Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Trados Studio 2011, is it worth it upgrading?
Thread poster: Helena Grahn
Helena Grahn
Helena Grahn  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 11:57
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Nov 29, 2011

My Trados Studio 2009 is not working at all specially after Google cannot be inserted as a memory anymore. Moreover I cannot save the file as target anymore. I wonder if everytime SDL launches a new version that is what happens to compel you to buy the newer one>

They are offering me now 2011 with 30% discount if I buy it today. Even so I find it expensive and moreover SDL does not do anything without charging their customers. If you need any help when the software has a prob, they
... See more
My Trados Studio 2009 is not working at all specially after Google cannot be inserted as a memory anymore. Moreover I cannot save the file as target anymore. I wonder if everytime SDL launches a new version that is what happens to compel you to buy the newer one>

They are offering me now 2011 with 30% discount if I buy it today. Even so I find it expensive and moreover SDL does not do anything without charging their customers. If you need any help when the software has a prob, they tell you to buy their PSM which is also quite expensive. I can hardly afford a new version, let alone their support.

What are yr comments? Do you experience the same?

[Edited at 2011-11-29 12:00 GMT]
Collapse

Erik Freitag
Erik Freitag  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 12:57
Member (2006)
Dutch to German
+ ...
For you, it probably isn't Nov 29, 2011

Dear Helena,

Helena Grahn wrote:

My Trados Studio 2009 is not working at all specially after Google cannot be inserted as a memory anymore. Moreover I cannot save the file as target anymore.

I doubt that the problems you describe will be solved by upgrading. AFAIK, Google have discontinued their offer, that's the same in 2011. Even though in my experience 2011 is more stable than 2009, a lot of the bugs that 2009 had haven't been dealt with.

If money is your major concern, I think that you had better spend it for a support contract rather than an upgrade. Support staff are really helpful and knowledgeable.

[Bearbeitet am 2011-11-29 12:31 GMT]

[Bearbeitet am 2011-11-29 12:31 GMT]

Emma Goldsmith
Emma Goldsmith  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2004)
Spanish to English
Solutions to problems Nov 29, 2011

Helena Grahn wrote:
If you need any help when the software has a prob, they tell you to buy their PSM which is also quite expensive.

In my experience if the software has a problem (i.e. a bug), SDL is very willing to look into it. If the problem is not a bug (i.e. a damaged source file, lost target path, missing tags in the target segments) then I think it is reasonable to have to pay for PSM support.

The other option you have is to open a new thread on the specific problem you have and see if anyone has a suggestion.

Re: upgrading to 2011. I like the new features of Studio 2011 and IMO it is worth upgrading.

Nicolas Coyer (X)
Nicolas Coyer (X)  Identity Verified
Colombia
Local time: 06:57
Spanish to French
+ ...
not worth it Nov 29, 2011

In my opinion, while SDL support has clearly improved, the upgrade is not worth it.
I still feel SDL is unduly making money by fixing its products through upgrades rather than adding many useful stuff that would justify the price (I am talking about 2011; 2009 was clearly a big leap). I upgraded in September and then returned the product.
I also feel their offer varies too much. First, they remove old bilingual support from the Suite, then put it back, but you have to pay for it thro
... See more
In my opinion, while SDL support has clearly improved, the upgrade is not worth it.
I still feel SDL is unduly making money by fixing its products through upgrades rather than adding many useful stuff that would justify the price (I am talking about 2011; 2009 was clearly a big leap). I upgraded in September and then returned the product.
I also feel their offer varies too much. First, they remove old bilingual support from the Suite, then put it back, but you have to pay for it through an upgrade. If they had done their homework for 2009, they would have known most translators and outsourcers still work with Word bilingual files/2007, and that it is a pain in the neck to work in two tools when you receive files under different formats for one project. Also, I had to pay extra for the Auto-Suggest feature, whereas now it is included.
The terminology extraction is free with other products. With SDL, you pay an additional $500.
I think there are now some very good alternatives at reasonable prices.

My two cents,
Nicolas

[Modifié le 2011-11-29 15:42 GMT]
Collapse

Harmen Rijks
Harmen Rijks  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2004)
English to Dutch
Worth it Dec 8, 2011

I have had a PSMA with (now) SDL since I started using Trados and SDL many years ago and can only say that the upgrade to 2011 is worth it. When you have a service & maintenance contract with them, any upgrade or new version comes included. The PSMA is worth it just for that. The PSMA cost currently stands at £159 or £199, depending on the support level required. I have earned the initial cost and all the following PSMA's back in no time. It has been a worthwhile investment, even though the so... See more
I have had a PSMA with (now) SDL since I started using Trados and SDL many years ago and can only say that the upgrade to 2011 is worth it. When you have a service & maintenance contract with them, any upgrade or new version comes included. The PSMA is worth it just for that. The PSMA cost currently stands at £159 or £199, depending on the support level required. I have earned the initial cost and all the following PSMA's back in no time. It has been a worthwhile investment, even though the software can be extremely confusing, daunting, etc. It simply does way more than I need. They should take a leaf out of Apple's (interface) book and simplify the user experience.

As for Google Translate, you need to log into your Google account (or create one), enable the Google Translate API, create an API key and copy that into Trados. Google will charge you $20 for 1 million words used, so not really a cost issue there.
Collapse

Jonathan Hopkins
Jonathan Hopkins  Identity Verified
Germany
German to English
+ ...
Depends. Dec 8, 2011

But I'd agree with Erik on this and recommend that you do not upgrade from 2009 to 2011. Especially for the reasons that you've stated.

I use version 2011 at my day job and 2009 at home as a freelancer and there simply aren't enough real advantages or benefits for me to upgrade. In the end, I'll likely upgrade the next time around and will likely only save 100–200 euros since the upgrade from 2009 to 2014(?) will be steeper than 2011 to 2014 or 2009 to 2011, but for me the added f
... See more
But I'd agree with Erik on this and recommend that you do not upgrade from 2009 to 2011. Especially for the reasons that you've stated.

I use version 2011 at my day job and 2009 at home as a freelancer and there simply aren't enough real advantages or benefits for me to upgrade. In the end, I'll likely upgrade the next time around and will likely only save 100–200 euros since the upgrade from 2009 to 2014(?) will be steeper than 2011 to 2014 or 2009 to 2011, but for me the added filter benefits and other features that have been added just don't justify the cost.

Now, I can imagine that for some, the added filters and features will be enough to justify the upgrade, though I suspect that the majority of people who are upgrading, are either upgrading simply because they always just purchase the PSMA each year and help finance the development, or have earlier legacy versions which will at some point no longer be supported.

And I'm still waiting for some other, in my opinion, much more essential upgrades to the software, which I hope will be implemented in a near future release (ability to edit source segments, better fuzzy search algorithm, better handling of showing changes in the Translation Results Window, improved interoperability between Studio and MultiTerm, better support and functionality for importing and exporting different termbases etc.).

Cheers,
Jonathan
Collapse

Ulf Samuelsson
Ulf Samuelsson  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 05:57
Member (2007)
English to Swedish
+ ...
Save as target problem has been handled Dec 9, 2011

I had a big problem with not being able to save a finished translation, and the upgrade did handle that problem, at least.

For me, it was sufficient reason to upgrade, though I think that it should have been handled by an update to the 2009 version rather than having to buy the program again in order to handle something that should have been working in the original version.

However, I didn't have time to wait for a patched version or 48-72 hours for some answer from s
... See more
I had a big problem with not being able to save a finished translation, and the upgrade did handle that problem, at least.

For me, it was sufficient reason to upgrade, though I think that it should have been handled by an update to the 2009 version rather than having to buy the program again in order to handle something that should have been working in the original version.

However, I didn't have time to wait for a patched version or 48-72 hours for some answer from support that might not even handle the problem.

Not a very user-friendly company ...
Collapse

Helena Grahn
United Kingdom
English to Portuguese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
New email from sdl Dec 9, 2011

You cannot buy their PSMA if you do not have Trados Studio version 2011. I am calling SDL a nazi company, hungry for money and not giving a shite about their customers.

Jonathan Hopkins
Germany
German to English
+ ...
Do you get 1 year support with your upgrade to 2011? Dec 9, 2011

Helena Grahn wrote:

You cannot buy their PSMA if you do not have Trados Studio version 2011. ...

I guess that wouldn't be so bad, as long as you get the support at the cost of the upgrade. Is that the case? Or would you have to purchase the upgrade and then shell out another 200 euros/dollars roughly for the support? If the former is the case, then the cost of the upgrade is more or less the same as the support anyhow. If the latter is the case, that is rather unfortunate.

Cheers,
Jonathan

Jeff Whittaker
Jeff Whittaker  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 07:57
Member (2002)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Correction Dec 9, 2011

It's $20.00 for one million "characters", not words. This is about 180,000 words (provided you turn off GT when reviewing so you do not get double charged.)

HarmenR wrote:

As for Google Translate, you need to log into your Google account (or create one), enable the Google Translate API, create an API key and copy that into Trados. Google will charge you $20 for 1 million words used, so not really a cost issue there.

[Edited at 2011-12-09 18:14 GMT]

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
English
Maybe use the new OX App instead? Dec 9, 2011

Jeff Whittaker wrote:
It's $20.00 for one million "characters", not words. This is about 180,000 words (provided you turn off GT when reviewing so you do not get double charged.)

Hi Jeff.

If you install and use the OX Application Patrick Porter developed instead then you only parse segments with non-translated statuses and will avoid the additional costs.

http://www.sdl.com/en/language-technology/sdl-openexchange/AppDetails.aspx?appid=155

It's got a couple of other neat features too.

Regards

Paul

Chunyi Chen
Chunyi Chen
United States
Local time: 04:57
English to Chinese
Somehow I have a feeling that it's the latter... Dec 9, 2011

Otherwise Helena wouldn't be so upset.
I wouldn't call them a nazi company, but they do have a way of driving their customers away.

Chun-yi

Jonathan Hopkins wrote:

Helena Grahn wrote:

You cannot buy their PSMA if you do not have Trados Studio version 2011. ...

I guess that wouldn't be so bad, as long as you get the support at the cost of the upgrade. Is that the case? Or would you have to purchase the upgrade and then shell out another 200 euros/dollars roughly for the support? If the former is the case, then the cost of the upgrade is more or less the same as the support anyhow. If the latter is the case, that is rather unfortunate.

Cheers,
Jonathan

Helena Grahn
United Kingdom
English to Portuguese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
here is the email... try to understand it yr way... I see it as plain robbery Dec 9, 2011

Hello!

Thank you for contacting SDL regarding your question below.

It is impossible to purchase a PSMA without having the most recent version of the software, which is now SDL Trados Studio 2011.

For today only, you can buy SDL Trados Studio 2011 Freelance with
... See more
Hello!

Thank you for contacting SDL regarding your question below.

It is impossible to purchase a PSMA without having the most recent version of the software, which is now SDL Trados Studio 2011.

For today only, you can buy SDL Trados Studio 2011 Freelance with a 25-30% discount via the following link: http://oos.sdl.com/asp/products/promotion.aspx?PromotionCode=cyber-monday-gb .

If you purchase via this link, I will be able to offer you my direct assistance for the installation of your new licenses.

You can purchase a PSMA with the upgrade or at a later date.

======================================================================

Now the offer is not valid anymore. It was just until the last day of November. Note how generous they are when saying they will help you install the software if you buy it on htat specific date. I though that would be something they should do anyway.
Collapse

Sarah Bouachacha
Sarah Bouachacha  Identity Verified
France
English to French
+ ...
not worth at all Dec 9, 2011

Helena Grahn wrote:

They are offering me now 2011 with 30% discount if I buy it today. Even so I find it expensive and moreover SDL does not do anything without charging their customers. If you need any help when the software has a prob, they tell you to buy their PSM which is also quite expensive. I can hardly afford a new version, let alone their support.

What are yr comments? Do you experience the same?

[Edited at 2011-11-29 12:00 GMT]

Hello Helena,

you have all my compassion, I can understand your frustruation, if I were you, I would neither upgrade, nor pay for an expensive support, which you will probably not use so often as you think.
Just try to solve your problem with the knowlegde base, maybe first, by removing and installing again.

I agree with Emma and Nicolas, I have two licence 2007 and 2009 but that's enough. I am about writing back to the SDL marketing team : I've just got a suggestion for an update.

It costs you time, but if it really does not work at all, what about trying other Brandmark, as far as, I know there are a lot of CAT tool providers, invest in another CAT tool instead.

Jonathan Hopkins
Germany
German to English
+ ...
If you require support there are other tools that offer this for free Dec 9, 2011

Hi Helena,

That is most unfortunate. I guess my suggestion would be to either just rely on this forum and the knowledge base for support, or look into memoQ or Dejavu, Both of those tools offer you free support. I don't remember what the price range is for Dajavu, but you can usually get memoQ for significantly less money than Studio via a proz group buy or some other promotion.

I've tested memoQ quite thoroughly this year, and I was very pleased with just about everyth
... See more
Hi Helena,

That is most unfortunate. I guess my suggestion would be to either just rely on this forum and the knowledge base for support, or look into memoQ or Dejavu, Both of those tools offer you free support. I don't remember what the price range is for Dajavu, but you can usually get memoQ for significantly less money than Studio via a proz group buy or some other promotion.

I've tested memoQ quite thoroughly this year, and I was very pleased with just about everything. It's definitely a great alternative and I've even been able to use it to solve compatibility issues between SDL products and Transit products. memoQ was able to import an exported TermStar database and export an xml file 100% compatible with MultiTerm which was easily imported into MulitTerm without any hiccups. That's something that not even SDL's own MultiTerm Convert was able to achieve, and the SDL support staff have still not been able to offer a solution for the several problems that arose weeks after I logged a high-priority support case with SDL support.

And as far as PSMA is concerned, from my experience, I always find a solution faster than one is offered to me by the support staff—either on my own, or with the help of the kind colleagues here on this forum (inluding SDL's best employee Paul Filkin).

So don't fret about the support. There are other ways to get the help you need.

Good luck,
Jonathan
Collapse

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Trados Studio 2011, is it worth it upgrading?

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »