SDL 2011 + Dragon NaturallySpeaking: min RAM, processor?
Thread poster: Bill Etheridge
Bill Etheridge
Czech Republic
Local time: 21:57
Spanish to English
+ ...
Dec 5, 2011

I'm about to do a complete overhaul of my system by buying a new laptop (preferably) and SDL Studio 2011. I already have Dragon NaturallySpeaking 11. I'm aware of the minimum system requirements stated by the software vendors, but I just wanted to get some input before spending any money.

After searching on some forums, it seems that on 64-bit Windows 7, Dragon will run best with at least 8 GB of RAM, 6 MB of L3 cache and an Intel i5 or i7 processor. However, this only pertains to Dragon. I understand that SDL 2011 is also quite resource intensive.

It's no problem finding a laptop with those specs. My question is whether that's going to be sufficient to run SDL at the same time without experiencing delays in how either SDL or Dragon runs. Many thanks for any pointers

Direct link Reply with quote

Bill Etheridge
Czech Republic
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
SDL Studio 2011 Dec 8, 2011

Bump for this one.

Jonathan Hopkins  Identity Verified
Germany
German to English
+ ...
How much more processor power and RAM could you possibly buy? Dec 8, 2011

Bill Etheridge wrote:

After searching on some forums, it seems that on 64-bit Windows 7, Dragon will run best with at least 8 GB of RAM, 6 MB of L3 cache and an Intel i5 or i7 processor. However, this only pertains to Dragon. I understand that SDL 2011 is also quite resource intensive.

It's no problem finding a laptop with those specs. My question is whether that's going to be sufficient to run SDL at the same time without experiencing delays in how either SDL or Dragon runs. Many thanks for any pointers

Well, I would hope that that would be enough. After all, unless you're willing to invest in a really expensive business Workstation or Server, I wouldn't know of any PC on today's market that could provide even more power than a 2nd generation Intel Core i7 with 8 GB of the latest DDR4 RAM on a 64-bit system.

If that's not enough for the software, I'd think there's something wrong with the software.

Having said that, I'm sure that you're bound to have moments where Studio hogs too much resources, but that's nothing that a good old fashioned restart can't fix (usually)

Cheers,
Jonathan

P.S. Studio 2011 runs fine on this machine: 32-bit W7 with Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 @ 3.00 GHz x2 with 4 GB RAM (3 GB usable); and Studio 2009 works just fine on 64-bit W7 with 1st gen. Intel quad-core i7 1.6 GHz (Turbo 2.8 GHz) and 4 GB DDR3 RAM

Bill Etheridge
Czech Republic
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Dec 12, 2011

Thanks for the confirmation

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

SDL 2011 + Dragon NaturallySpeaking: min RAM, processor?

Advanced search

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search