How can I do a precise search in SDL MultiTerm 2011 for Chinese words?
Thread poster: Fredrik Pettersson

Fredrik Pettersson  Identity Verified
Hong Kong
Member (2009)
English to Swedish
+ ...
Dec 5, 2011

How can I do a precise search in SDL MultiTerm 2011 so that only word "xxx xxx" is displayed in the termbase hitlist? And not "xxx yyy" or "yyy xxx"?

The termbase is a bilingual Chinese-Swedish termbase (simplified Chinese characters, no pinyin, and Swedish letters). What happens now when I search on a Chinese word (which often consist of two Chinese characters, like 哨子 which means "a whistle") in this Chinese-Swedish termbase is that the hitlist is very long, and displays results that contain either of the two Chinese characters: "x哨" or "x子" or "哨x" or "子x".

I want to have only exact match from the termbase displayed: "哨子". Or minimum exact match plus more characters: "哨子x".

Another example: "外来人" (foreigner) gives a lot of hits in the termbase: "外国人", "外人的", "外", "外国", "国外", etc.

This is an intrinsic characteristic of the Chinese language: the morphosyntax and being able to form almost an unlimited number of combinations of the characters. But it makes it difficult in this particular circumstance, because I get so many hits in the termbase for each search I do. So I wonder how I can narrow the searches to only display Minimum exact match plus more characters?

I checked more closer now and the hitlist is completely wrong: It even displays hits for Chinese words that are not composed of any of the two Chinese characters I entered in the search field.

[Edited at 2011-12-05 17:47 GMT]

Direct link Reply with quote

Katalin Horváth McClure  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 06:20
Member (2002)
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Unicode problem? Dec 6, 2011

This sounds like the problems I was having years ago with Multiterm, when it just did not want to work for Japanese terms. The search did not work, but I also had display problems.
It wasn't Studio, it was an older version.
If I remember correctly, the problem was that the system locale had to be set to Japanese, in other words, there was a system setting that specified what encoding should be used by any software that lacked full Unicode support.

I don't know what OS you have, I have Windows 7 on this computer, and here is the Help entry for that. In case your locale is not set to Chinese, you can try and see if that helps:
Change the system locale

The system locale determines the default character set (letters, symbols, and numbers) and font used to enter and display information in programs that don't use Unicode. This allows non-Unicode programs to run on your computer using the specified language. You might need to change the default system locale when you install additional display languages on your computer. Selecting a different language for the system locale doesn't affect the language in menus and dialog boxes for Windows or other programs that do use Unicode.

Click to open Region and Language.

Click the Administrative tab, and then, under Language for non-Unicode programs, click Change system locale. If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.

Select the language, and then click OK.

To restart your computer, click Restart now.

You may want to give it a try. I cannot guarantee that this would work, I gave up years ago on using Multiterm, and haven't checked recently whether this is still a problem.
Also, search the SDL knowledgebase, you may find help there.
Katalin

[Edited at 2011-12-06 05:36 GMT]

Direct link Reply with quote

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How can I do a precise search in SDL MultiTerm 2011 for Chinese words?

Advanced search

WordFinder
The words you want Anywhere, Anytime

WordFinder is the market's fastest and easiest way of finding the right word, term, translation or synonym in one or more dictionaries. In our assortment you can choose among more than 120 dictionaries in 15 languages from leading publishers.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search