Why doesn't the Word-document open up as .sdlxliff when opened in Studio 2011?
Thread poster: Fredrik Pettersson

Fredrik Pettersson  Identity Verified
Hong Kong
Member (2009)
English to Swedish
+ ...
Dec 2, 2011

I have a project that I always use for the same customer, just add files to it when I get new jobs.

Now when I first opened this project and switched to Files view to add new files there, after having done so and double-clicked on the Word-document in SDL Trados Studio 2011, the actual Word-document opens up in the Word-application itself (not inside Studio).

When I added the new Word-document, I switched to source language (otherwise, it's not possible to add new files to an existing project).

Is there any step I miss here? Why doesn't the Word-document opens as .sdlxliff automatically, as it usually does?

Direct link Reply with quote

Natalie  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 16:16
Member (2002)
English to Russian
+ ...

Moderator of this forum
"Opening" and "adding" are different options Dec 2, 2011

By opening a document you actually create a new project...
Haven't you noticed that an .sdlproj file is created each time when you "open a file"?

[Edited at 2011-12-02 16:07 GMT]

Hong Kong
Member (2009)
English to Swedish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
There is a .sdlproj file that I open and add the new file to, but .sdlxliff doesn't open Dec 3, 2011

Hi Natalie,

There is a .sdlproj file that I open and add the new file to, but .sdlxliff still doesn't open. So even though I open the project file, switch to view Files, change to source language so I can add files to current project, still when I double-click on the new added file for that project only the actual Word-document opens up in the Word-application outside of Studio. Usually, I get the .sdlxliff file opened up at this point.

Natalie  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 16:16
Member (2002)
English to Russian
+ ...

Moderator of this forum
Hi Fredrik Dec 3, 2011

While adding a new file to the existing project you need to switch to the source language folder.
But the file you will be working with will be found in the target language folder.

Here are the steps:

1) Right click the added file in the source folder
2) Choose Batch tasks - Prepare.
3) When finished, switch to the target folder, doubleclick the necessary file and start working.

Hong Kong
Member (2009)
English to Swedish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Yes, that worked! Dec 3, 2011

Thanks very much Natalie! It worked perfect to do as you suggested. This is what is done during creation of a project, so then I have do it each time when adding a file also. Understand the process now.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Advanced search

memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »
LSP.expert
You’re a freelance translator? LSP.expert helps you manage your daily translation jobs. It’s easy, fast and secure.

How about you start tracking translation jobs and sending invoices in minutes? You can also manage your clients and generate reports about your business activities. So you always keep a clear view on your planning, AND you get a free 30 day trial period!

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search