Trados Studio 2011 crashes
Thread poster: Rosa Grau
Rosa Grau
Spain
Local time: 22:32
English to Catalan
+ ...
Nov 26, 2011

Trados Studio 2011 tends to crash 2-3 times at the beginning of each working session, when opening the first file. Is it warming up? Has anybody else had this problem?

Direct link Reply with quote

Astrid Elke Witte  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2002)
German to English
+ ...
Could you tell us a bit more about the problem, and about your PC? Nov 26, 2011

What kind of PC do you have?

Is it the "system out of memory exception", by any chance? That would then not be the fault of Studio.

Rosa Grau
Spain
English to Catalan
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Just closing Trados Nov 26, 2011

Laptop running Windows 7. It just closes the application. Does not happen with any other software, only with Trados.

Tapsa
Local time: 23:32
English to Finnish
Started to do the same thing today Nov 28, 2011

Seems to crash if one opens the file to translate "too fast" (not sure of this yet, though). Very interesting, as it hasn't done it before.

The error message is meaningless "Studio 2011 lakkasi toimimasta..." (Studio 2011 stopped working or whatever). Once Studio just closed itself without any message.

And, if this has any help to anyone:

Finnish Win 7 64-bit Home Premium with latest patches, Studio 2011 also up-to-date, 8 G Ram, ab 3 T hard disk space, a few grey hairs, and not enough money.

Rosa Grau
Spain
English to Catalan
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Speed Nov 28, 2011

Thank you, Tapsa, I also noticed today that it happens when I open the file "too" fast, too fast for the software but not for me...

But it should not happen anyway. My impression is that Trados is badly engineered and full of bugs, has been insufficiently tested and has defective functioning. Launched too fast, as 2011 is almost ending...

Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
How can you open a file "fast"? Nov 28, 2011

This is magic... I would very much like to open files fast, but somehow I am unable too.
And I also must admit, that in my eyes your impressions are wrong - my Studio 2011, whic I do use now since March this year (yes, I belong to the team of beta testers and have been testing this software for you extensively on a big number of diffent files in real life projects) and I do not have major problems with crashes. The program is as stable as any other piece of software...

Tapsa
English to Finnish
Fast is fast, or not so slow... Nov 28, 2011

Jerzy, I mean that I must wait a while while Studio is doing something before I double-click the project file I want to translate.

After selecting the project Studio displays the files in the project. If I double-click the file (to be translated) as soon or soon after I see the list, *crash*, but if I wait about ten seconds or whatever, the file opens without crashing.

This started to happen in my system just today

christenino  Identity Verified
Austria
English to German
+ ...
Studio 11 crashes Nov 28, 2011

Hi,

Same with me, Laptop (new one), 8 GB RAM; 1 TB Hard disk, all relevant updates installed. First of all, receiving the message "Trados to be closed, not working". Contacted support. Support was fast and attentive and after answering some questionsand sending the Windows Log files (there was no Trados-relevant Error Log-file), support vanished - not even leaving white/black smoke behind;-)

Interestingly, I found "some kind" of answer, so thanks God don't need a support. After a few crashes I was aksed if I want to save "file..."as Normal.dot.

If I said No, then Trados crashed, confirming to save: it doesn't.

Ergo: it got something to do with Word, however, I don't know what and since Trados is working now flawlessly, I don't go into depth.

By the way: Word still working;-)

rnunner
Spain
German to Spanish
+ ...
Studio 2011 crashes a lot Nov 30, 2011

[quote]Jerzy Czopik wrote:

You have no major problems?

My Studio 2011 crashes several times a day. Just for saving a file!
Right now it has crashed when I tried to open a memory file.

Error message: Unknown exception.

- Unknown exception. - System.Runtime.InteropServices.COMException, mscorlib, Version=2.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089 -2146959355 WinMgmt -
c__DisplayClass2.b__0() at Sdl.Desktop.Platform.Implementation.Services.Log.Resources(Object message, Action action) at Sdl.Desktop.Platform.Implementation.CommandBars.ActionService.ExecuteAction(IAction action, ActionOrigin origin, Boolean allowToggle) at Sdl.Desktop.Platform.WinForms.IgCommandBarAction.Execute() at Sdl.Desktop.Platform.WinForms.IgCommandBarAction._lazyButtonTool_ToolClick(Object sender, ToolClickEventArgs e) at Infragistics.Win.UltraWinToolbars.ToolBase.OnToolClick(ToolClickEventArgs e) at Infragistics.Win.UltraWinToolbars.UltraToolbarsManager.OnToolClick(ToolClickEventArgs e) at Infragistics.Win.UltraWinToolbars.UltraToolbarsManager.FireEvent(ToolbarEventIds id, EventArgs e) at Infragistics.Win.UltraWinToolbars.ToolBase.OnToolClick() at Infragistics.Win.UltraWinToolbars.ButtonToolUIElement.DoClickProcessing(MouseEventArgs e) at Infragistics.Win.UltraWinToolbars.ButtonToolUIElement.OnMouseUp(MouseEventArgs e) at Infragistics.Win.ControlUIElementBase.ProcessMouseUpHelper(Object sender, MouseEventArgs e) at Infragistics.Win.ControlUIElementBase.ProcessMouseUp(Object sender, MouseEventArgs e) at Infragistics.Win.Utilities.ProcessEvent(Control control, ProcessEvent eventToProcess, EventArgs e) at Infragistics.Win.UltraControlBase.OnMouseUp(MouseEventArgs e) at Infragistics.Win.UltraWinToolbars.UltraToolbarsDockArea.OnMouseUp(MouseEventArgs e) at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WmMouseUp(Message& m, MouseButtons button, Int32 clicks) at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc(Message& m) at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.OnMessage(Message& m) at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.WndProc(Message& m) at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)]]>
- SDL Trados Studio 10.0.0.0 10.0.2692.0 Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate Service Pack 1 3082 1252

It is really disgusting!

WillJohnson  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 16:32
Member (2008)
English to Dutch
+ ...
I have the same problem, cannot even work in it at all Dec 4, 2011

Rosa Grau wrote:

Trados Studio 2011 tends to crash 2-3 times at the beginning of each working session, when opening the first file. Is it warming up? Has anybody else had this problem?

Ulf Samuelsson  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 15:32
Member (2007)
English to Swedish
+ ...
Normal.dot problem Dec 5, 2011

christenino wrote:

Interestingly, I found "some kind" of answer, so thanks God don't need a support. After a few crashes I was aksed if I want to save "file..."as Normal.dot.

If I said No, then Trados crashed, confirming to save: it doesn't.

Yes, I've had the same problem with repetitive crashes while working on Word files. I keep getting a message saying that there was a problem with Normal.dot and Studio will close, and I get asked if I want to save Normal.dot, though neither Yes or No to this question have handled the problem. In an hour or two it pops up again saying that there is a problem with Normal.dot, and I have to close the dialogs and restart Studio again.

I've tried to save Normal.dot when asked, but it didn't help, and I've tried to delete Normal.dot and create a fresh one, but it hasn't helped either.

(I use Studio 2011 and Office 2010 on Win 7)

rnunner
Spain
German to Spanish
+ ...
How can you open a file "fast"? Dec 7, 2011

Jerzy Czopik wrote:

This is magic... I would very much like to open files fast, but somehow I am unable too.

Well, I do know how to save a file fast or slow. If I press 'Ctrl+S' fast, Trados Studio 2011 will freeze for five minutes with an error message or crash directly. If I press first 'Ctrl' and hold the key for 1-2 seconds and then press 'S', Trados does not crash nor freeze.

Reason: unknown. Sounds stupid (or funny) but it is what happens in my case.

Another stupid think: Sometimes after crashing I get the message that the file I am working with is corrupt. I must delete the file in the target language folder and prepare the corresponding file in the source language folder again for translation. Oh, yes, but if I do that this file will not be included in the return package!!

Another problem with Studios: it interferes with Unilex.

I had to struggle for months with Studio 2010 until SDL was able to fix all the many bugs, and it seems that it will happen the same with 2011.

José Alberto Ruiz Pérez  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2008)
English to Spanish
+ ...
My Trados Studio 2011 crashes from time to time Dec 14, 2011

For no reason!

Right now I can't even work at all. I'm trying to reboot my computer several times, wait for a while before opening a file as suggested...

This is not a stable version at all. We need a solid patch urgently to fix this.

Jonathan Hopkins  Identity Verified
Germany
German to English
+ ...
Roughly 5x per day on average Dec 15, 2011

In our translation department we have 16 translators and Studio crashes on a regular basis for everyone, but it differs from user to user or computer to computer. I'd say on average it crashes 5 times a day. There are various "reasons" for the crash though. Some times we get the message that an error occurred while trying to detect the file type and then there's nothing you can do but end Studio.exe via task manager, since clicking on anything just reproduces the error message. Sometimes we get the ever common "Object reference not set to an instance of an object", and the file is highlighted blue, but you can't see the actual file, just where the file is supposed to be, and every time you move the cursor over the highlighted blue "space" it just reproduces the same error. Or sometimes Studio just vanishes when trying to "prepare" a text or open a text for translation. etc. etc. etc.

They are rather annoying, but thankfully usually fixed quickly enough. Sometimes by just shutting Studio down and starting it up again. Or sometimes we have to go to the trouble of deleting all the settings files before restarting. (I try to keep a back up of my UserSettings, so that I don't have to readjust all my settings each time)

And today, I wanted to log a support case, but the portal is somewho not working properly. So I sent an e-mail directly to support@sdl.com, but I have yet to receive a response.

However, having said all that, I still prefer to use Studio than Star Transit. I just wish they'd sort out all the annoying bugs.

Cheers,
Jonathan

Pavel Tsvetkov  Identity Verified
Bulgaria
Member (2008)
English to Bulgarian
+ ...

Not again! Dec 15, 2011

I am very sorry to hear about these problems! As always when the new version was released, certain people started posting very positive reviews of it on this forum (the same people that always do it) and according to them v2011 was a gem.

Even Paul from SDL who I trust and respect advised me to upgrade, as filters, etc. have been updated and worked fine. Read more here: http://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/204928-studio_2009_bugs_that_were_never_fixed.html

Finally, after considerable soul searching I decided to upgrade today. And now I come across this thread!

Pages in topic:   [1 2 3] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Trados Studio 2011 crashes

Advanced search

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search