How do I select two columns from Excel to open in SDL Trados Studio 2011?
Thread poster: Fredrik Pettersson
Fredrik Pettersson
Fredrik Pettersson  Identity Verified
Hong Kong
Local time: 15:07
Member (2009)
English to Swedish
+ ...
Nov 24, 2011

I opened the comma-separated .csv file from within Excel (Excel already opened), and chose encoding UTF-8 as the .csv contains one column with traditional Chinese characters, one column with simplified Chinese characters, one column with Pinyin, and the last column with English translations and explanations and examples.

The last column also contains some Chinese characters to a small extent (in
... See more

I opened the comma-separated .csv file from within Excel (Excel already opened), and chose encoding UTF-8 as the .csv contains one column with traditional Chinese characters, one column with simplified Chinese characters, one column with Pinyin, and the last column with English translations and explanations and examples.

The last column also contains some Chinese characters to a small extent (in the examples given in this last column that mainly though concists of the English translation and explanations written with Latin characters).

I want to open this in SDL Trados Studio 2011 for translation from Chinese into Swedish, but as I can only have one source language variant, I want to choose the second column, containing simplified Chinese characters, and the fourth column, containing the English translation and examples and explanations.

I want to skip the first column (with Traditional Chinese characters), and the third column (with Pinyin).

Can I do this, choose from within Studio to only import certain colunns? I know I could easily copy and paste in Excel those columns I want to open in Studio, but it would be convenient if I could do this from within Studio instead.
Collapse

JimShanks
JimShanks
Local time: 14:07
Dutch to English
Hide the unwanted columns Nov 24, 2011

I believe that hiding the unwanted columns will mean that TRADOS will ignore them and only open the visible columns for translation.
Hope this helps

Jan Kolbaba
Jan Kolbaba  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
Local time: 15:07
Member (2006)
English to Czech
+ ...
Copy Nov 24, 2011

the whole required (your source language) column(s) and paste it(them) into a new Excell sheet and save it as "working.xls(x)" (for example). Translate this "Working" sheet in Trados and finalize your translation. Use the original Excell sheet as reference while translating. Then copy the translated text into a desired column of your original Excell sheet.

HTH, Jan

Michael Grant
Michael Grant
Japan
Local time: 22:07
Japanese to English
By far the easiest way... Nov 25, 2011

jimshanks wrote:

I believe that hiding the unwanted columns will mean that TRADOS will ignore them and only open the visible columns for translation.
Hope this helps

Jimshanks is right on the money: simply hide the columns you don't need...

MLG4035

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »