pesch
Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 18:57
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
Studio probably copied the source Nov 24, 2011

when no match was found in the TM.
Trados used to be slow with spreadsheets. I always used to copy to Word and translate in a separate file. But when copying back Excel often makes a mess out of it. Then I switch to OpenOffice Calc.

Stephanie Busch
Stephanie Busch  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Editor window/font sizes in Studio 2011 Nov 24, 2011

Hi Fredrik,

Editor font sizes in Studio 2011 can be adapted the same way as in Studio 2009:

Tools > Options > Editor > Font Adaptation

Here you can set minimum/maximum font sizes for source and target.

The Editor window itself can be enlarged by dragging the borders of the Editor window (this will make the other Studio windows smaller), by closing/minimizing other Studio windows, e.g. the navigation pane, or by enlarging/maximizing Studio.
... See more
Hi Fredrik,

Editor font sizes in Studio 2011 can be adapted the same way as in Studio 2009:

Tools > Options > Editor > Font Adaptation

Here you can set minimum/maximum font sizes for source and target.

The Editor window itself can be enlarged by dragging the borders of the Editor window (this will make the other Studio windows smaller), by closing/minimizing other Studio windows, e.g. the navigation pane, or by enlarging/maximizing Studio.

HTH
Stephanie
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »