Studio 2011 and MultiTerm 2011 -- Run as administrator
Thread poster: Hal D'Arpini

Hal D'Arpini  Identity Verified
Local time: 22:32
French to English
+ ...
Dec 7, 2011

I initially started this post to ask for help, but eventually I solved my own issue, so I'm passing along the solution for those who might come across the same problem.

I just installed 2007 Suite, Studio 2011, and MultiTerm 2011, in that order, on my Windows 7 64-bit laptop. The installations were all error-free. I launched 2007 Suite okay, but I had a problem with Studio 2011 and MultiTerm 2011. When I tried to launch either, the initial splash screen seemed to launch okay, but when the activation screen started to come up, it only got so far and then disappeared after a second or so.

For some reason, I got the bright idea to right-click on one of the shortcuts and do a "Run as administrator." That did the trick for both programs. The Windows "User Account Control" box popped up (it hadn't before) and when I clicked yes, the program launched normally.

Not wanting to have to go through this every time I launched Studio 2011 or MultiTerm 2011, I got a second bright idea to right-click on a shortcut again and bring up the Properties box. I poked around a bit and on the Compatibility tab, I found the "Run this program as an administrator" checkbox. I checked it, hit OK, and tried launching the program again, without first choosing "Run as administrator." It worked, and now both programs launch normally.

This seems to have fixed the issue, but the strange thing is that when I went back and checked the 2007 Suite shortcut, the "Run this program as an administrator" checkbox wasn't checked. I'd expected that it would be, since it had launched normally before. Is it because 2007 Suite doesn't require admin rights to run? If anyone has an explanation for that discrepency, I'd like to know.

SBtranslations  Identity Verified
France
English to French
+ ...
Welcome in the club ! Dec 7, 2011

The problem is not the way you run it (administrator) but the system under which you run it: the SDL Trados 2007 does not run with the 64bit system and you can get this piece of information in SDL support. That why you have this kind of trouble, since a couple of days I have tried in vain to resolve the problem, I cannot run MultiTerm Extract and MultiTerm (included Phrase Finder under SDL trados suite 2007 because of this reason (SDL Trados runs only with 32 bit system) and unless you let SDL TRados 2007 running under XP, which uses 32 bit system.

And since the release of SDL trados 2011, I have a further problem with SDL Trados 2009 : I cannot use MultiTerm properly because SDL trados and MultiTerm use separate installers.

But may be you should contact the support directly techcomms@sdl.com

kind regards

[Modifié le 2011-12-07 11:54 GMT]

Gyula Erdész
Hungary
Member (2005)
English to Hungarian
+ ...
SDL Trados 2011 does run under Win 7 64 bit Dec 7, 2011

SBtranslations wrote:

The problem is not the way you run it (administrator) but the system under which you run it: the SDL Trados 2007 does not run with the 64bit system.

Athough I have never tested Trados 2007 under a 64 bit OS, I certainy know that SDL Trados Studio 2011 / Multiterm 2011 runs under Win 7 64 bit without any problem. So the solution of Hal's problem is somewhere else...

Kind regards,

Gyula

French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Dec 7, 2011

Thanks for your responses.

Athough I have never tested rados 2007 under a 64 bit OS, I certainy know that SDL Trados Studio 2011 / Multiterm 2011 runs under Win 7 64 bit without any problem. So the solution of Hal's problem is somewhere else...

2007 works fine (see below). I've solved my problem and all three softwares launch normally now. I was just sharing the solution for users who may have this same problem in the future.

The problem is not the way you run it (administrator) but the system under which you run it: the SDL Trados 2007 does not run with the 64bit system and you can get this piece of information in SDL support.

2007 Suite runs fine on my 64-bit system (at least it launches fine -- I haven't had a chance to really use it yet). I verified this before I purchased it. You need to be running at least Build 863. It was Studio 2011 and MultiTerm 2011 that were the issue.

And since the release of SDL trados 2011, I have a further problem with SDL Trados 2009 : I cannot use MultiTerm properly because SDL trados and MultiTerm use separate installers.

Before I started my installs, I read in the Knowledge Base that you need to install MultiTerm after you install Trados. But I'm sure if you ask that separate question here, someone will advise you.

Jehanne Henin  Identity Verified
Belgium
English to French
+ ...
Thank you! Feb 10, 2012

I just wanted to thank you, Hal, you have just saved my day!
My problem was that I was not able to add new terms in my database anymore, neither in Studio nor in Multiterm (the box was completely blank). I did as you said and everything is working smoothly now!
Thanks again!

French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I don't have a title, but since whoever created this forum wants everyone to have one, here it is. Feb 10, 2012

I just wanted to thank you, Hal, you have just saved my day!

You're welcome!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Studio 2011 and MultiTerm 2011 -- Run as administrator

Advanced search

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search