how to search 1 or 2 words in SDL
Thread poster: tomu6526

tomu6526  Identity Verified

Local time: 12:26
English to Chinese
+ ...
Nov 24, 2011

Any one can help me?

In SDL, it only can search 3 or more words, if I want to search only 1 or 2 words in SDL,it does not work, any one can tell me how to set ?

Thanks in advance.

avsie (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 06:26
English to French
+ ...
What exactly are you trying to do? Nov 24, 2011

Where are you searching?

- in a text?
- in a TM?
- in a termbase?

Also, which version of Trados/SDLX are you using?

Chunyi Chen
United States
Local time: 21:26
English to Chinese
search on the right "side" Nov 25, 2011

Hi Tomu,

If I understand you correctly, you were asking how to set up the concordance function correctly in order to search a one-word or two-word term in the Editor view in Studio? As far as I know, Studio doesn't have restrictions on the minimum number of words you can search using concordance. The trick is, if you want to search a source word in the active TM, you need to highlight the word on the source segment, not the target segment even if you have the source text copied to the target segment. Jerzy has said this many times:)

I hope this helps. I am sorry if I misunderstood you.

Chun-yi

tomu6526  Identity Verified

Local time: 12:26
English to Chinese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
reply Nov 26, 2011

Chun-yi Chen wrote:

Hi Tomu,

If I understand you correctly, you were asking how to set up the concordance function correctly in order to search a one-word or two-word term in the Editor view in Studio? As far as I know, Studio doesn't have restrictions on the minimum number of words you can search using concordance. The trick is, if you want to search a source word in the active TM, you need to highlight the word on the source segment, not the target segment even if you have the source text copied to the target segment. Jerzy has said this many times:)

I hope this helps. I am sorry if I misunderstood you.

Chun-yi

I am using trados studio 2009
yes you are correct,I want to use concordance function to search only 1 or 2 words in previous memory,but it does not work( I have highlighted the source word), but if i search 3 or more words in concordance function,it works. e.g. if i want to search "并且" two words in Chinese through concordance , it can not find out any results, but if i search " 并且是"3 words in chinese, it works and display some matching results.

if i can resolve this problem, then i can greatly improve my translation speed.

thanks

Chunyi Chen
United States
Local time: 21:26
English to Chinese
hopefully someone from SDL can comment on this Nov 26, 2011

Hi again,

I have never used concordance to look for English words, so I wasn't aware of such limitations. It seems to me that you are doing it correctly. Maybe someone from SDL can shed some light on this. It doesn't make sense to have such restrictions since we use a lot of two-word terms in Chinese.
Good luck!

Chun-yi

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

how to search 1 or 2 words in SDL

Advanced search

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search