Winalign Trados 2007 - Export - Import Trados Studio 2009
Thread poster: Annett Hieber

Annett Hieber  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 18:36
English to German
Dec 5, 2011

Good evening,

I'm just trying to align some documents (Word 2003) in order to import them into my TM in Studio 2009. However, it appears I'm doing something wrong - because it doesn't work and I don't find the answer...

Procedure:
At first I align the texts (there are 4 text pairs), then I click on file -> export, this seems to work, the texts are exportet (I think as ttx-files?). However, when I then open SDL Studio 2009, open the corresponding TM and try to import the files, they cannot be found. I know its the wrong file type that's the problem here, but the file type is pre-defined when exporting.

Can anybody help me out here?

Thanks a lot.

Annett

Direct link Reply with quote

Bernard Lieber  Identity Verified
English to French
+ ...
Try the following Dec 5, 2011

Hi Annett,

As far as I know, you can directly import ttx files into Studio 2009, i.e. Open Studio 2009, select Translation Memories, create a new TM -> Import and select ttx in the dropdown list

HTH,

Bernard

Roy OConnor
Member (2009)
German to English
Export as TMX Dec 5, 2011

Make sure that TMX is selected in the export tab. Then you should have no problem importing into Studio.

BTW, have you committed all or the appropriate segments in your files? AFAIK, only committed segments are exported.

Roy

Annett Hieber  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Bernard and Roy Dec 5, 2011

I will try that. But what do you mean with "committed segments", the "confirmed segments"?

Annett

Roy OConnor
Member (2009)
German to English
Committing units (segments) Dec 5, 2011

Hi, Annett,

In my English version of WinAlign you "commit" units or segments that match up, i.e. the dotted lines between the source and target units become solid lines. You can accept what the alignment offers with "Commit all units" or carry it out manually which is a bit tedious, but more accurate. Often WinAlign does not realise that you have merged two source sentences to one target sentence. It all depends on the segmentation rules.

Once you have committed the units , you can export the file. I always use TMX for import. When importing you might find it useful to apply the field values using Edit in the import screen sequence.

If you are importing to an established TM, you should export it before importing the new aligned translations. Just in case something goes wrong and you spoil your TM.

Rgds,
Roy

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Winalign Trados 2007 - Export - Import Trados Studio 2009

Advanced search

LSP.expert
You’re a freelance translator? LSP.expert helps you manage your daily translation jobs. It’s easy, fast and secure.

How about you start tracking translation jobs and sending invoices in minutes? You can also manage your clients and generate reports about your business activities. So you always keep a clear view on your planning, AND you get a free 30 day trial period!

More info »
WordFinder
The words you want Anywhere, Anytime

WordFinder is the market's fastest and easiest way of finding the right word, term, translation or synonym in one or more dictionaries. In our assortment you can choose among more than 120 dictionaries in 15 languages from leading publishers.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search