Thread poster: Maria Helena Brenner-Kelly

Maria Helena Brenner-Kelly
United States
Local time: 09:37
Member (2011)
English to Portuguese
Nov 25, 2011

Hello.

I've received a .ttx file from an agency. The file was created from a Powerpoint presentation, but I don't have access to the source presentation, only to the .ttx file.

When the author wrote the presentation, he broke lines within the text boxes using the Enter key, and therefore created several "paragraphs" within the text box. Each of the "paragraphs"is a different TU in the .ttx file.

Now, I need to join 2 or more segments to create one TU which can be correctly translated to the target language. How can I do that, if Trados doesn't join TUs that are in different paragraphs?

I have Studio 2009 and also Trados 2007, but I am not an expert in any of them. So, a solution in any of these versions will be OK, as long as is written having a newbie user in mindicon_smile.gif

Thanks,

Maria

Grzegorz Gryc  Identity Verified
Local time: 15:37
French to Polish
+ ...
DVX2 or similar... Nov 25, 2011

Maria Helena Brenner-Kelly wrote:

I've received a .ttx file from an agency. The file was created from a Powerpoint presentation, but I don't have access to the source presentation, only to the .ttx file.

When the author wrote the presentation, he broke lines within the text boxes using the Enter key, and therefore created several "paragraphs" within the text box. Each of the "paragraphs"is a different TU in the .ttx file.

Now, I need to join 2 or more segments to create one TU which can be correctly translated to the target language. How can I do that, if Trados doesn't join TUs that are in different paragraphs?

Use DVX2 or similar tool, it joins easily this kind of TTX segments.
A 30 day demo can be downloaded from http://www.atril.com

I have Studio 2009 and also Trados 2007, but I am not an expert in any of them. So, a solution in any of these versions will be OK, as long as is written having a newbie user in mindicon_smile.gif

In Studio 2009, no way.
In Trados 2007, it's possible to switch off the document protection in TagEditor (Tools, Options, Protection), then paste manually the second TU source content in the first one (always leave something in the second TU).
It's easy but you can damage the TTX file if you don't pay attention.

Cheers
GG

United States
Member (2011)
English to Portuguese
TOPIC STARTER
GG, I did it and it worked, but... Nov 25, 2011

GG,

Thanks for the suggestion re: turning off the protection in 2007. I did it and it worked, but why do I need to leave something in the second TU?

I tested by deleting the second TU completely (and leaving the "cf" tag at the end of the first, "expanded" TU). The TM in Workbench seems to be OK, and tageditor didn´t return any error messages when I saved the bilingual file.

Do you think I will have problems down the road?

Also, if I leave "something" in the second TU, should I leave the target segment blank? In that case, when I send the bilingual file to the clients, will they have any problems?

Thanks for your help so far. I hope I am not "overstaying my welcome"!

Maria

Grzegorz Gryc  Identity Verified
French to Polish
+ ...
Comments... Nov 25, 2011

Maria Helena Brenner-Kelly wrote:

Thanks for the suggestion re: turning off the protection in 2007. I did it and it worked, but why do I need to leave something in the second TU?

I tested by deleting the second TU completely (and leaving the "cf" tag at the end of the first, "expanded" TU). The TM in Workbench seems to be OK, and tageditor didn´t return any error messages when I saved the bilingual file.

Do you think I will have problems down the road?

If you export the file correctly, it's OK.
If you leave sthng in the 2nd segment, it's simply safer.
E.g. you can put there sthng like ### you can delete afterwards.
In case of problems, It's easier to spot the modified segments.

Also, if I leave "something" in the second TU, should I leave the target segment blank?
In that case, when I send the bilingual file to the clients, will they have any problems?

Generally, no blank segments should be left unless specified otherwise.

In fact, you should notify the problem to your client and ask his opinion.
The most obstinate ones will simply refuse this kind of workaround, in this case, you simply send 'em stupid fragmented segments.
Garbage in, garbage out.

Cheers
GG

Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Spaces would be enough Nov 25, 2011

or the second best solution is what Greg proposes ????, #### or something similar, what can be easily earched in PPT to be replaced with nothing.
When you leave the segment completely empty, the file will not convert. Using space will make the segments "invisible"icon_smile.gif

United States
Member (2011)
English to Portuguese
TOPIC STARTER
Got it! Nov 25, 2011

Thanks, Jerzy and GG, for the help.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

shrinking segments that end with line break

Advanced search

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
SDL Trados Studio 2017 only €435 / $519
Get the cheapest prices for SDL Trados Studio 2017 on ProZ.com

Join this translator’s group buy brought to you by ProZ.com and buy SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance for only €435 / $519 / £345 / ¥63000 You will also receive FREE access to Studio 2019 when released.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search