Thread poster: Mary Worby

Mary Worby  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 23:04
German to English
+ ...
Nov 24, 2011

Hello All,

Hopefully someone out there can help me!

I'm running Studio 11, which I noticed updated itself yesterday, so I am now on Version 10.0.2692.0. I'm also running Windows 7.0.

Since the update, whenever Trados is running, my whole computer virtually grinds to a halt. Trados runs unbearably slowly, as does Word, Firefox, Outlook and any other applications which are running. The computer fan is also going full-time.

Is there any way of uninstalling the latest update? Or any other way of remedying this?

Many thanks in advance
Mary

Jonathan Hopkins  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 00:04
German to English
+ ...
Maybe it's due to some other issue? Nov 24, 2011

Hi Mary,

I have the same build on my Windows 7 computer here, too, but Studio runs as it did before the update.

Mary Worby wrote:
Trados runs unbearably slowly, as does Word, Firefox, Outlook and any other applications which are running. The computer fan is also going full-time.

Since you're experiencing the same problem with all other applications, it is more likely due to some other issue.

Let us know if you discover the problem.

Cheers,
Jonathan

United Kingdom
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Paul Nov 24, 2011

It's an odd one, isn't it. But the other applications only run slowly when Trados is also running. Which leads me to believe it is probably the culprit.

I looked on the Trados Knowledge Base and found another cumulative patch. Supposedly build 2696 but it doesn't seem to have incremented. Anyway, I've patched and rebooted and it seems to have done the trick. Fingers crossed and all that!

Bernard Lieber  Identity Verified
English to French
+ ...
Memory Issue? Nov 24, 2011

Hi Mary,

Same here. Right-click on the Taskbar and Start Task Manager -> Processes, check which processes use the most memory.

Cheers,

Bernard

FarkasAndras
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Which process Nov 24, 2011

Mary Worby wrote:

It's an odd one, isn't it. But the other applications only run slowly when Trados is also running. Which leads me to believe it is probably the culprit.

You could have easily determined the source of the problem by pressing Ctrl-Shift-Esc. On the Processes tab, sort by CPU and see which process is stressing the CPU. If it's SDLTradosStuio.exe that's constantly running at 97% CPU without doing anything, then you have your answer.

Mary Worby wrote:
I looked on the Trados Knowledge Base and found another cumulative patch. Supposedly build 2696 but it doesn't seem to have incremented. Anyway, I've patched and rebooted and it seems to have done the trick. Fingers crossed and all that!

In order to make the forum useful for others as well as yourself, you might want to post what that patch was.

[Edited at 2011-11-24 09:34 GMT]

United Kingdom
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
No wild processes Nov 24, 2011

Thanks both, I did check for processes going haywire but CPU usage was pretty normal. Certainly Trados wasn't using up all my memory ...

Found the patch here:
http://kb.sdl.com/display/2/index.aspx?c=&cpc=&cid=&t=&r=0.231069982051849

FarkasAndras
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Impossible Nov 24, 2011

Mary Worby wrote:

Thanks both, I did check for processes going haywire but CPU usage was pretty normal. Certainly Trados wasn't using up all my memory ...

If your computer slowed to a crawl, and, more importantly, you could hear the fan whirring like crazy (when it doesn't normally do that), then something must have been using the CPU to the max. The fan only revs up when there is a lot of heat to dissipate, and that heat can only come from the CPU.*
I'd guess that the extreme CPU usage stopped just before you found the right tab in the Task Manager. **

*Barring extraordinary events like very hot weather, clogged-up vents etc.

**It could also have been some scheduled system task - some of them slam the CPU pretty hard. Windows does them when the computer is idle, so when you start the Task Manager to see why the fan is blaring, they stop. But these scheduled tasks only start up when you haven't done anything on the computer for a minute or two, not when you're working.

United Kingdom
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I know it's odd ... Nov 24, 2011

I think maybe there is also an issue with my computer fan, but believe me, my husband is an IT consultant and checked it all out. There were no processes going haywire and it didn't stop when I went into task manager. It has also stopped since I applied the patch.

Thanks for your input!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

System running slowly since Studio 11 updated

Advanced search

BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »
PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search