Merete Hvas  Identity Verified
Denmark
Local time: 05:28
Member (2007)
English to Danish
+ ...
Dec 7, 2011

Hi,

I am sorry if this topic has been dealt with before. I have searched the forum but haven't been able to find anything on this.

Today I translated two Word docs (Word 97/2003 format), let's call them file A and file B, each of 1 page, using Trados Studio 2009. Everything seemed to go well (no error messages) until I opened the target translations: file B was completely empty, except from line breaks and bullit characters (of a bullited list that was supposed to be th
... See more
Hi,

I am sorry if this topic has been dealt with before. I have searched the forum but haven't been able to find anything on this.

Today I translated two Word docs (Word 97/2003 format), let's call them file A and file B, each of 1 page, using Trados Studio 2009. Everything seemed to go well (no error messages) until I opened the target translations: file B was completely empty, except from line breaks and bullit characters (of a bullited list that was supposed to be there). File A, however, was perfect.

Both files have the same format, use the same font and font size, and I have checked for unaccepted tracked changes. Nothing seems to be wrong with file B.

The way I worked around it was this:
I opened both source files, copied the text of file B (the one that caused me trouble), pasted it into file A, then saved it under the name of file B, thus overwriting the original source file. Then I ran a new Trados project with the two source files, and bingo - everything worked fine.

So my problem is solved, but what on earth went wrong in the first place? I have no idea whatsoever why this happened and can't seem to find anything on the Internet about it. Have any of you ever experienced this and figured out what went wrong? I sure would like to know how to avoid it in the future.
Collapse

Jean-Pierre Artigau (X)
Canada
Local time: 23:28
English to French
+ ...
Format of fonts? Dec 7, 2011

Hi Merete

The font formats sometimes change mysteriously between your source document and your target document (presumably because there are some "invisible" codes in the Word document due to previous modifications by your client). For example one sentence that was Times New Roman suddenly becomes Arial, or non-bold becomes bold; you just have to adjust things in your final document.

Here is what happened to me already: in my Target document, part of the text font was i
... See more
Hi Merete

The font formats sometimes change mysteriously between your source document and your target document (presumably because there are some "invisible" codes in the Word document due to previous modifications by your client). For example one sentence that was Times New Roman suddenly becomes Arial, or non-bold becomes bold; you just have to adjust things in your final document.

Here is what happened to me already: in my Target document, part of the text font was in "white" colour. Of course, on the white page, they became invisible to the human eye. All you do then is you select all your text (well, where your text should be), and change the colour.

Hope it helps.

Jean-Pierre
Collapse

Merete Hvas  Identity Verified
Denmark
Local time: 05:28
Member (2007)
English to Danish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Tried that Dec 7, 2011

Hi Jean-Pierre

Jean-Pierre Artigau wrote:All you do then is you select all your text (well, where your text should be), and change the colour

Hehe, I already tried that But there wasn't any text.

Merete

Oana Ţica
Romania
Local time: 06:28
English to Romanian
+ ...
A new Word file Dec 8, 2011

The same happened to me several times with Studio 2009 and the only solution (as Merete already mentioned) I could find was to open a new Word file (empty), copy the source and paste it into this new Word file. Then I opened a new Trados project, saved the target and everything was fine.
Unfortunately, I could not figure out why this happened or how such a thing could be prevented.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Studio 2009 generates empty target text

Advanced search

SDL Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within SDL Trados Studio

SDL Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search