How do I save a tab-delimited .txt file to original file format?
Thread poster: Fredrik Pettersson

Fredrik Pettersson  Identity Verified
Hong Kong
Member (2009)
English to Swedish
+ ...
Dec 5, 2011

I have two large tab-delimited .txt files on 50,000 words each (a Chinese-English dictionary) which I have added to a project and opened one of the two translation prepared .sdlxliff files for translating from Chinese to Swedish (by overwriting the current English translations).

When I have finished translating everything, how do I save these two tab-delimited .txt files to their original file format (.txt)? Now, I can only "Save all" (.sdlxliff) or "Save Target As ..." (.txt but only with target language, this is a dictionary and I need to keep the two columns with source words and target words in the finished translated file).

I need to try this now so it works before I begin translating everything, so that I can be certain I can output the translated dictionary with both source language words (Chinese) and target language words (Swedish).

The files now in zh-CN (source language folder) are the original .txt files and the .sdlxliff files.

[Edited at 2011-12-05 12:54 GMT]

Direct link Reply with quote

FarkasAndras
Local time: 23:59
English to Hungarian
+ ...
What did you do? Dec 5, 2011

First of all, how did you add the txt files? As plain txt text files or as bilingual txt (this is selectable in the drop-down menu)?
Then how did you translate? Did your source text (as displayed by Trados) contain both Zh and En, or just En? How did you translate? Copy source to targe and leave the Zh in and add the En to it? Did you try the "Save target as" option and see what the output file looks like?

Until you tell us what you actually did, nobody can tell you if you're on the right track.

I think the best option is probably to add the file as a tab delimited text file (this might well be selected for you automatically if you just add it blindly). Then the Zh text will be shown as source, and English as the target, already filled in for you. You just overwrite the En text, and when you export, all will be well. To avoid encoding problems, you should probably use a UTF-8 file with a BOM.
Alternatively, you can open the file as a "normal" (non-tab delimited) txt. Then you'd either have to copy the source segment to the target and overwrite the En column in each segment, while taking care not to delete the tab accidentally, or do some variety of a "chop up and reconstruct" procedure. It's fairly easy to piece together a tabbed txt from two single-column files using Excel, for instance.

Fredrik Pettersson  Identity Verified
Hong Kong
Member (2009)
English to Swedish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
No problems at all to save it as original file format Dec 5, 2011

I saved it as original file format and the translation was there when I opened in sv-SE folder, in two columns (Chinese-Swedish), with a double-column in the left column for traditional and simplified Chinese. And the columns in perfect order too.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How do I save a tab-delimited .txt file to original file format?

Advanced search

LSP.expert
You’re a freelance translator? LSP.expert helps you manage your daily translation jobs. It’s easy, fast and secure.

How about you start tracking translation jobs and sending invoices in minutes? You can also manage your clients and generate reports about your business activities. So you always keep a clear view on your planning, AND you get a free 30 day trial period!

More info »
PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search